What is Drotin DS ?
Drotin DS is a branded medicine which belongs to a class of drugs called antispasmodic drugs and it is generally prescribed for the treatment of smooth muscle spasm, colic pain and Dysmenorrhoea (painful menstruation) among other indications.
- What are the Generic Name(s)
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Is it safe to take If I am pregnant ?
- Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
- Can this medicine be given to Children and Infants ?
- Is this medicine available as over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What are the Generic Name(s)
Generic name of Drotin DS is Drotaverine Hydrochloride and this is available in strips of 10 tablets of 40mg and 80mg strength.
How does it work ?
Drotaverine Hydrochloride acts as a direct relaxant of the smooth muscles as it decreases the tone of smooth muscles, reduces intestinal peristalsis and dilates blood vessels.
What are it’s uses ?
Because of antispasmodic nature of Drotaverine Hydrochloride , It is generally used to relieve the pain of spasm of the smooth muscles in organs such as heart and stomach.
Drotin DS is generally prescribed for the treatment of pain due to conditions, like Dysmenorrhoea (painful menstruation), Gastrointestinal colic pain (stomach pain), Renal colic pain (abdominal pain usually caused by kidney stones), Post Medical Termination of Pregnancy (After abortion pain) and Uterine neck spasm among other conditions.
It is also used for the spasms of the smooth muscles associated with diseases of urinary tract: nephrolithiasis, ureterolithiasis, pyelitis and cystitis.
Drotaverine is also used to enhance cervical dilation during childbirth, to shorten the duration of labor.
How effective is this medicine ?
Drotaverine is a very effective medicine for the indications listed above and the on set of the effect is about 30 minutes and the action lasts until 4 hours.
For Cervical Dilation during delivery : Drotaverine is highly effective in reducing the duration of active phase of labour by hastening cervical dilatation and is more effective when given in more dilated cervix than with less dilatation and more effective in multigravida than in primigravida.
What are the Side Effects ?
Some of the common side effects of Drotin ds are :
- Headache and Dizziness
- Dry mouth
Some of the rare side effects of Drotaverine Hydrochloride include :
- Hypotension (an abnormally low blood pressure), particularly in patients with low baseline values of the blood pressure.
- Tachycardia (an abnormal rapid heart rate)
Seek emergency medical help or consult doctor immediately, if you experience any severe side effects or if the side effects persist or worsen.
What is the Dosage ?
Dosage of Drotin DS according to the age is given below :
|Adult (>18 years )||40mg to 80mg , 3 times a day|
|Children (4 – 6 years)||20mg, 2 to 3 times a day|
|Children ( > 6 years)||40 mg, 2 to 3 times a day|
The medicine can be taken with our without food , but is suggested that the medicine be taken with some water.
Consult doctor for exact dosage required for you.
What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Take this medicine only if prescribed by the doctor
- For old aged people, this medicine needs to be used with caution , as it is observed that Drotaverine Hydrochloride, in rare cases, can cause Hypotension and Tachycardia
- Tell your doctor if you have any heart, liver or kidney disease
- Tell your doctor if you have cardiac rhythm disorders or any other heart condition
- Tell your doctor if you are already taking any medicine
- Keep out of the reach and sight of children.
- Take full course of treatment
- Do not take this medicine if you are allergic to Drotaverine Hydrochloride or any of its excipients
- Due to possible side effects such as dizzines, it is suggested to avoid operating any machines including driving, while on treatment.
- Do not take this medicinal product after the expiry date stated on the carton package
Is it safe to take If I am pregnant ?
Drotin DS is categorised under pregnancy category C, reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks.
Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
No, Drotaverine Hydrochloride should be avoided for lactating mothers as there is not enough credible information on whether the drug affects the quantity or quality of the breast milk or if it passes to the baby through the breast milk.
Can this medicine be given to Children and Infants ?
This medicine should be avoided for infants.
Consult doctor before administering this medicine to children.
Is Drotin DS available as over the counter (OTC) product?
No, Drotaverine Hydrochloride is a prescription only medicine and is not available as an over the counter product.
Frequently asked questions
Is it safe to use during child birth to reduce the duration of labor ?
Yes, it is safe for both the mother and child.
I am taking levodopa for the treatment of parkinsons disease, can I take drotin ds ?
The effect of levodopa might be decreased if you take drotin ds along with levodopa, consult your doctor to prescribe you a different medicine.
I have stomach ache since last 2 days, can I take drotin ds ?
Yes, this medicine can be taken for general stomach ache, but it is suggested that you consult a doctor for comprehensive analysis on the exact nature and cause for the stomach pain and to know if this medicine is right for your condition.