What is Cypon syrup?
Cypon syrup is an medicated syrup which is useful in treating respiratory problems like sneezing, running nose or Rhinorrhea, cough and cold. It is manufactured and marketed by Geno Pharmaceuticals Ltd. It is available in the packaging of 200 ml per bottle.
- What is the generic name(s)?
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- Is this medicine addictive?
- What if I miss the dose of this medicine ?
- Can I drive after taking this medicine ?
- Can this medicine be taken on an empty stomach ?
- Can I take this medicine with alcohol ?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
- Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
- Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
- Is Cypon syrup available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What is the generic name (s)?
Cypon syrup has the following generics , also given is their composition with respect to their individual strength per 5 ml of the syrup:
How does it work ?
This syrup works by activating cholesterol particle present in the cell membrane and retaining more water in them. It also promotes the degeneration of liver. Cyproheptadine, generic component of this syrup is an antihistamine. It is useful in combating allergic conditions. To fight the symptoms of allergy it inhibits the actions of a naturally occurring substance in the body called histamine.
What are it’s uses ?
How effective is this medicine ?
Cypon syrup is a very effective medicine in all medical condition discussed above, if it is taken in the correct dosage frequency for the prescribed period of time by a qualified doctor.
What are the Side Effects ?
Some of the reported side effects of this syrup are :
- Dry mouth, taste disorders
- Dryness of throat, sputum and nose
- Feeling of exhaustion or tiredness
- Edema, reddening of skin
- Hallucinations, Faintness
- Low blood pressure
- Drowsiness, Dizziness
- Signs of flu like headache, sweating, fever, aches etc.
- Phases of nervousness and excitement
- Blurred vision
- Chest pain
- Pain in joint
- Stuffiness in nose
- Abdominal pain
- Movement disorders
- Breathing trouble
Stop using the medicine and seek emergency medical help or consult a doctor immediately if you see any of the adverse effects listed above.
Is Cypon Syrup addictive?
Habit forming tendencies for this medicine has not been reported. Most medicines don’t come with a potential for addiction. The government also categorizes medicines that can be addictive as controlled substances. Finally, do not self-medicate and increase your body’s dependence on medicines without taking the advice of a doctor.
What if I miss the dose of Cypon Syrup?
Can I drive after taking Cypon Syrup?
It is not safe to drive after taking this medicine if you experience dizziness or a headache as side effects. One should not drive a vehicle if using the medicine makes drowsy, dizzy or reduces your blood pressure. Please check for these conditions on your body while using this medicine.
Can Cypon Syrup be taken on an empty stomach?
This medicine has to be taken after food. Please follow your doctor’s advice on how you to use this medicine.
Can I take Cypon syrup with alcohol?
It is better to limit alcohol consumption while taking this medicine. Alcohol intake with medicine may intensify drowsiness. It is better to consult your doctor before consumption of this medicine.
What is the Dosage ?
Please consult a qualified doctor and follow his or her recommendations for the dosage of Cypon syrup. Dosage will depend on the condition for which it has to be administered.
Self medicate can be dangerous. As instructed by doctors the recommended dose for this syrup is 1 to 2 tablespoon, two times a day.
What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Take this medicine only on doctors advice
- Antihistamines can cause excitation in children
- Don’t consume alcohol while on this drug
- Don’t drive within 6 hours of taking this drug
- Precaution while using this medicine on infants, pregnant women and on breast feeding.
- Take full course of treatment
- Do not take this medicine if you are allergic to any of the ingredients of this medicine or any of their excipient
- Do not take this medicinal product after the expiry date stated on the carton package
- Tell your doctor if you are taking any other medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are suffering from any disease
- Keep this medicine out of the reach of children
Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
Yes, this medicine can be prescribed if you are pregnant or planning to get pregnant.
This drug is classified by FDA as pregnancy category ‘B’ No risk in other studies: Animal reproduction studies have failed to demonstrate a risk to the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women OR Animal studies have shown an adverse effect, but adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women have failed to demonstrate a risk to the fetus in any trimester.
Consult your gynecologist before administering this drug. Please, do not self medicate.
Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
Yes, it is safe to this medicine if you are breastfeeding or are planning for breast feeding. But for lactating mothers, it is advised to take non-sedating antihistamines. Please consult your doctor for the correct dosage and frequency of this medication; and also for alternative medicines.
Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
Yes, this medicine can be given and prescribed to children older than 1 year age. Consult a doctor for proper administration of Cypon syrup on children.
This medicine should not be given to neonates and infants.
Is Cypon syrup available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
No, Cypon syrup is not available as an over the counter or an OTC product. It is a prescription medicine, which is to be prescribed by a qualified doctor only. Please consult with the doctor regarding correct dosage, timing and duration of use of this medicine. Please do not self-medicate yourself with this medicine.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, a regulated dose with cautions can be given to elderly people. Take precaution while administering this medication on elderly people because side-effects are more likely to occur.
The concentration and composition of active ingredients may vary in Cypon syrup and drops. For the proper diagnosis and correct treatment and dosage of medicine, consult a healthcare expert first. In some cases you can take drops instead of syrup if you are not able to find the prescribed medicine in the market.