What is Dexona ?
Dexona is a branded steroid supplement oral tablet manufactured and marketed by Zydus Adilac pharmacies.It is available in the packaging of 20 tablets per strip. This medication is prescribed to treat dysfunction or inactivity of adrenal gland and associated health conditions.
- What is the generic name(s)?
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
- Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
- Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
- Is Dexona available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What is the generic name (s)?
The generic name for Dexona is Dexamethasone, which is the active pharmaceutical ingredient in this medicine. In some other chemical forms such as Dexamethasone sodium phosphate, it is also used as oral drops and injections to treat inflammation, skin allergies, blood disorders, asthma and gastrointestinal disorders.
How does it work ?
Dexamthasone is a powerful corticosteroid hormone, which stimulate the adrenal gland and affect many metabolic functions. This reaction triggers the immune system to fight against inflammation, allergies and many other diseases. It achieves such anti-inflammatory benefits by decreasing the inflammatory chemicals released which are released by our immune system in order to fight the disease.
What are it’s uses ?
- Having strong anti-inflammatory properties this tablets are mainly used in treatment of Dermatological problems and in curing inflammation and skin irritation.
- It helps in curing skin allergies, dermatitis, acne, healing a wound, skin rashes, dry and scaly skin, urticaria, and fragile skin.
- While our immune system reacts with allergies and diseases, it releases inflammatory chemical in our body. This tablet reduces and maintain these inflammatory chemicals to safe levels. For example, by reducing the inflammation of lungs it helps in control of asthma, and controlling inflammation in joints gives a patient relief in arthritis.
- It aids in relieving of autoimmune disease, nausea and endocrine disorders.
- In case of a organ transplant, this medicine prevents the rejection of foreign body organ.
- It is also proven helpful in detection and treatment on Cushing’s Syndrome, a condition caused by long term exposure to high level of cortisol. Cushing’s syndrome can cause weight gain in midsection of body, fat accumulation around neck and face, and fat loss in limbs.
How effective is this medicine ?
Being used to treat many health issues discussed above, this medicine is very effective. Dexona is strong corticosteroid hence is not always advisable for all patients. If you are pregnant, trying to concieve a baby, breastfeeding or using other medications and supplements, consult with your doctor or health care provider before using this Medicine.
What are the Side Effects ?
Some commonly reported side-effects of Dexona tablets are being listed below:
- Acne and pimples on facial skin, inflammation, redness of skin and increased sweating. It can also cause serious allergic reactions as hives, itching, rashes and trouble in breathing.
- Incorrect dose can disrupt blood pressure causing abnormal heart rhythm, disturbance in normal blood circulation, inflammation in cardiac tissues, heart failure, blockage in arteries, increased risk of heart attack.
- Increased serum in enzymes secreted by liver, abdominal distention, swelling of liver, nausea, increased appetite
- Inflammation of pancreas and ulcers.
- Can cause distress and irritation in eyes
- Though it helps in treating arthritis and joint pain, unregulated dosage of this medicine can weaken joint muscles and weaken thigh bone too.
- It can also cause emotional instability, depression, mood swings, and insomnia.
What is the Dosage ?
This medicine can be taken orally as tablets. Since this drug in highly sensitive and can cause serious side-effects, the dosage depends on the conditions it is being administered for. For best result and suitable dosage please consult a doctor first.
What are the precautions I need to take ?
While taking these oral tablets precautions should be taken if the patient has any of the following conditions:
- Active fungal infection or disease in eyes.
- Viral infection
Person taking corticosteroid medication is advised to stay away from other infected persons, as it makes them more susceptible to infections.
Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
It can be advised to take this medicine while you are pregnant for all the potential benefits it has, but it is recommended to consult your doctor for prescribed dosage.
Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
No, this it is not safe to take this medicine if you are breastfeeding as secreted breast milk can have trace of corticostreoid in it which not safe for infants.
Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
Yes, a regulated dosage of this medicine can be given to children and infants.
Like in case of a viral disease Croup, Dexona can reduce the inflammation if the child is feeling difficulty in breathing due to swelling in lungs.
Is Dexona available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
No, Dexona tablets are not available as an over the counter (OTC) product. It is a prescription drug it is to be prescribed by a qualified doctor.
Frequently asked questions
Is Dexona a safe medicine ?
Yes, Dexona is relatively a safe medicine when used in dosage and frequency as prescribed by Doctor.
What to do if I overdose this medicine ?
In case of overdose of this medicine, immediately seek for medical attention.
High doses and long term use of this medicine can lead to serious medical conditions such as thinning of skin, growth retardation, disoriented shape and location of body fat. It can increase acne, pimples, facial hair, problem in menstruation, lack of interest in sex and even impotency.
How to store this tablet?
This tablet should be stored in a cool and dry place protected from direct sun light. Please keep this away from the reach of children and pets. Always discard it post expiry date.