What is Cremaffin plus syrup ?
Cremaffin plus syrup is a combination of Liquid Paraffin and Milk of Magnesia. This syrup is used as a stool softener and also as a laxative which relieves constipation. The syrup is manufactured and marketed by Abbott India Pvt Limited. It is available in the packaging of 200 ml per bottle.
- What is the generic name(s)?
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
- Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
- Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
- Is Cremaffin plus syrup available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What is the generic name (s)?
Cremaffin plus syrup is a combination of two liquids, Milk of Magnesia (Magnesium Hydroxide) and liquid Paraffin.
A 200 ml bottle of this syrup contains:
Milk of Magnesia = 11.25 mg
Liquid paraffin = 3.75 mg
How does it work ?
When taken orally, Cremaffin plus syrup goes through into the fecal matter and softens it. Paraffin accelerates the osmosis and pour in more liquid in the stool and makes it softer.
It also activates the nerve fibers within the colon and reduces the pain caused due to the hard stools in external piles.
What are it’s uses ?
- Liquid paraffin is a lubricant and stool softener, it helps in easing the passing movement of stools through the bowel.
- Magnesium hydroxide relieves the constipation and also used to treat acidity, indigestion and also heartburn.
- This syrup contains antacids, which helps in reducing acidity and heartburn, acid indigestion.
- It also soothes upset stomach and ulcers.
- This medication neutralizes acid in the stomach.
- This medicine is an effective laxative and used in treatment of constipation.
How effective is this medicine ?
Creffamin plus syrup is a very effective medicine in all medical condition discussed above, if it is taken in the correct dosage frequency for the prescribed period of time by a qualified doctor.
What are the Side Effects ?
Cremaffin plus syrup requires prescription from a qualified doctor. If taken in incorrect dosage, this syrup can cause following side-effects:
- Anal irritation
- Lipoid Pneumonia
- Temporary visual disturbance
- Loss of appetite
- Muscular weakness
- Cardiac arrhythmia
- Abdominal pain
What is the Dosage ?
Please consult a qualified doctor and follow his or her recommendations. Self medicate can be dangerous. As instructed by doctors the recommended dose for this syrup is half to 1 tablespoon before going to sleep at night with water.
What are the precautions I need to take ?
- This syrup is not suitable for use in patients who has difficulty in swallowing food.
- Not recommended if you have impaired neuro-development.
- Do not take this medicine if you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy.
- Long term use of this medicine is not advised as it disturb the regular motion of bowels.
- This medicine should not be used as a laxative or stool softener for a long period.
- If you wear contact lenses, please remove them before using this medicine.
Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
No, it is not safe to take Cremaffin Plus Syrup if you are pregnant or are planning to be pregnant. Please share the actual status of your pregnancy with your doctor if being prescribed with this medicine. Otherwise it can be dangerous for the to be born baby.
This medicine belong to group ‘N’ in pregnancy category.
The pregnancy category of a medication is an assessment of the risk of fetal injury due to the pharmaceutical, if it is used as directed by the mother during pregnancy. The ‘N’ notes that FDA has not yet classified the drug into a specified pregnancy category.
Is it safe to take if I am breastfeeding ?
Yes, it is safe to this medicine if you are breastfeeding or are planning for breast feeding. This medicine is a mixture of Milk of magnesia and liquid Paraffin, which is safe to use for infants and children. Please consult with a doctor before taking this medicine.
Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
Yes, Cremaffin Plus Syrup can be given to children and infants. But it is advisable to use it only as an occasional laxative. It should not be taken regularly. This medicine contains liquid Paraffin, it can be unsuitable for prolonged and regular use. Paraffin can cause anal irritation it can interfere with the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins in body.Please consult with doctor before administering this medicine to children and infants.
Is Cremaffin plus syrup available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
No, this medicine is not available as an over the counter (OTC) product. It is a prescription medicine, which is to be prescribed by a qualified doctor only. Please consult with the doctor regarding correct dosage, timing and duration of use of this medicine. Please do not self-medicate yourself with this medicine.
Frequently asked questions
How long should I take this medicine?
It depends on the medical condition you are using it for. Since it is a prescription only drug, for duration of taking this medicine it is better to get it prescribed from a doctor.
I have been prescribed to take Cremaffin syrup for constipation, is this drug habit forming?
No, this drug is not habit forming. This syrup can be taken occasionally as a laxative or stool softener. Using this medicine frequently or for a long term can cause anal irritation and irregular bowel movement.
What to do if I overdose on Cremaffin plus syrup ?
Contact your doctor immediately.
Commonly noted symptoms of over dose are muscle weakness, slow or irregular heartbeat, mood changes such as confusion, shallow breathing, dizziness, decreased urination, extreme thirst, stomach pain, dry mouth, and , blood in stools, and vomiting.