What is Colimex Drops ?
Colimex drops is a antispasmodic and anti flatulent, which is prescribed for the treatment stomach and abdominal pain, diarrhea and GI tract spasm problems in children . This medicine is available as oral drops and is manufactured and marketed by Wallace Pharmaceuticals Ltd.. Each bottle contains 10 ml medicine.
- What is the generic name(s)?
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- Is this medicine addictive?
- What if I miss the dose of this medicine ?
- Can I travel after taking this medicine ?
- Can this medicine be taken on an empty stomach?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Can this medicine be given to infants?
- Is Colimex drops available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What is the generic name (s)?
The active ingredient or generic chemicals and there composition in each 1 mL drop of this medicine are listed below:
- Dicyclomine hydrochloride- 10 mg/1ml
- Dimethicone activated- 40 mg/1ml
How does it work ?
Dicyclomine hydrochloride – It is an Anticholinergic works by action of inhibition of ACH i.e, acetylcholine in smooth muscles helpful controlling of diarrhea and gastro intestinal tract spams.
Dimethicone anti-foaming agent used to reduce bloating or reduce pressure in stomach, symptoms .This works by decreasing the surface tension of smaller gas bubbles and forming into bigger gas which can be passed out easily through belching.Also prevents formation of gas in GI tract.In infants it is use in relief of colic.
What are it’s uses ?
Colimex drops drops can be administered in prevention, control and treatment of following diseases and conditions:
- stomach and abdominal pain
- diarrhea and gi tract spasm problems in children
- relieve of extra gas/bloating/pressure caused by air swallowing of certain foods/infant medicines or air swallowing
- Gastro-intestinal distress due to spasm Excessive gas
How effective is this medicine ?
This medicine is very effective for all the conditions mentioned above. It has to be taken in the correct dosage, frequency and for the right period/ duration of time. Please consult with a doctor or a qualified health expert for the correct diagnosis of the problem.
What are the Side Effects ?
Some of the commonly reported side-effects of Colimex drops medication are listed below:
- Dry mouth,
- Dizziness Fatigue,
- sedation, blurred
- vision Rash,
- loss of appetite
- Painful urination
- Photo allergy, sensitivity to sun
If you experience any of these side effects, Inform your doctor immediately . This list is not a comprehensive list of all the possible side effects of this drug.
Consult your doctor immediately if you develop any other medical conditions while using this medicine.
Is Colimex Drops addictive?
Habit forming tendencies for this medicine has not been reported. Most medicines don’t come with a potential for addiction. Government also categorizes medicines that can be addictive as controlled substances. Finally, do not self-medicate and increase your body’s dependence to medicines without taking the advice of a doctor.
What if I miss the dose of Colimex Drops ?
Can I travel after taking Colimex Drops ?
Irrespective of side effects, it is better to avoid travelling when your not well. This medicine may cause dizziness or headache as side effects. One should not travel if using the medicine that makes drowsy. Please check for these conditions on your body while using this medicine. Consult your paediatrician to discuss about your travel plans.
Can Colimex Drops be taken on an empty stomach ?
This medicine has to be taken after food. Please follow your doctor’s advice on how you to use this medicine.
What is the Dosage ?
The Colic aid drops can be given thrice a day for children below years 11 of age. The dosage for this medicine may vary with the patient’s age and the problem for which it is being administered.
Please consult with doctor to know about the correct dosage for the speedy recovery of the patient.
What are the precautions I need to take ?
While taking Colicaid drops, following precautions should be taken :
- This medicine is to be administered orally.
- Avoid contact with eyes, ears and nose.
- Tell your doctor if you are suffering from any Bleeding disorders
- Caution advised in the patient had undergone any surgeries recently
- Ask a doctor about the required dosage and frequency for this medicine
- Take full course of treatment
- Do not take this medicine if you are allergic to any of the ingredients of this medicine or any of their excipients
- Do not take this medicinal product after the expiry date stated on the carton package
- Tell your doctor if you are taking any medicine
- Discuss your pregnancy and breastfeeding plan with a doctor before using the medicine
- Do not consume alcohol during medication
Can this medicine be given to infants ?
Yes, this medicine can be given to infants under observation of a qualified pediatrician.
Consult a pediatrician about the dosage and therapeutic requirements before using this medicine for children and infants.
Is Colimex Drops available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
No, this medicine is not available as an over the counter or an OTC product. It is a prescription medicine, which is to be prescribed by a qualified doctor only. Please consult with the doctor regarding correct dosage, timing and duration of use of this medicine. Please do not self-medicate yourself with this medicine.
Frequently asked questions
Can This drops be given to elderly people ?
Yes, a regulated dose of colicaid can be given to elderly people. Take precaution while administering this medication on elderly people because side-effects are more likely to occur.
Can I take Colicaid syrup instead of drops ?
The concentration and composition of active ingredients may vary in syrup and drops. For the proper diagnosis and correct treatment and dosage of medicine, consult a healthcare expert first. In some cases you can take syrup instead of drops if you are not able to find the prescribed medicine in the market.