What is Livogen ?
Livogen is the brand name for a laminated tablet, manufactured and marketed by Merck Limited. This medication is a mix of essential body minerals, used to treat iron deficiency and anemia. It is available in market in the packaging of 10 tablets per strip.
- What is the generic name(s)?
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
- Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
- Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
- Is Livogen available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What is the generic name (s)?
- Folic Acid (vitamin b9) : 1.5 mg
- Ferrous Fumarate : 152 mg
How does it work ?
Ferrous Fumarate is a compound of Iron and is an essential nutrient in the body. It is used in prevention and treatment of diseases caused by iron deficiency.
Ferrous Fumarate gets absorbed in the body by duodenum and jejunum with the help of Gastric acid. Then is it supplied through the gastro-intestinal mucosa and binds with hemoglobin.
Folic Acid is Vitamin B9. It is used as a supplement and in treatment of diseases cause by Folate deficiency.
Folic acid in absorbed by the small intestine and then it binds with plasma proteins.
What are it’s uses ?
- Poor diet
- Aids on the increased requirement of folate during pregnancy
- Poor digestion adn absorbtion of food
- Folate deficiency
- Used incase the body is not producing enough iron naturally
- Anemia due to folic acid deficiency
How effective is this medicine ?
This medicine is very effective for all the conditions mentioned above. It has to be taken in the correct dosage, frequency and for the right period/ duration of time. Please consult with a doctor or a qualified health expert for the correct diagnosis of the problem.
What are the Side Effects ?
Below are the common side effects that can occur from Livogen medication. Please consult a doctor if you observe any of these side effects:
- Heart burn
- Allergic rejection of the drug by body
- Loss of appetite
- Vomiting and nausea
- Hypotension and/ or hypertension
- Skin irritaion
- Cramps and abdominal pain
- Elevated liver enzymes
- Headache with fever
- Chest pains
- Sleeping disturbances
- Dark or greenish stool
What is the Dosage ?
The general dosage of Livogen is 1 tablet per day orally with water. For the right dosage and frequency of this medicine suitable for you, please consult your doctor.
What are the precautions I need to take ?
One should take following precaution before start taking this medicine:
- Do not take this drug if you have an active peptic ulcer or intestinal ulcer.
- Drug is avoid in patients with repeated blood transfusion.
- Avoid prolonged use of this medicine.
- Drug is contradicted in patients with problem of hemoglobin in blood.
- Should not use this medicine if you have folic acid dependent tumors.
- Do not take this medicine in a larger dose than prescribed by a doctor.
- Medicine should be kept away from the reach of children and pets.
- Do not take this medicinal product after the expiry date stated on the carton package
- Tell your doctor if you are taking any medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are suffering from any disease
Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
This drug is classified by FDA as pregnancy category ‘B’ No risk in other studies: Animal reproduction studies have failed to demonstrate a risk to the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women OR Animal studies have shown an adverse effect, but adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women have failed to demonstrate a risk to the fetus in any trimester.
Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
Taking this medicine is possibly safe to use if you are breast feeding or planning to start breast feeding. Consult your Doctor or a healthcare expert before administering this medicine to lactating mothers.
Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
Yes, this medicine can be given to children and infants.
The dosage and frequency of the medicine may vary depending on the age, body weight and medical history of the child. Please consult a doctor before administering Livogen for a child.
Is Livogen available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
Yes, Livogen is available as an over the counter product. But it is suggested that you consult your doctor before using this medicine.
Frequently asked questions
Can I take Calcium and Iron supplement tablets together ?
No, Iron and Calcium tablets should not be taken together. You can take Calcium supplements with your meals. Iron supplements are taken on empty stomach only, otherwise they will not be absorbed by human body.
It is advised to take Iron supplement in morning before having breakfast and to take Calcium supplements after lunch or dinner.
Can I take Livogen in a long-term use for Iron deficiency ?
No, You should not take this or any medicine for a term longer than the one prescribed by a doctor. Prolonged use of medicine can cause serious side-effects and dependency problems. Livogen is safe to use if you are suffering from any disease caused by deficiency of Iron in the body, but a dose longer than 6 months is not advised. Please consult your doctor if you are not satisfied with the supplements dosage.