What is Ovral G?
Ovral G is the brand name for a regular Oral contraceptive pill used to prevent unplanned pregnancy. This medicine is manufactured and marketed by Pfizer limited (Wyeth Pharma) . It is available in the packaging of 20 tablets per strip.
- What is the generic name(s)?
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
- Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
- Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
- Is Ovral G available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What is the generic name (s)?
Ovral G is combination drug. It contains estrogen (Ethinyl Estradiol) and norgestrel (Levonorgestrel) which prevents the release of eggs from the ovaries and change the lining of the womb to prevent pregnancy.
The composition of these hormones per tablet is as followed:
- Ethinyl Estradiol : 0.05 mg
- Levonorgestrel : 0.50 mg
How does it work ?
Ovral G is a combined Hormonal contraceptive pill. Ethinyl Estradiol is a synthetic form of female hormones responsible for the maintenance and development of menstruation cycles. While Levonorgestrel is a hormone which stops the ovulation and prevent egg from fertilization. The combination of these 2 hormones make Ovral G a very safe method of contraception.
What are it’s uses ?
This medicine is a regular oral contraceptive pill. It is useful in preventing unplanned pregnancy. Apart from this, the medicine can be administered in the treatment of following diseases and conditions:
- Recurring Miscarriage
- Painful menstruation
- Prostate cancer
- Fragile bones
- Loss of bone mass
- Swelling and inflammation of vagina
- Delayed puberty in girls
- Uterine bleeding
- Breast cancer
How effective is this medicine ?
This drug is very effective in preventing pregnancy, if taken in quantity and frequency as prescribed by the doctor.
What are the Side Effects ?
Commonly reported side-effects from new users of Ovral G medication includes following symptoms :
- Lower Stomach pain
- Delayed menstruation
- Sudden bleeding/ spotting
- Breast tenderness
- Acne and pimples
- Water retention
- Weight gain
- Mood swings
All these symptoms are temporary and disappear overtime with regular use of these tablets.
However, in some cases this drug can cause serious implications. Consult your doctor immediately if you are facing any of the following issues after the use of this medicine:
- Uterine hemorrhage
- Infections in uterus
- Unusual tiredness
- Vomiting with weakness and nausea
- Excessive vaginal bleeding
- Gasrto-intestinal cramps
- Severe headache and Anxiety
What is the Dosage ?
The dosage for these tablets begin with 1 tablet from the first day of Menstrual cycle. Then one tablet each day for 19 days, followed by 7 days without taking the tablet.
If you want to continue the course of this contraceptive again, start with the new strip from 8th day since you took the last placebo tablet.
What are the precautions I need to take ?
You should not take this medicine in following situations
- If you have ever had a clot in a blood vessel, or any circulation problems in the past.
- If you are breast-feeding or think you may be pregnant.
- If you are a smoker, consult your doctor before taking this medicine.
- If you have a breast lump or had breast cancer in the past.
- Don’t take this medicine if you are suffering from high blood pressure.
- This medicine should be avoided for patients with depression.
- If you have gallstones or liver dysfunction .
- If you are suffering from cardiac problems, diabetes, or migraine.
- If you had a transient ischemic attack in the past.
- If you have any vaginal bleeding other than your normal menstrual period.
Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
This drug is classified by FDA as pregnancy category ‘X’ Contraindicated in pregnancy: Studies in animals or humans have demonstrated fetal abnormalities and/or there is positive evidence of human fetal risk based on adverse reaction data from investigational or marketing experience, and the risks involved in use of the drug in pregnant women clearly outweigh potential benefits.
Consult a doctor before administering this medicine to a pregnant woman.
Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
Ovral G may affect the quality and quantity of the breast milk, So, it is not advised to administer this drug to lactating mothers, unless advised by the doctor otherwise.
Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
This drug should be kept out of sight and reach of children and infants.
This medicine should not be given to children and infants. This medicine is only for adult women to use as an regular contraceptive. Keep this tablet away from the reach of children. If a child accidentally takes this tablet, rush him immediately to your doctor.
Is Ovral G available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
No, This drug is not available as an over the counter product and requires a prescription from a doctor.
Frequently asked questions
Can Ovral G, cause breast cancer ?
No, there are no reported cases of breast cancer caused due to this drug, but do not take this drug, if you have any history of breast cancer.
Can I take Oxcarbazepine, while on Ovral G ?
No, both norgestrel and ethinyl estradiol have major interactions with Oxcarbazepine and Oxcarbazepine may reduce the blood levels and effects of both norgestimate and ethinyl estradiol, ask your doctor for a prescription of different medicine.
Is Levonorgestrel an androgenic hormone ?
Yes, Levonorgestrel has some androgenic and progestational hormonal effects. It can cause some unwanted side-effects such as acne, skin dryness and unwanted air growth in females.