What is Kojivit Gel?
Kojivit gel is a branded skin care product sold by Miicro Labs Limited and is available as a 15 gram tube of gel for topical application. This gel is prescribed in the management of post inflammatory pigmentation in acne scars.
- What is the generic name(s)?
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- Is this medicine addictive?
- What happens if it over-applied and how to manage? ?
- What to do in case there is an allergic reaction with it? ?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
- Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
- Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
- Is Kojivit Gel available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What is the generic name (s)?
Main ingredients and generic components of Kojivit Gel are:
- Koijic Acid (2% w/w)
- Arbutin (1.5% w/w)
- Vitamin E (1% w/w)
- Octinoxate (7.5% w/w)
- Mulberry extract (1% w/w)
How does it work ?
Kojic Acid is a whitening and oxidizing agent. It penetrates through the skin and oxidizes the melanocytes thereby lightens the complexion of skin.
Arbutin is a glycoside; a glycosylated hydroquinone extracted from the bearberry plant in the genus. It prevents the formation of melanin by inhibiting tyrosinase and is therefore used as a skin-lightening agent.
Vitamin E is a natural moisturizer and it treats sunburns. It can also decrease pigmentation and reduce sign of aging from skin.
Octinoxate is found in many cosmetics and sunscreens. It works by absorbing the UV-B rays from the sun, and thus protects the skin.
Mulberry Extracts works by inhibiting the tyrosinase activity an reducing the production of melanin pigment.
What are it’s uses ?
Kojivit gel can be administered in the prevention, control and treatment of following diseases and conditions:
- Chronic skin disorder
- Age spots
- Post-inflammatory pigmentation of the skin
- Wrinkles and lines on skin
- Hypomelanotic skin pigmentation disorders
- Premature aging
- Acne Scars
- Skin lightening
- Controls blood sugar
How effective is this medicine ?
There are no studies conducted to prove the effectiveness or efficacy of Kojivit gel for skin lightening and anti-ageing , but the claimed individual ingredients can be quite effective in pigmentation reduction and protection against inflammation (which causes wrinkles and freckles and thus ageing of skin).
Consult a dermatologist before using this medicine to know if you can use it.
What are the Side Effects ?
Though the side effects due to interactions of the individual ingredients of this medicinal gel are not known, below are the commonly reported side effects of this medicine:
- Dry skin
- Irritation, burning or stinging at application site
- Itchy skin
Contact a doctor immediately should side effects persist or worsen.
Arbutin may cause skin rash as a side effect and it is not clear yet due to lack of studies.
Is Kojivit Gel addictive?
Habit forming tendencies for this medicine has not been reported. Most medicines don’t come with a potential for addiction. Government also categorizes medicines that can be addictive as controlled substances. Finally, do not self-medicate and increase your body’s dependence to medicines without taking the advice of a doctor.
What happens if Kojivit Gel over-applied and how to manage?
It is not recommended to use more than the prescribed dose. Taking more than the prescribed dose will not improve your symptoms, it may cause serious side-effects. If you suspect that you or anyone else who may have overdose, please go to the emergency department of the closest hospital. Do not give your used medicines to others. Please consult your physician or pharmacist or product package for more information.
What to do in case there is an allergic reaction with Kojivit Gel?
Some of the side effects of this medicine are skin irritation, dry skin, and Inflammation.If you observe any of the above side effects, gently clean the affected area with cold water and have a cold compress on the affected area. Consult your doctor as soon as possible and take necessary remedies.
what is the Dosage ?
Here are 2 different suggested ways to use this medicine that one may follow:
- The medicine should be applied nightly and a good sunscreen should be applied in the following morning and this routine may be followed up to three weeks.
- Apply the topical gel twice a day on the Dark spots and freckles for the first two weeks, followed by nightly application for next few weeks and then decrease the frequency to once a week.
What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Though this gel is available as an over the counter product, it is better to take expert advice on the need to use it.
- Avoid exposing your skin to the sun as it may cause sun burns resulting in to darkening of the skin, given it rapidly exfoliates the skin. Hence, it is advised to be used during night time only.
- One should carefully read about all the ingredients of this medicine to ensure that they should not cause any reaction or allergies.
- This skin can cause irritation on the first time. So better try it on alternative nights for two weeks before applying it every night.
- For best results make sure to follow the instructions on how to use the product provided on the product.
Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
For topical application Kojivit gel is relatively safe to use during pregnancy, but should be used only if clearly needed.
Consult a doctor to know if this medicine is safe for you.
Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
This medicine is relatively safe to use while breast feeding , but should not be applied any where near breast. Make sure the baby doesn’t come in to contact with the gel and use this medicine only when clearly needed.
Consult a doctor to know if this medicine is safe for you.
Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
Kojivit gel can be used on children of age of more than one year under strict medical supervision.It should not be used under napkin or covered parts of body. For best results make sure to follow the instructions on how to use the product provided on the product. Taking advice from your doctor regarding its use on children will keep you on safer side.
This medicine should not be used on infants. Please consult with a doctor to discuss any possible alternatives.
Is Kojivit Gel available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
Yes, Kojivit gel is available as an over the counter product, but it is suggested that you consult a dermatologist to know if you can use this medicine on your skin.
Frequently asked questions
Can I apply Kojivit gel as many times I want in a day?
No, that will be harmful for the skin. Generally it is advised to be used twice or thrice in a day. Please follow your doctor’s instructions on this.