What is Mucolite syrup ?
Mucolite syrup is an medicated syrup which is useful in treating respiratory problems like nasal congestion, thickened mucous, and asthma. It is manufactured by Dr Reddy’s Laboratories Limited. Syrup is available in the packaging of 100 ml per bottle.
- What is the generic name(s)?
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
- Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
- Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
- Is Mucolite syrup available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What is the generic name (s)?
Generic name of Mucolite syrup is Ambroxol and it is available in the 30 mg per 5 ml of the syrup.
How does it work ?
Ambroxol is from a class of drugs defined as expectorants. This drug works by relaxing the walls of small airways in lungs. They also support the production of a chemical called surfactant. Surfactant dissolves the mucous and make it thinner. Thin mucous can not get stuck to the walls of airways and can be coughed out easily.
What are it’s uses ?
Mucolite syrup is used in the prevention, control and treatment of following conditions and diseases:
- Lung disorder
- Thickened mucus cough
- Respiratory tract diseases
- Respiratory disease
How effective is this medicine ?
This Syrup is a very effective medicine for all the conditions mentioned above, if it is taken in the correct dosage frequency for the prescribed period of time by the doctor.
What are the Side Effects ?
Mucolite syrup requires prescription from a qualified doctor. If taken in incorrect dosage, this syrup can cause following side-effects:
- Tightness in the chest
- Difficulty with swallowing
- Feeling shaky
- Difficulty breathing
- Increased blood flow to your extremities
- Irregular heartbeat
- Mild gastrointestinal effects
- Muscle cramps
- Noisy breathing
- Dry mouth
- Racing heartbeat or pulse
- Redness of the skin
- Shortness of breath
- Hyperactivity in children
- Skin rash
- Slow or irregular breathing
- Swelling of the mouth or throat
If you experience any of these side effects, Inform your doctor immediately . This list is not a comprehensive list of all the possible side effects of this drug.
Consult your doctor immediately if you develop any other medical conditions while using this medicine.
What is the Dosage ?
The dosage of Mucolite Syrup varies with the age of the patient, as explained below:
- If patient’s age is less than two years: Not to be given.
- If patient’s age is between two and five years: 2.5 ml, three times a day
- If patient’s age is between five and ten years: 5 ml, two times daily.
- Adults and children over 10 years of age: 5 ml, three times a day.
What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Take this medicine only if prescribed by the doctor
- Take full course of treatment
- Do not take this medicine, If you are allergic allergic to any of the ingredients of this medicine or any of their excipients
- Do not take this medicine, If you have certain medical conditions including liver hypertensive ischemic heart disease, over reactive thyroid gland, severe live and kidney problems.
- Do not take this medicine after the expiry date stated on the carton package
- Tell your doctor if you are taking any medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are suffering from any disease
- Keep this medicine out of the reach of children
Seek emergency medical help or consult a doctor immediately, If the side effects persist or if you observe any of the serious side effects
Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
This drug is classified by FDA as pregnancy category ‘C’ Risk not ruled out: Animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks.
Consult a doctor before administering this medicine to a pregnant woman.
Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
Taking this medicine is possibly safe to use if you are breast feeding or planning to start breast feeding. Consult your Doctor or a healthcare expert before administering this medicine to lactating mothers.
Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
Yes, this medicine can be given to children above 2 years of age.
Mucolite syrup is not suitable for infants. However infants can be prescribed with generic of this medicine in different formulation, such as mucolite drops.
Please consult with doctor before administering this medicine to children and infants.
Is Mucolite syrup available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
No, this medicine is not available as an over the counter (OTC) product. It is a prescription medicine, which is to be prescribed by a qualified doctor only. Please consult with the doctor regarding correct dosage, timing and duration of use of this medicine. Please do not self-medicate yourself with this medicine.
Frequently asked questions
How long should I take this medicine?
It depends on the medical condition you are using it for. Since it is a prescription only drug, for duration of taking this medicine it is better to get it prescribed from a doctor.
What to do if I overdose on Mucolite syrup ?
Contact your doctor immediately.
Commonly noted symptoms of over dose are mild to severe muscle weakness, slow or irregular heartbeat, mood changes such as confusion, shallow breathing, dizziness, stomach pain, dry mouth, and vomiting.
Can I take tablet instead of syrup ?
The concentration of components may vary in syrup and tablets. For the proper and correct diagnosis, treatment and dosage of medicine, consult a healthcare expert first. In some cases you can take tablet instead of syrup if you are not able to find the prescribed medicine in the market.