What is Polybion syrup?
Polybion syrup is a liquid dosage form its combination of vitamin B complex supplement used treatment of vitamin B-complex deficiency It is manufactured and marketed by Merck Limited India .It is available in package of 250 ml.
- What is the generic name(s)?
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- Is this medicine addictive?
- What if I miss the dose of this medicine ?
- Can I drive after taking this medicine ?
- Can this medicine be taken on an empty stomach?
- Can I take this medicine with alcohol ?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
- Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
- Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
- Is Polybion syrup available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What is the generic name (s)?
- Thiamine HCL 2 mg;
- Riboflavin Sodium Phosphate( vitamin B2) 2.5 mg;
- Pyridoxine HCl 0.75 mg;
- Nicotinamide (Vitamin B3)15 mg;
- D-Panthenol (Vitamin B5) 3 mg;
- Cyanocobalamin 2 mcg in
- Propylene glycol,Glycerine and Sorbitol Solution base
How does it work ?
Vitamin B12 which is also known as cyanocobalamin.The B12 helps in production of succinyl CoA which in turn needed to extract energy from the proteins and fats and this is also useful for production haemoglobin in red blood cells which carry oxygen.
Cyanocobalamin is man made vit b12 helps in metabolism treatment of lower number of RBC i.e., treatment of anemia ,nerve damage also used in poor nutrient conditions,pregnancy and old age.
Niacinamide is a form of vitamin B3 vitamin co-enzyme which helps in reduction-oxidation (Redox) reactions in the tissues of respiration system and helps in metabolism which needed for good health.
Pyridoxine which vitamin b6 helps in maintaining healthy nervous system,RBC and body skin.It can be naturally found in the diet so if found deficient treated with pyridoxine.
Mecobalamin is an active type of vitamin B12. It helps the nerve cells to function properly and even helps the damaged nerve cells to recover. It helps in the conversion of proteins and fats into energy. It is involved in the production of hemoglobin.
Benfotiamine is like thiamine which is B1 vitamin helps in pain reduction and treatment of diabetic complications, neuropathies ,nephropathies through oral administration
Riboflavin which is also known as vitamin b2 helpful treatment preventing low levels of riboflavin used in migraine headaches,acne, muscle cramps,eye problems etc
What are it’s uses ?
Polybion syrup is useful in the management of the below listed indications:
- B complex deficiency
- Anemia due to folic acid deficiency
- Poor absorption of food
- Increased requirement of folate in the body during pregnancy
- Poor Diet
- Low number of red blood cells
- Stomach and intestine problems
- Permanent nerve damage
- Iron deficiency anemia
How effective is this medicine ?
Polybion Syrup is a very effective medicine for all the conditions mentioned above, if it is taken in the correct dosage frequency for the prescribed period of time by the doctor
What are the Side Effects ?
Following are the commonly reported side effects of this Syrup:
- skin rash
Consult your doctor if you feel any of the side-effects listed above.
Is Polybion syrup addictive ?
Habit forming tendencies for this medicine has not been reported. Most medicines don’t come with a potential for addiction. Government also categorizes medicines that can be addictive as controlled substances. Finally, do not self-medicate and increase your body’s dependence to medicines without taking the advice of a doctor. Consult your doctor for prolonged use.
What if I miss the dose of Polybion syrup ?
Can I drive after taking Polybion syrup?
Can Polybion syrup be taken on an empty stomach ?
You should not take this medicine on an empty stomach. It can be taken with food or immediately after taking the food.Yes, Please follow your doctor’s advice on how you to use this medicine.
Can I take polybion syrup with alcohol ?
What is the Dosage ?
Usual Adult One teaspoonful 2-3 times daily or as directed by the Physician.
Adults 10 ml or children 5ml or as prescribed by doctor.
Despite this syrup being an over the counter product, please consult a qualified doctor and follow his or her recommendations for the dosage of dexorange. Dosage will depend on the condition for which it has to be administered. Self medicate can be dangerous
What are the precautions I need to take ?
Not to be used for newborn babies or premature infants.
While taking these syrups, following precautions should be taken :
- Ask a doctor about the required dosage and frequency for this medicine
- Take full course of treatment
- Do not take this medicine if you are allergic to any of the ingredients of this medicine or any of their excipients
- Consult your doctor before using this syrup, as it may increase sugar levels in blood
- Do not take this medicinal product after the expiry date stated on the carton package
- Tell your doctor if you are taking any medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are suffering from any disease
- Discuss your pregnancy and breastfeeding plan with a doctor before using the syrup
- Do not consume alcohol during medication
- Store in a cool dry place away from direct sunlight
Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
Yes, it is safe to Polybion syrup if you are pregnant or planning to get pregnant.
This medicine has been approved by US FDA with ‘A’ certificate in pregnancy category of medicines. The ‘A’ certificate means No risk in controlled human studies: Adequate and well-controlled human studies have failed to demonstrate a risk to the fetus in the first trimester of pregnancy (and there is no evidence of risk in later trimesters).
In higher doses it is not considered safe.
Category C : Animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks.
Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
Yes, it is safe to take this syrup if you are breastfeeding or planning to start breast feeding. Tests have proven that the iron supplements and multivitamin present in the syrup are excreted in breast milk.
Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
Yes, if prescribed by a qualified pediatrician, this medicine can be used for children.NOT to be used for premature babies and infants.
Please consult with the doctor regarding the quantity , frequency and duration of dosage of the syrup for children and infants.
Is Polybion syrup available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
Yes, Dexorange syrup is available as an over the counter (OTC) product. But it is suggested that you consult a doctor to know if you can use this medicine.
Frequently asked questions
What if i happen to miss a dose ?
You can take it if the time is not close for the next dose. Don’t take double dose in any case. Its always better to consult your doctor or a healthcare expert in such cases in order to avoid any bad or harmful effects.