What is Lomofen ?
Lomofen is combination of antibacterial and anticholinergic drugs manufactured by RPG Life Sciences Ltd. It is used for diarrhea caused due to bacterial infections . This tablet is available in the packaging of 10,15 and 20 tablets per strip.
- What is the generic name(s)?
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- Is this medicine addictive?
- What if I miss the dose of this medicine ?
- Can I drive after taking this medicine ?
- Can this medicine be taken on an empty stomach?
- Can I take this medicine with alcohol ?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
- Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
- Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
- Is Lomofen available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What is the generic name (s)?
Lomofen contain combination of three active ingredients in the following strengths per tablet:
- furazolidone 50 mg ,
- diphenoxylate hydrochloride 2.5 mg
- atropine sulphate 0.025 mg
How does it work ?
Furazolidone.is the main active substituent which belongs to therapeutic class of Antibiotic, antiprotozoal. This helps stops the growth of bacteria by interfere with several bacterial enzyme systems through DNA strand damage
Diphenoxylate works as antidiarrheal agents by slowing or reduces the speed of peristalsis which is wave like movement of intestine as such water retention occurs and solid stools are formed.
Atropine which is belladonna alkaloid of therapeutic class of Anticholinergic, antimuscarinic inhibits ACH action at neuroeffector junctions of smooth muscles . As such reduces spams in intenstine muscles and decreasing the bowel movement.
What are it’s uses ?
Lomofen is used for treatment diarrhea which is cause due to bacterial infections.
This drug should not be used for
- Acute infective diarrhea
- irritable bowel disease
- ulcerative colitis
How effective is this medicine ?
This medicine is a very powerful and effective medicine against health indications discussed above.
What are the Side Effects ?
Lomofen can cause following side-effects:
- abdominal discomfort rarely has caused respiratory depression,
- toxic mega colon
- paralytic ileus in children
- Abnormal heart rhythm
- Dilation of the pupils with vision problems
- Intolerance to light
- Infrequent urination
Is Lomofen addictive?
Habit forming tendencies for this medicine has not been reported. Most medicines don’t come with a potential for addiction. Government also categorizes medicines that can be addictive as controlled substances. Finally, do not self-medicate and increase your body’s dependence to medicines without taking the advice of a doctor.
What if I miss the dose of Lomofen?
Can I drive after taking Lomofen?
It is not safe to drive after taking this medicine if you experience dizziness or headache as side effects. One should not drive a vehicle if using the medicine makes drowsy, dizzy or reduces your blood-pressure. Please check for these conditions on your body while using this medicine.
Can Lomofen be taken on an empty stomach ?
This medicine has to be taken after food. Please follow your doctor’s advice on how you to use this medicine.
Can I take Lomofen with alcohol ?
This medicine should not be taken while having alcohol. It may intensify drowsiness or cause your medicine not to work completely.It is better to consult your doctor before consumption of this medicine. Pharmacists also suggest not to take alcohol while using this medicine.
What is the Dosage of Lomofen?
Take as directed by your doctor.
The usual dose of this drug is two tablets per day for every 6 hours until diarrhea under control.
For Children above 6 years: Dosage given should be 0.25mg diphenoxylate HCl per kg. Body-wt. daily in divided doses.
What are the precautions I need to take ?
You should take following precautions while administering this medicine:
- Patients suffering from Hepatic/liver disease, Lung disease, ulcerative disease should taken on
- medical advice and observance .
- This may cause drowsiness/dizziness as such try to avoid driving and operating any heavy machinery
- The expiry date printed on the pack has passed.
- The packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering.
- Tell your doctor if you are taking any medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are suffering from any disease
- Keep this medicine out of the reach of children
Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
NO, this drug should not be taken if pregnant ,as this falls in pregnancy category C Animal studies have shown adverse effects on the fetus and there are no appropriate studies in pregnant women, but potential benefits may allow the use of the drug in pregnant women despite the potential for risks. This should be taken under doctor prescription .Consult a doctor before administering this medicine to a pregnant woman.
Consult a doctor before administering this medicine to a pregnant woman.
Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
There is not any well established study or proof that if Lomofen passes through the breast milk and affects the quality of milk; or if it could be harmful for the nursing infant.
If your breast feeding or planning to start breast feeding, consult a doctor before using this medicine.
Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
No, this drug should not given to children below the age of 6 years but if prescribed by a qualified doctor, this medicine can be used for children and infants. Consult with a doctor regarding the frequency and the dosage of the drug.
Is lomofen available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
No, lomofen is not available as an over the counter or an OTC product. It is a prescription drug. It must be prescribed by a qualified doctor.
Frequently asked questions
what frequency do I need to use Lomofen Tablet?
The usual dose of this tablet is two per day with gap of 6 hours until diarrhea is under control or prescribed by doctor.
Does atropine has effect if pregnant?
Yes,very small amount is able to pass throught placenta(connecting organ to fetus uterus wall). Always follow your doctor’s advice regarding its use
What is diphenoxylate hydrochloride and atropine sulfate?
Diphenoxylate and atropine combination medication is a combination medicine used for treatment of diarrhea.
What is use furazolidone in drug?
This helps stops the growth of bacteria by interfere with several bacterial enzyme systems through DNA strand damage
Is this taken on empty stomach or before/after taking food?
This drug commonly suggested to take after taking food or follow the doctor advice or prescription.
What to do if took in case I took an overdose of this medicine ?
Do not take overdose of this drug taking more than prescribed dose may lead to adverse effects than quick healing.
Immediately rush to your doctor or nearest health care center for advice.
Symptoms of overdose include mild to severe vomiting, nausea, cramps .
You should take following precautions for storing this tablets:
- Keep the tablets in the original pack until it is time to take them.
- Keep the pack in a cool dry place.
- Do not store medicine in the bathroom or near a sink.
- Avoid direct contact with sunlight.
- Keep it away from the reach of children and pets.
- If the expiry date on the pack is passed, ask a pharmacist about ways of discarding it.