What is Normaxin?
Normaxin is a brand name of a gastrointestinal oral tablet. It belongs to the anti-spasmodic family of medicines. It is manufactured by Systopic Laboratories (P) Ltd. It is available in the packaging of 10 tablets per strip.
- What is the generic name(s)?
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
- Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
- Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
- Is Normaxin available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What is the generic name (s)?
Normaxin has the following generic components, also mentioned are their respective strengths per tablet:
- Chlordiazepoxide : 5 mg
- Clidinium bromide : 2.5 mg
- Dicyclomine (dicycloverine) : 10 mg
How does it work ?
Normaxin is a smooth muscle relaxant and thus, helps in relieving abdominal cramps and spasms in stomach. It reduces pain by decreasing the contractions in muscles of the stomach. This happens as the natural movements of the gut gets slowed down. It also calms the brain nerves thereby relieving the pain.
What are it’s uses ?
Normaxin is useful in the management of the following indications:
- Painful menstruation
- Gastrointestinal motility disturbances
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Behavioral disorders
- Periodic spasms
- Pain in stomach
- Peptic ulcer
- preanaesthetic medication
- Motion sickness
- Alcohol withdrawal symptoms
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Muscle spasms
- Severe anxiety
- Inability to control urine
- Intestinal cramps
How effective is this medicine ?
Normaxin is a very effective medicine for all the indications mentioned above. One must administer it in the dosage as prescribed by the doctor for the correct duration as per the patient’s indication.
What are the Side Effects ?
Some of the commonly reported side-effects arising from the use of Normaxin are being listed below:
- Abdominal bloating
- Blurred vision
- Taste change
- Dry eyes
- Dry mouth
- Eating disorder
- Change in sex drive
- Increased eye pressure
- Light sensitivity
- Loss of appetite
- Movement disorder
- Rapid heart rate
- Respiratory arrest
- Upset stomach
- Urinary retention
What is the Dosage ?
Consult with a doctor for the correct dosage of Normaxin for the patient. It varies with patient’s age , indication and other prevailing medical factors.
Generally, one or two tablets are prescribed to be taken before meals, three to four times in a day.
What are the precautions I need to take ?
Following precautions should be exercised while administering Normaxin:
- Should be taken with caution if suffering with hepatic or renal problems
- avoid consumption of alcohol
- avoid doing tasks which need focused attention like driving or operating machinery, as this tablet can cause drowsiness
- avoid becoming overheated , especially in summers , as it reduces sweating and there are increased chances of heat stroke
- if the patient is suffering from hyperthyroidism
- if the patient is suffering from high blood pressure
- this medicine is contraindicated in patients with prostatic hypertrophy
- if the patient has or had heart, liver or kidney related problems
- if the patient is elderly or child
- if the patient has coagulation disorders
A person allergic to any of the components of this medicine should be given an alternate medicine after discussing with doctor.
One must discuss current and previous medical problems along with medications with doctor to avoid any drug interactions.
Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
It is classified as Pregnancy category D by FDA, Positive evidence of risk: There is positive evidence of human fetal risk based on adverse reaction data from investigational or marketing experience or studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks.
Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
It may be taken during breast feeding but only after consulting with doctor. The benefits of the medicine must outweigh the possible risks. Do not self-medicate for the safety of baby.
Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
This medicine may be given to children and infants after proper consultation of Doctor. However, it is contraindicated for infants less than the age of six months.
Is Normaxin available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
No, it is not available as an over the counter or an OTC product. It is a prescription drug. Buy only when prescribed by a qualified doctor.
Frequently asked questions
Can this medicine cause excitement or anger?
Yes, this medicine can cause cause excitement and anger. Especially, some cases of acute excitement and anger have been reported in psychiatric patients.
Is it a habit forming or addictive medicine?
Yes, it is a habit forming or addictive medicine, when used for longer term. One must not exceed the duration of use than that prescribed by the doctor.
How to store this medicine?
This medicine should be stored at room temperature, preferably in an air-tight container, in a cool and dry place away from sunlight . It should be kept away from the reach of pets and children. One must discard the remaining tablets immediately after the expiry date.
Can this medicine be used to treat diarrhea?
No, this medicine is not known to be used in the management of diarrhea.
Why I need to take this medicine before having my meal?
This medicine is advised to be taken before having food in order to ensure relief from the after-food pain.
Does this medicine has any effect on the body weight?
No, this medicine is not known to have any effects on the body weight.