What is Entamizole ?
Entamizole is a branded form of oral ornidazole tablet , manufactured and marketed by Abbott India Ltd and is generally prescribed for the treatment of various types of infections.It is available in the packaging of ten tablets per strip.
- What are the Generic Name(s)?
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Is it safe to take If I am pregnant ?
- Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
- Can this medicine be given to Children and Infants ?
- Is Entamizole available as over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What are the Generic Name(s)?
The generic medicine for Entamizole is Ornidazole. This is present in a strength of 500 mg per tablet.
Ornidazole is an antiprotozoal and antibacterial medicine.
How does it work ?
Entamizole is an antiamoebic agent. It causes death of cells and inhibition of protein production by interacting with the DNA which is present inside the micro-organisms.
What are it’s uses ?
Entamizole is very effective in the management of below mentioned medical conditions:
- various types of vaginal infections primarily.
- It is also helpful in creating unfavorable conditions for such infections during surgeries and similar procedures.
- It is also useful in curing infections found in intestines, urinary tract and other body parts. These are caused by both single-celled parasites or amoeba called protozoa and a type of bacteria that don’t use oxygen ( anaerobic bacteria).
- Ornidazole as a generic, belonging to the anti-protozoan class, also treats amoebal infections like amoebic dysentery, trichomoniasis, bacterial vaginosis, amebiasis,giardiasis.
How effective is this medicine ?
Entamizole is a very effective medicine for all the conditions mentioned above, if it is taken in the correct dosage frequency for the prescribed period of time by the doctor.
What are the Side Effects ?
Some commonly reported side-effects of Entamizole are:
- allergic reactions like itching
- loose motions or diarrhea
- abnormal LFTs
- taste disturbances
Patients who are sensitive to “azole” type of antibiotics may experience some central nervous system defects like loss of coordination, tremors, rigid stiff muscles, tiredness and numbness of the fingers and toes.
What is the Dosage ?
Typically the dosage of Entamizole ranges between one tablet to three tablets per day from one day to up to seven days.Consult with a doctor regarding the dosage and the duration of the course of this medicine, as it varies from one case to another.
What are the precautions I need to take ?
Following precautions should be exercised when under this medicine’s course:
- Be sure that you are not allergic to Ornidazole, the main active generic ingredient of this medicine. Share with your doctor if you experience any abnormal change after taking this medicine.
- If the patient is old or is a child.
- This medicine may cause disturbance in concentrating well, hence, if you need to do certain tasks which seek your focused attention, such as driving or operating a machine then avoid taking this medicine.
- This medicine either has to be taken while having your food or soon after having your meal.
- Consult your doctor before taking this medicine if you have epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, kidney or liver disease.
- Before taking this medicine please do consult your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
- Before taking this medicine please do consult your doctor if you are breast-feeding or planning for breast-feeding.
- Renal And Hepatic Impairment.
- This medicine is not to be taken on an empty stomach, for it may cause an upset stomach.
- This medicine has to be swallowed with water as a whole.
Is it safe to take Entamizole if I am pregnant ?
No, it is not safe to take this medicine if your are pregnant ( especially when you are in your first trimester of pregnancy) or are planning a pregnancy.Consult with your doctor thoroughly if being prescribed for this medicine.
Is it safe to take Entamizole if I am breast feeding ?
No, it is not safe to take this medicine if you are breastfeeding or are planning for breast feeding. Consult with your doctor thoroughly if being prescribed for this medicine, as while breastfeeding this can get mixed with the blood and get transferred to the baby. This can result into bad or harmful effects.
Can this medicine be given to Children and Infants ?
In some cases this medicine can be given to children under strict supervision of the doctor. Please consult with your doctor to understand more about the medicine in case it is being prescribed for a child.
But, this tablet can not be given to infants as it has to be swallowed full with water.
Is this medicine available as over the counter (OTC) product?
No, this medicine is not available as an over the counter or OTC product. It is a prescription drug, to be prescribed only by a qualified doctor.
Frequently asked questions
How long should I take this medicine?
For duration of taking this medicine it is better to get it prescribed from your doctor , as it varies from case to case.Generally the duration of administering this drug is up to seven days.
Is there any difference between ornidazole and metronidazole?
They both belong to the same family of drugs, but are two different drugs. They are used in the management of similar problems.
What if i happen to miss a dose?
You can take it if the time is not close for the next dose. Don’t take double dose in any case. Its always better to consult your doctor in such cases in order to avoid any bad or harmful effects.
How to store this medicine?
This medicine has to be stored in a cool and dry place at room temperature ( below 25 degree Celsius), away from the reach of children. It is advised to use an air-tight container for the storage of this medicine. Also, discard the medicine post its expiry date.
Can cancer be caused as a bad effect of this medicine?
No, currently there are no research/reports/studies which suggest that this medicine can cause cancer in any way.
What is the contraindication of this medicine?
The contraindication for this medicine is hypersensitivity to the derivatives of nitroimidazole .