What is Colospa retard ?
Colospa retard is a branded tablet dosage form which is mainly prescribed for the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome which means discomfort in intestine may be due to diarrhea or constipation. This tablets are manufactured and marketed by Abbott India Ltd. Medicine is available in market in the packaging of 10 tablets per strip.
- What is the generic name(s)?
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- Is this medicine addictive?
- What if I miss the dose of this medicine ?
- Can I drive after taking this medicine ?
- Can this medicine be taken on an empty stomach ?
- Can I take this medicine with alcohol ?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
- Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
- Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
- Is Colospa retard available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What is the generic name (s)?
The generic component of Colospa Retard is Mebeverine. It is present in the strength of 200 mg in each tablet. Mebeverine belongs to class of medicines called as antispasmodics.
- Mebeverine 200 mg
How does it work ?
This should be taken 20min before or after having the food
What are it’s uses ?
- treatment of irritable bowel syndrome
- GI tract spasm
- Harder or loose stools
- Cramps In The Stomach
How effective is this medicine ?
It is a very effective medicine in the management of all the conditions mentioned above. Patient must follow doctor’s instruction on the time of administering, dosage and duration of the use of this medicine.
What are the Side Effects ?
Commonly reported side effects of colospa retard are being listed below:
- Abnormal heart rhythm
- Abdominal pain
- Loss of appetite
- Slow heartbeat
- Rash and/or itchy skin
Consult your doctor if you develop any other medical conditions while using this medicine.
Is Colospa retard addictive?
Habit forming tendencies for this medicine has not been reported. Most medicines don’t come with a potential for addiction. The government also categorizes medicines that can be addictive as controlled substances. Finally, do not self-medicate and increase your body’s dependence on medicines without taking the advice of a doctor.
What if I miss the dose of Colospa retard?
Can I drive after taking Colospa retard?
It is not safe to drive after taking this medicine if you experience dizziness or a headache as side effects. One should not drive a vehicle if using the medicine makes drowsy, dizzy or reduces your blood-pressure. Please check for these conditions on your body while using this medicine.
Can Colospa retard be taken on an empty stomach?
Yes, you can take it on empty stomach. Please follow your doctor’s advice on how you to use this medicine.
Can I take Colospa retard with alcohol?
Intake of this medicine with alcohol is not reported. How ever alcohol intake with medicine may intensify drowsiness. It is better to consult your doctor before consumption of this medicine. Pharmacists also suggest not to take alcohol while using this medicine.
What is the Dosage ?
The dosage of this tablet varies with the patient’s age and the problem for which it is being administered. For example, the typical dosage for adults is 1 tablet , twice a day.
Please consult with doctor to know about the correct dosage for the speedy recovery of the patient.
What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Take this medicine only if prescribed by the doctor
- Take full course of treatment
- Do not take this medicine if you are allergic to any of the ingredients of this medicine or any of their excipient
- Do not take this medicinal product after the expiry date stated on the carton package
- Tell your doctor if you are taking any medicine
- Before using colospa retard tablets , one should take precautions for all the below mentioned medical conditions:
- Patient with cardiac disorders
- Liver and kidney problems
- pregnant women
- Breast feeding women
- Alcohol dependent patients
- mild cardiac impairment
- Elders (Age 60+ years)
- Pregnant women
- Breast feeding women
This medicine may impair ability to drive or operate machinery, so avoid doing tasks which require your focused attention.
Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
This drug falls in pregnancy category C Animal studies have shown adverse effects on the fetus and there are no appropriate studies in pregnant women, but potential benefits may allow the use of the drug in pregnant women despite the potential for risks. This should be taken under doctor prescription .Consult a doctor before administering this medicine to a pregnant woman.
Consult your gynecologist before administering this drug. Please, do not self medicate.
Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
This drug is not considered safe if one considering breastfeeding.
If you’re breastfeeding or planning to start breast feeding, consult a doctor before using this medicine.
Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
colospa retard is contradicted to be given to children below 10 years of age.For information regarding the drug consult a physician.
This medicine is not intended to used for infants. This medicine can not only be harmful but also dangerous for them. Please consult your doctor to understand more about the use of this medicine.
Is Colospa retard available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
colospa retard is available as an over the counter or an OTC product. Please consult with the doctor regarding correct dosage, timing and duration of use of this medicine. Please do not self-medicate yourself with this medicine.
Frequently asked questions
Does mebeverine relieve period pains?
It is not known if it can be used for period pains or not
can mebeverine used as a laxative?
No it should not be used as laxative.
can mebeverine used to treat constipation or diarrhea?
Mebeverine on stoppin diarrhea is not known and can cause constipation
can mebeverine reduce bloating?
Yes, mebeverine reduces bloating
Can I take mebeverine with Omeprazole,Lansoprazole/Imodium/paracetamol,Co codamol/Loperamide?
There are no known serious drug interactions with Omeprazole, Lansoprazole, Imodium,paracetamol ,Co codamol, Loperamide. Consult your doctor before taking the medicines and known about drug interactions.
How long can I take mebeverine?
As directed by the doctor.
What are the storage precautions for this medicine?
You should take following precautions for storing this tablets:
- Keep the tablets in the original pack until it is time to take them.
- Keep the pack in a cool dry place.
- Do not store medicine in the bathroom or near a sink.
- Avoid direct contact with sunlight.
- Keep it away from the reach of children and pets.
- If the expiry date on the pack is passed, ask a pharmacist about ways of discarding it.