What is Electral Powder ?
Electral powder is the brand name for a combination of electrolyte powder and carbohydrate. It is also called as Oral Rehydration salts (ORS). The powder is used mainly in the treatment of dehydration caused by diarrhea. This powder in manufactured and marketed by FDC limited. It is available in packaging of 21.80 gm powder per packet.
- What is the generic name(s)?
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- Is this medicine addictive?
- What if I miss the dose of this medicine ?
- Can I drive after taking this medicine ?
- Can this medicine be taken on an empty stomach ?
- Can I take this medicine with alcohol ?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
- Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
- Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
- Is Electral Powder available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What is the generic name (s)?
The main ingredients of Electral powder and their composition per packet is listed below:
- Anhydrous dextrose ———- 13.5 gm
- Potassium Chloride ———- 1.5 gm
- Sodium Chloride ———- 2.6 gm
- Sodium Citrate ———- 2.9 gm
How does it work ?
Anhydrous Dextrose – It is simple Glucose, used and required in many vital functions in the body.
Potassium Chloride - It is an essential mineral in the body. It is an ionic salt, prescribed for treatment of hypokalemia. This chemical is also required for many vital functions in the body.
Sodium Chloride - It’s common salt. Required for many regulatory functions of the body. Sodium is also required for optimizing the function of Sodium-Potassium pump in the cellular level.
Sodium Citrate - It is an alkaline agent. It works by neutralizing the acid level in blood and urine.
What are it’s uses ?
Electral powder is a very powerful mix of electrolytes in powder form. It is also called Oral It is used if the patient in dehydrated due to diarrhea or any other disease. This powder also contain high amount of sugar in in it, and can be prescribed if the patient is weak.
How effective is this medicine ?
Electral powder is very effective in the treatment of dehydration, if taken in proper dosage and frequency.
What are the Side Effects ?
If taken in proper dosage per requirement, Electrolyte powders usually do not have any side-effects. But overdose symptoms can be mild to moderate side-effects. Commonly reported side-effects are:
- Vomiting (mild)
- Convulsions (seizures)
- High blood pressure
- Fast heartbeat
- Muscle twitching
- Swelling of feet or lower legs
- Puffy eyelids
Is Electral powder addictive?
Habit forming tendencies for this medicine has not been reported. Most medicines don’t come with a potential for addiction. The government also categorizes medicines that can be addictive as controlled substances. Finally, do not self-medicate and increase your body’s dependence on medicines without taking the advice of a doctor.
What if I miss the dose of Electral powder?
Can I drive after taking Electral powder?
It is not safe to drive after taking this medicine if you experience dizziness or a headache as side effects. One should not drive a vehicle if using the medicine makes drowsy, dizzy or reduces your blood pressure. Please check for these conditions on your body while using this medicine.
Can Electral powder be taken on an empty stomach?
Yes, this medicine can be taken on an empty stomach. Please follow your doctor’s advice on how to use this medicine.
Can I take Electral powder with alcohol?
Intake of this medicine with alcohol is not reported. It is better to consult your doctor before consumption of this medicine. Pharmacists also suggest not to take alcohol while using this medicine.
What is the Dosage
Despite this powder being an over the counter product, regarding the dosage of Electral powder, please consult with a doctor as it will depend on the condition for which it has to be administered. For best results take it for the duration suggested by the doctor.
The powder is taken in the solution form with water.
What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Do not take this powder if you are on any other prescribed or non-prescribed medication.
- If you have High blood pressure, Fluid retention, intestinal hole or punctures.
- If you have heart disease, kidney problems and difficulty in urinating.
- If you have diabetes and undiagnosed rectal bleeding.
- If you have High sodium in blood
- If you are Pregnant or planning to get pregnant
- If you are breast feeding an infant or planning to start breast feeding.
- Take this medicine only if prescribed by the doctor
- Take full course of treatment
- Do not take this medicine if you are allergic to any of the ingredients of this medicine or any of their excipient
- Do not take this medicinal product after the expiry date stated on the carton package
- Tell your doctor if you are suffering from any disease
- Keep this medicine out of the reach of children
Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
This drug is classified by FDA as pregnancy category ‘C’ Risk not ruled out: Animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus. There are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans. But potential benefits may allow use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks.
Consult a doctor before administering this medicine to a pregnant woman.
Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
Please consult a doctor before using Electral powder, if you are breast feeding or planning to start breast feeding a baby.
Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
Yes, this powder can be given to children and infants under medical supervision.
Consult a pediatrician before administering this medicine to children and infants.
Is Electral Powder available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
Yes, Electral powder is available as an over the counter (OTC) product. But it is advised to consult a doctor for correct diagnosis of the disease and proper dosage of this medicine. Do no Self medicate, Self medication can be dangerous.
Frequently asked questions
Can I take take powder on a regular basis ? Any risks involved ?
Yes, you can take this powder in proper dilution as written on the packet. This powder contains high amount of sugar and sodium. Take advice from a doctor and discuss about the correct dosage. Taking high dosage of this powder can increase your blood pressure and blood sugar levels and lead to diabetes also.
Can Electral Powder be taken for iron deficiency?
No, it is not used to manage iron deficiency. Also, iron is not an ingredient of this powder. This powder is used only in to treat dehydration and weakness.