What is Febrex plus?
Febrex Plus is an oral prescription medicine used in the treatment of fever, headache and pains. It is manufactured by Indoco remedies Ltd. It is available as both tablet , 10 tablets per strip, and as syrup, in the packaging of 60 ml per bottle. Though, they are composed of the same set of generics, their strengths are different.
- What is the generic name(s)?
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
- Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
- Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
- Is Febrex plus available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What is the generic name (s)?
Febrex Plus has the following generic composition as being described below along with their strengths in both forms:
- per Tablet : Phenylephrine (10 mg) + Paracetamol (500 mg)
- per 5 ml of syrup : Phenylephrine (10 mg) + Paracetamol (500 mg)
How does it work ?
Phenylephrine: It causes constriction of the blood cells causing a reduction in the swelling of the tissues of the nose by stimulating the receptors present on them. Because of this the nasal congestion gets relieved as there is a decrease in the blood flow in the nose blood vessels.
Paracetamol : It is an analgesic or in simple terms a painkiller and also a fever reducing antipyretic. Basically it raises the threshold level of pain and acts on that region of brain which regulates the body temperature. This causes an increase in the flow of blood throughout the skin, along with heat loss and sweating.
What are it’s uses ?
- Ear ache and ear infections
- Watery eyes caused by allergies
- Hay fever
- Food allergies
- Nasal congestion
- Tooth and jaw pain
- Headache and migraine
- Muscular pain
- Menstrual pain and cramps
- Cold, flu and fever
- Bones and joints pain
- Pain in air cavities around nose
- Swelling and inflammation
- Sore throat
- Blood clots
- Rheumatoid arthritis, Osteoarthritis
How effective is this medicine ?
Febrex Plus is very effective in the management of all the pain, fever and inflammatory disorders as mentioned above. One should use it after discussing the condition and other symptoms with a qualified doctor.
What are the Side Effects ?
Following are the commonly reported side effects of Febrex Plus:
- Excitability in children
- Dry mouth
- Dry nose
- Respiratory depression or difficulty
- Feeling need to vomit
- Facial swelling, like on mouth, lips, cheeks etc
- Feeling of restlessness
- Change in rate of heart beats
- Blurring of vision
- Buzzing in ears
- Difficulty while urinating
- Usually mild drowsiness
- GI upset
- Rarely thickening of bronchial secretions
Seek emergency medical help or consult a doctor immediately if you observe any serious or persistent side effects.
What is the Dosage ?
The dosage of this medicine varies with the patient’s age, medical history and the problem for which it is being administered. For example, the typical dosage for adults is upto 1 tablet , thrice a day and upto 10 ml syrup, thrice a day.
Please consult with doctor to know about the correct dosage for the speedy recovery of the patient.
What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Take this medicine only if prescribed by the doctor
- Do not consume alcohol while taking this medicine
- Do not consume tobacco, do not smoke tobacco products.
- Take full course of treatment
- Do not take this medicine if you are allergic to any of the ingredients of this medicine or any of their excipient
- Do not take this medicinal product after the expiry date stated on the carton package
- Tell your doctor if you are taking any medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are suffering from any disease
- Keep this medicine out of the reach of children.
Caution should be implied if the patient is :
- On any other prescribed or non-prescribed medication.
- An alcoholic or smoker
- Have hypertension and bladder neck obstruction
- Is elderly or children.
- Is suffering from glaucoma, epilepsy and coronary artery diseases.
- Has any renal and hepatic impairments
- Is Pregnant or breastfeeding.
Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
This drug is classified by FDA as pregnancy category ‘B’ No risk in other studies: Animal reproduction studies have failed to demonstrate a risk to the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women OR Animal studies have shown an adverse effect, but adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women have failed to demonstrate a risk to the fetus in any trimester.
It can be taken if you are pregnant or are planning to be pregnant. Please share the actual status of your pregnancy with your doctor for the correct prescription of this medicine.
Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
No, this medicine is not safe to take if you are breast feeding or planning to start breast feeding. There are strong evidences that the generic Paracetamol of this drug, is secreted through breast milk. However studies have shown no harm from paracetamol to neonates.
Please consult your doctor before using this medicine if your nursing a baby.
Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
This medicine can be prescribed to children under strict medical supervision.
The effect of Febrex plus is not clear in infants and neonates hence it should be avoided.
Consult a pediatrician about the dosage and frequency of the medicine before administering it on young children.
Is Febrex plus available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
No, Febrex plus is not available as an over the counter (OTC) product. It is prescription medicine. It has to be prescribed by a qualified specialist only.
Frequently asked questions
Missed a dose of Febrex plus, what should I do ?
In case you missed a dose of Febrex Plus, you can take it as soon as you remember about it. But if it is close to the time of next dose, skip the missed dose and continue the routine with next dose.
Do not take double dose/ overdose of this medicine. Taking extra dose will not improve your symptoms and condition, rather it may cause serious side effects and medicinal poisoning.