What is Fenistil drops?
Fenistil drops is the brand name for an antihistaminic medicinal solution. It is a clear, colorless solution available in the form of drops. This medicine is used ion the treatment of allergic reactions such as rashes and irritation. This drop is manufactured by Novartis Consumer Health SA. Each bottle contains 20 ml medicine.
- What is the generic name(s)?
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
- Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
- Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
- Is Fenistil drops available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What is the generic name (s)?
The active ingredient and the generic name for Fenistil drops is Dimethindene maleate and it is present in the strength of 0.1 gram per 100 ml.
How does it work ?
Dimethindene maleate is an anti-allergic medication. It is from antihistamine class of medicines, is useful in combating allergic conditions. To fight the symptoms of allergy it inhibits the actions of a naturally occurring substance in the body called histamine.
What are it’s uses ?
Fenistil drops is used to treat Itching, rashes and other allergic conditions originating from eczema, insect bite/ sting, dermatitis, urticaria and skin itching caused by chicken pox.
It’s also used in the treatment of allergic reactions like rhinitis, hay fever, and nose blockages.
How effective is this medicine ?
This medicine is very effective in the treatment of all the diseases listed above, when taken in dosage and frequency as suggested by the Doctor.
What are the Side Effects ?
Some of the reported side effects of Fenistil drops are :
- Drowsiness, Dizziness
- Signs of flu like headache, sweating, fever, aches etc.
- Phases of nervousness and excitement
- Blurred vision
- Pain in belly
- Chest pain
- Pain in joints
- Stuffiness in nose
- Abdominal pain
- Movement disorders
- Breathing trouble
- Inability to think clearly
- Dry mouth, taste disorders
- Feeling of exhaustion or tiredness
Stop using the medicine and seek emergency medical help or consult a doctor immediately if you see any of the adverse effects listed above.
What is the Dosage ?
The commonly prescribed dosage for Fenistil drops is described below:
- Adults: Upto 6 ml Daily – Divided in three doses of 2 ml each
- Children (above 3 years) : Two doses daily – 2 ml each
- Children (below 3 years) : Not more than 3 ml in a day
- Infants : Upto 2 ml daily
The dosage for this medicine may vary with the patient’s age and the problem for which it is being administered.
Please consult with doctor to know about the correct dosage for the speedy recovery of the patient.
What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Take this medicine only on doctors advice
- Antihistamines can cause excitation in children
- Don’t consume alcohol while on this drug
- Don’t drive within 12 hours of taking this drug
- Precaution while using this medicine on infants, pregnant women and on breast feeding.
- Take full course of treatment
- Do not take this medicine if you are allergic to any of the ingredients of this medicine or any of their excipient
- Do not take this medicinal product after the expiry date stated on the carton package
- Tell your doctor if you are taking any other medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are suffering from any disease
- Keep this medicine out of the reach of children
Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
Yes, this medicine can be prescribed if you are pregnant or planning to get pregnant.
This drug is classified by FDA as pregnancy category ‘B’ No risk in other studies: Animal reproduction studies have failed to demonstrate a risk to the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women OR Animal studies have shown an adverse effect, but adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women have failed to demonstrate a risk to the fetus in any trimester.
Consult your gynecologist before administering this drug. Please, do not self medicate.
Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
Yes, you can take this medicine if you are breast feeding or planning to start breast feeding. Consult your Doctor or a healthcare expert before administering this medicine to lactating mothers.
Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
Yes, this medicine can given to children and also to infants.
Consult a pediatrician about the dosage and therapeutic requirements of the patient child, before using this medicine for children and infants.
Is Fenistil drops available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
No, Fenistil drops is not available as an over the counter or an OTC product. It is a prescription medicine, which is to be prescribed by a qualified doctor only. Please consult with the doctor regarding correct dosage, timing and duration of use of this medicine. Please do not self-medicate yourself with this medicine.
Frequently asked questions
Can Fenistil drops be given to elderly people ?
Yes, a regulated dose with cautions can be given to elderly people. Take precaution while administering this medication on elderly people because side-effects are more likely to occur.
Can I take Fenistil syrup instead of drops ?
The concentration and composition of active ingredients may vary in syrup and drops. For the proper diagnosis and correct treatment and dosage of medicine, consult a healthcare expert first. In some cases you can take syrup instead of drops if you are not able to find the prescribed medicine in the market.