What is Deviry?Deviry is a branded drug used in the treatment of various types of cancers and problems related with reproductive organs in women. It is a hormonal medication. This medicine is manufactured and marketed by Elder Pharmaceuticals (acquired by Torrent Pharmaceuticals) and is available in the packaging of 10 tablets per strip.
- What is the generic name(s)?
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
- Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
- Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
- Is Deviry available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What is the generic name (s)?
The generic name for Deviry is Medroxyprogesterone. It is a progesterone derivative. It is present in the strength of 10 mg per tablet.
How does it work ?
Medroxyprogesterone is a ‘progestogen’ medicine. It is a derivative of sexual hormone called progesterone. This hormone can inhibit the growth of several types of tumors which are susceptible to it. Progesterone, which is a type of female hormone (progestin) and is similar to the hormone that your body naturally makes. Progesterone stimulates luteal actions, changes in uterus and vagina as seen in early pregnancy.
What are it’s uses ?
This medicine can be administered in the prevention, control and treatment of following diseases and condition:
- Menstrual problems
- Prevention of pregnancy
- Breast cancer
- Abnormal uterine bleeding
- Cancer in Kidney
- Metastatic cancer
- Menopause symptoms
How effective is this medicine ?
This tablet is very effective in the management of all the pain, fever and inflammatory disorders as mentioned above. One should use it after discussing the condition and other symptoms with a qualified doctor.
What are the Side Effects ?
Common side effects include :
- Abdominal pain
- Perineal pain (the perineum is the area between the vagina and the rectum)
- Increase appetite
- Joint pain
- Mood swings
- Sleep disorder
- Decreased libido
- Breast enlargement
- Excessive urination at night
- Vaginal discharge
- Upper respiratory tract infection
Some of the Serious side effects include :
- Blood clots, Progestational drug products may increase your chance of having blood clots in your blood vessels. Blood clots can cause :
- Blood vessel problems (thrombophlebitis)
- Loss of your arm or leg
- Blood clot in your lungs (pulmonary embolus)
- Heart attack
- Birth defects. Abdominal wall defect and cleft palate have been reported with Deviry use in early pregnancy. It is not known if these defects were caused by this medicine
Seek emergency medical help or consult a doctor immediately if you get any of the following signs or any other unusual symptoms that concern you:
- Pains in the calves or chest, a sudden shortness of breath or coughing blood indicating possible clots in the legs, heart or lungs.
- Severe headache or vomiting, dizziness, faintness, or changes in vision or speech, weakness or numbness of arm or leg indicating possible clots in the brain or eye.
What is the Dosage ?
The dosage of This tablet should be as prescribed by the doctor. This also varies with patient’s age and the medical condition being managed. Please consult with the doctor regarding the course and duration of administration of this medicine.
Generally, an adults may be prescribed with 1 tablet per day. The medicine is not advised for minors and elderly patients.
What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Take this medicine only if prescribed by the doctor
- Take full course of treatment
- Do not take this medicine, If you are allergic to any of the ingredients of this medicine or any of their excipients
- Do not take this medicine after the expiry date stated on the carton package
- Tell your doctor if you are taking any medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are suffering from any disease
- Keep this medicine out of the reach of children
- Seek emergency medical help or consult a doctor immediately, If the side effects persist or if you observe any of the serious side effects
Deviry tablets should not be used in individuals with any of the following conditions:
- Known sensitivity to progesterone or any of the other ingredients
- Undiagnosed vaginal bleeding
- Liver dysfunction or disease
- Known or suspected malignancy of the breast or genital organs
- Missed abortion
- Active thrombophlebitis or thromboembolic disorders, or a history of hormone-associated thrombophlebitis or thromboembolic disorders
Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
No, Deviry is not safe to take if you are pregnant or planning to get pregnant.
This drug is classified by FDA as pregnancy category ‘X’ Contraindicated in pregnancy: Studies in animals or humans have demonstrated fetal abnormalities and/or there is positive evidence of human fetal risk based on adverse reaction data from investigational or marketing experience, and the risks involved in use of the drug in pregnant women clearly outweigh potential benefits.
Consult a doctor before administering this medicine to a pregnant woman.
Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
Progesterone is reported to affect the quality of the breast milk, so it is suggested that this drug may administered to nursing mothers only when clearly necessary and the potential benefits from administering this drug outweighs the potential risks to the infant.
Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
No, this medicine is not safe to be given to children and infants.
The safety and effectiveness of Deviry tablets have not been confirmed and tested on children.
Is Deviry available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
No, Deviry tablet is not available as an over the counter (OTC) product. It is prescription only medicine and it should be prescribed by a qualified doctor.
Frequently asked questions
Can Progesterone increase breast size ?
Yes, Progesterone has a side effect of causing breast tenderness, discomfort and increase in breast size.
What if i happen to miss a dose of Deviry tablet?
You can take it if the time is not close for the next dose. Don’t take double dose in any case. Its always better to consult your doctor in such cases in order to avoid any bad or harmful effects.