What is Fertomid 50 ?
Fertomid 50 is the brand name for laminated tablet, which is prescribed for the treatment of infertility in women and men. This tablet can be administered orally. This medicine is manufactured and marketed by Cipla limited. It is available in the packaging of 10 tablets per strip.
- What is the generic name(s)?
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
- Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
- Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
- Is Fertomid 50 available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What is the generic name (s)?
The generic salt and the active ingredient present is Fertomid 50 is Clomifene. It is an antiestrogen drug. It is present in the strength of 50 mg per tablet.
How does it work ?
This medicine works by establishing hormonal balance in the body. It helps in the regulation of egg production and release from the ovaries. In males, it helps in the production of sperm.
What are it’s uses ?
This medicine is used in treatment of hormonal imbalance and to cure infertility problems in both males and females.
How effective is this medicine ?
Fertomid 50 tablet is very effective in the management of all the disorders as mentioned above. One should use it after discussing the condition and other symptoms with a qualified doctor.
What are the Side Effects ?
Some of the commonly reported side-effects of this medication are listed below :
- Visual disorders
- Blurred and cloudy vision
- Abdominal pain
- Vosomotor flushes
- Ovarian Enlargement
- Multiple pregnancies
- Abnormal functionality of Liver
- Uterine bleeding
- Multiple cysts in ovary (Polycystic ovaries)
- Ovarian tumor
- Breast tenderness
- Skin irritations
- Hyperstimulated ovaries
If you experience any of these side effects, Inform your doctor immediately . This list is not a comprehensive list of all the possible side effects of this drug.
Consult your doctor immediately if you develop any other medical conditions while using this medicine.
What is the Dosage ?
The typical dosage for adults is 1 tablet per day.
The dosage for females starts with first tablet on the fifth day of the menstruation or from any day when menstruation cycle is absent.
The dosage however varies with the patient’s age, medical history and the problem for which it is being administered.
Please consult with doctor to know about the correct dosage for the speedy recovery of the patient.
What are the precautions I need to take ?
One should take following precaution before start taking this medicine:
- Should not take these medicine unless prescribed by a qualified doctor.
- If reduction in dosage is possible, reduction should be gradual.
- Do not take clomifene if you have polycystic ovaries or liver disease.
- Do not take if you are allergic to Clomifene or any any other component of this medicine.
- This medicine is not suitable for infants and children
- Should not use this medicine for prolonged time.
- Keep the medicine in room temperature and avoid contact with direct sunlight.
- Always take the medicine in proper prescribed dosage by a qualified doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are on any other prescribed or non-prescribed medication
- Do not take clomifene If you are breast feeding or planning to start breast feeding
- Do not take clomifene If you are Pregnant or planning to get pregnant
This medicine may impair ability to drive or operate machinery, so avoid doing tasks which require your focused attention.
Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
No, This drug is not safe to administer to pregnant women.
Clomifene has been assigned to pregnancy category ‘X’ by the FDA, which implies that the medicine is Contraindicated in pregnancy: Studies in animals or humans have demonstrated fetal abnormalities and/or there is positive evidence of human fetal risk based on adverse reaction data from investigational or marketing experience, and the risks involved in use of the drug in pregnant women clearly outweigh potential benefits.
It should not be taken without consulting with your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning to be pregnant. Please share the actual status of your pregnancy with your doctor for the correct prescription of this medicine
Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
It can be unsafe to take fertomid 50 if you are breast feeding or are planning for breast feeding. Consult with a doctor if you are breastfeeding or planning to start breastfeeding before using this medicine.
Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
No, Fertomid 50 should not be given to children and infants. This medicine is only for adults to use. Keep this tablet away from the reach of children. If a child accidentally takes this tablet, rush him immediately to your doctor.
Is Fertomid 50 available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
No, Fertomid 50 is not available as an over the counter or an OTC product. It is a prescription medicine, which is to be prescribed by a qualified doctor only. Please consult with the doctor regarding correct dosage, timing and duration of use of this medicine. Please do not self-medicate yourself with this medicine.
Frequently asked questions
Can Fertomid 50, cause breast cancer ?
No, there are no reported cases of breast cancer caused due to this drug, but take your doctor’s advice before using this drug, if you have any history of breast cancer.
How to store Fertomid 50 tablets ?
This medicine should be stored in a dry place protected from heat and direct light. For more information on how to store please refer to the instructions mentioned on the packaging of this tablet.