What is Fertomid 50
Fertomid 50 is a non-steroidal fertility medicine, which is used to treat infertility in both men and women , in women for infertility due to problems in ovulation and in men due to decreased production of sperms.
- What are the Generic Name(s)
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Is it safe to take If I am pregnant ?
- Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
- If I take this medicine will I have twins?
- Is Fertomid 50 available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What are the Generic Name(s)
Generic name of Fertomid 50 is Clomiphene Citrate or Clomifene and is a branded medicine manufactured by Cipla.
This medicine is available in the strengths of 50mg and 25 mg.
How does it work ?
Normally in a menstrual cycle after ovulation oestrogen levels rise, this oestrogen signals the receptors in brain called the hypothalmus, which in turn signals pituitary gland to stop releasing the follicle stimulating hormones and luteinising hormones (which causes the ovulation).
The main ingredient ,Clomiphene Citrate in Fertomid 50 belongs to a class of drugs called anti-oestrogen, which blocks the receptors in hypothalmus as a result the pituitary gland keeps releasing follicle stimulating hormones and luteinising hormones, which eventually results in the increasing the chance of the release of egg from the ovaries (ovulation).
What are it’s uses ?
Fertomid 50 or Clomiphene Citrate is on the list of WHO model list of essential medicines, which is a list of most important medications needed in a basic health system.
It is a widely prescribed drug for the treatment of infertility in women caused by
- Anovulation : Absence of ovulation in women, when it is normally expected(in a post-menarchal , premenopausal woman)
- Oligoovulation : Infrequent or irregular ovulation (usually defined as cycles of ≥36 days or <8 cycles a year)
How effective is this medicine ?
Taking Fertomid 50 , doesn’t directly lead to ovulation, but kicks off a chain reaction for the release of egg , which increases the chances of ovulation. Normally it takes 5 to 10 days for the ovulation to occur after the last dose of the medicine is administered.
What are the Side Effects ?
Some of the common side effects of Clomiphene Citrate are :
- Swelling or bloating of abdomen or pelvis
- Stomach upset
- Hot flushes ( a sudden feeling of feverish heat )
- Weight gain
- Enlarged ovaries
- Nausea and vomiting
- Menorrhagia (heavy menstrual bleeding)
- Dysmenorrhea (painful menstruation)
- Breast pain
- Skin rash
among other side effects.
What is the Dosage ?
For Induction of Ovulation : Clomiphene Citrate should be taken orally, in 50 mg dose, once daily in 5 day cycle, starting on or around 5th day of the menstrual cycle, but may be started anytime for the patients with no recent vaginal bleeding.
If the ovulation was induced and there was no pregnancy, then the dosage may be repeated up to two courses after 30 days after the previous course and the pregnancy is excluded.
For the treatment of Oligozoospermia (decreased production of sperms in men) : Clomiphene Citrate is administered orally, in 25 mg to 100 mg doses, over several days as prescribed by the doctor.
What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Only take this medicine if prescribed the doctor
- Get your pregnancy test done before taking this medicine
- Take this medicine along with some water
- Take this medicine at the same time each day, whether it is morning or evening
- If you forgot to take your dose, contact your doctor
- Do not change the dosage or frequency of the dosage of the medicine
Tell your doctor if :
- you have a history of seizures
- you have a history hypertriglyceridaemia (raised levels of triglycerides in blood ) or if you have a family history of hypertriglyceridaemia
- you have ovarian cyst
- you have Uterine fibroids (leiomyomata)
Seek emergency medical help or consult your doctor immediately if during the treatment , you :
- have a skin rashes or hives
- have breathing difficulty , difficulty in swallowing
- feeling chest tightness
- have pelvic or abdominal discomfort or swelling
- have breast discomfort
- have less need to urinate
- have any other serious discomfort
Is it safe to take If I am pregnant ?
No, Clomiphene Citrate is not safe to take during pregnancy and should be strictly avoided if you are pregnant or if you think you are pregnant.
Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
No, Clomiphene Citrate should not be taken if you are a lactating mother as it may affect the quality and quantity of the breast milk.
If I take this medicine will I have twins ?
If you get pregnant due to this treatment, there is an increased chance of multiple pregnancy i.e, having twins or triplets.
Is Fertomid 50 available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
No this medicine is only available on doctors prescription and is not available as an over the counter product.
Frequently asked questions
I have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS), can I take Fertomid 50 to get pregnant ?
If you are suffering from Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, Clomiphene Citrate can cause the cysts to become bigger, so Doctor may prescribe you lower dose or shorter course, consult your doctor before taking this medicine
Do I need to take this medicine with food ?
It is not necessary that you take this medicine with food, but take some water along with the medicine.
Is Fertomid 50 safe ?
This is a relatively safe medicine, if used as directed consult doctor for a comprehensive analysis.
How long can I take Fertomid 50 ?
This medicine should not be taken for more than 6 cycles, and not more than 5 days a cycle, as it may increase the risk of ovarian cancer.