What is Demelan cream?
Demelan Cream is a branded skin fairness product sold by Glen Mark Pharmaceuticals Limited and is available as a 15 gram tube of cream for topical application.
- What is the generic name(s)?
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- Is this medicine addictive?
- What happens if it over-applied and how to manage? ?
- What to do in case there is an allergic reaction with it? ?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
- Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
- Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
- Is Demelan cream available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What is the generic name (s)?
Main ingredients of Demelan Cream are:
How does it work ?
Glycolic acid is an alpha hydroxy acid. It can penetrate deeper in the skin and treat skin lines, age spots and helps in reducing melanin on inner skin.
Kojic Acid is a whitening and oxidizing agent. It penetrates through the skin and oxidizes the melanocytes thereby lightens the complexion of skin.
Arbutin is a glycoside; a glycosylated hydroquinone extracted from the bearberry plant in the genus. It prevents the formation of melanin by inhibiting tyrosinase and is therefore used as a skin-lightening agent.
The medication works as a whitening agent used in the treatment of dark skin discoloration disorders such as hyperpigmentation and melasma. The cream also works as an exfoliant to remove dead skin cells that have been aggregated on the skins surface area to help diminish fine lines, wrinkles, pores and other aging signs to improve the appearance and texture of the skin.
What are it’s uses ?
The claimed uses of Demelan cream are Skin lightening and reduction of ageing spots, sun spots, dark patches & freckles.
How effective is this medicine ?
There are no studies conducted to prove the effectiveness or efficacy of Demelan cream for skin lightening and anti-ageing , but the claimed individual ingredients can be quite effective in pigmentation reduction and protection against inflammation (which causes wrinkles and freckles and thus ageing of skin).
Consult a dermatologist before using this cream to know if you can use it.
What are the Side Effects ?
Though the side effects due to interactions of the individual ingredients of this cream are not known, below are the commonly reported side effects of this medicine:
- Dry skin
- Irritation, burning or stinging at application site
- Itchy skin
Contact a doctor immediately should side effects persist or worsen.
Arbutin may cause skin rash as a side effect and it is not clear yet due to lack of studies.
Is Demelan cream addictive?
Habit forming tendencies for this medicine has not been reported. Most medicines don’t come with a potential for addiction. Government also categorizes medicines that can be addictive as controlled substances. Finally, do not self-medicate and increase your body’s dependence to medicines without taking the advice of a doctor.
What happens if Demelan cream over-applied and how to manage?
It is not recommended to use more than the prescribed dose. Taking more than the prescribed dose will not improve your symptoms, it may cause serious side-effects. If you suspect that you or anyone else who may have overdose, please go to the emergency department of the closest hospital. Do not give your used medicines to others. Please consult your physician or pharmacist or product package for more information.
What to do in case there is an allergic reaction with Demelan cream?
Some of the side effects of this medicine are skin irritation, dryskin, and stinging sensation.If you observe any of the above side effects, gently clean the affected area with cold water and have a cold compress on the affected area. Consult your doctor as soon as possible and take necessary remedies.
What is the Dosage ?
Here are 2 different suggested ways to use this cream that one may follow:
- The cream should be applied nightly and a good sunscreen should be applied in the following morning and this routine may be followed up to three weeks.
- Apply the cream twice a day on the Dark spots and freckles for the first two weeks, followed by nightly application for next few weeks and then decrease the frequency to once a week.
What are the precautions I need to take ?
- This skin can cause irritation on the first time. So better try it on alternative nights for two weeks before applying it every night.
- Avoid exposing your skin to the sun as it may cause sun burns resulting in to darkening of the skin, given it rapidly exfoliates the skin.Hence, it is advised to be used during night time only.
- One should carefully read about all the ingredients of this cream to ensure that they should not cause any reaction or allergies.
- For best results make sure to follow the instructions on how to use the product provided on the product.
- Though this cream is available as an over the counter product, it is better to take expert advice on the need to use it.
Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
For topical application this medicine is relatively safe to use during pregnancy, but should be used only if clearly needed.
Consult a doctor to know if this cream is safe for you.
Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
This medicine is relatively safe to use while breast feeding , but should not be applied any where near breast. Make sure the baby doesn’t come in to contact with the cream and use this medicine only when clearly needed.
Consult a doctor to know if this cream is safe for you.
Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
Demelan Cream can be used on children of age of more than one year under strict medical supervision.It should not be used under napkin or covered parts of body.For best results make sure to follow the instructions on how to use the product provided on the product.Taking advice from your doctor regarding its use on children will keep you on safer side.
This cream should not be used on infants. Please consult with a doctor to discuss any possible alternatives.
Is Demelan cream available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
Yes, Demelan cream is available as an over the counter product, but it is suggested that you consult a dermatologist to know if you can use this medicine on your skin.
Frequently asked questions
What to do if there is a direct contact of Demelan cream with eyes?
In case of direct contact with eyes, immediately wash the eyes with water and contact a doctor as soon as possible.
How long Demelan cream has to be used?
First you have to apply it overnight on alternate nights once at night for two weeks to ensure it is suiting your skin type.Then you can apply it each night for around six weeks. After that use of retinol cream will help you maintain your skin and daily use of sunscreen of SPF of more than 30 is recommended.
You might find this article interesting
Quadriderm Cream, is it safe? Use,dosage, side-effects