What is Maxtra drops ?
Maxtra drops is a medicated solution which is prescribed for treating respiratory problems like nasal congestion, running nose or Rhinorrhea, cough and cold in children (aged more than two years). It is manufactured and marketed by Zuventus Healthcare Ltd and is available in the packaging of 10 ml per bottle.
- What is the generic name(s)?
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- Is this medicine addictive?
- What if I miss the dose of this medicine ?
- Can I travel after taking this medicine ?
- Can this medicine be taken on an empty stomach?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
- Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
- Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
- Is Maxtra drops available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What is the generic name (s)?
These drops have the following generics, also given is their composition with respect to their individual strength per 1 ml of the drop:
- Phenylephrine Hydrochloride I.P. – 5mg
- Chlorpheniramine Maleate I.P. – 2mg
How does it work ?
Chlorpheniramine Maleate: Belongs to a class of medicines called anti-histamines. Whenever there is an attack of substances which cause allergy, a chemical substance called histamine gets secreted which needs to be blocked. This generic hinders the histamine, thereby relieving the symptoms of allergy.
Phenylephrine Hydrochloride: It causes constriction of the blood cells causing a reduction in the swelling of the tissues of the nose by stimulating the receptors present on them. Because of this the nasal congestion gets relieved as there is a decrease in the blood flow in the nose blood vessels.
What are it’s uses ?
This drug is prescribed to manage cold, nasal congestion, cough, Rhinorrhea (runny nose), fever of children (aged more than two years). It relieves the pain caused due to cold, fever and flu.
How effective is this medicine ?
These drops are a very effective medicine for all the conditions mentioned above, if it is taken in the correct dosage frequency for the prescribed period of time by the doctor.
What are the Side Effects ?
Following are the commonly reported side effects of Maxtra drops:
- Blurring of vision
- Buzzing in ears
- Excitability in children
- Anticholinergic effects
- Dry mouth
- Dry nose
- Respiratory depression or difficulty
- Feeling need to vomit
- Facial swelling, like on mouth, lips, cheeks etc
- Feeling of restlessness
- Change in rate of heart beats
- Difficulty while urinating
- Usually mild drowsiness
- GI upset
- Rarely thickening of bronchial secretions
Is Maxtra drops addictive?
Habit forming tendencies for this medicine has not been reported. Most medicines don’t come with a potential for addiction. Government also categorizes medicines that can be addictive as controlled substances. Finally, do not self-medicate and increase your body’s dependence to medicines without taking the advice of a doctor.
What if I miss the dose of Maxtra drops ?
Can I travel after taking Maxtra drops ?
Irrespective of side effects, it is better to avoid travelling when your not well. This medicine may cause dizziness or headache as side effects. One should not travel if using the medicine that makes drowsy. Please check for these conditions on your body while using this medicine. Consult your paediatrician to discuss about your travel plans.
Can Maxtra drops be taken on an empty stomach ?
This medicine has to be taken after food. Please follow your doctor’s advice on how you to use this medicine.
What is the Dosage ?
The dosage of Maxtra drops varies with the age of the child, as explained below:
- If patient’s age is more than six years: 2 ml to 3 ml after every twelve hours till the period prescribed by the doctor.
- If child’s age is between two and six years: 1 ml to 1.5 ml, after every twelve hours till the period prescribed by the doctor
- If child’s age is less than two years: Please consult a pediatrician
These drops can cause sleepiness or mild drowsiness.
The maximum period this should be taken is seven days straight in a row. Please contact your doctor in case if there is no signs of improvement even after giving this drop to the child for seven days.
What are the precautions I need to take ?
Following precautions should be taken for this medication:
- Take this medicine only if prescribed by a qualified doctor
- Take full course of medication
- Do not take if you are allergic to Chlorpheniramine, Phenylephrine or any of the other ingredient of this medicine
- Use with caution in patients with diabetes
- Use with caution in patients with seizure disorders
- Use with caution in patients with increased intraocular pressure
- Use with caution in patients with aspirin allergy
- Use with caution in patients with thyroid disease
- Use with caution in patients with cardiovascular disease
- Use with caution in patients with history of bronchospasm
- Do not take if you are taking any other products that contain Chlorpheniramine
- Remember not to exceed intake more than two grams in one day
- Do not take Phenylephrine if you drink three or more alcoholic medicines every day, as this drops can have a drowsy effect
Please share with your doctor if the child is suffering from any other medical problem along with any medications going on currently. This is to avoid any bad or harmful effects which might arise due to drug-to-drug reaction.
Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
No, it is not safe to use this medicine if you are pregnant or planning to get pregnant.
Maxtra drops is classified by FDA as pregnancy category ‘C’ Risk not ruled out: Animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks.
This medicine should not be used without consulting with your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning to be pregnant. Please share the actual status of your pregnancy with your doctor for the correct prescription of this medicine.
Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
No, it is not safe to take Maxtra drops if you are breast feeding or planning to start breast feeding. Consult with your doctor thoroughly for more information on this medicine.
Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
Yes, under strict medical supervision this medicine can be given to children and infants
Though administration of Chlorpheniramine is contraindicated in children less than 2 years of age, but still a pediatrician can prescribe Maxtra drops for infants. Consult your doctor thoroughly if prescribed with these drop.
Is Maxtra drops available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
No, Maxtra drops are not available as an over the counter (OTC) product. It is a prescription medicine and has to be prescribed by a qualified specialist
Frequently asked questions
How to store Maxtra drops ?
This medicine should be stored in a dry place protected from heat and direct light. For more information on how to store please refer to the instructions mentioned on the packaging of this drug.