What is Pontalon ?
Pontalon is a branded form of gelatin coated oral capsules which is often prescribed for managing indications of inflammation and pain during menstruation. This medicine is manufactured by Y.S.P. Industries Ltd and is available in a packaging of ten capsules per strip.
- What is the generic name(s)?
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- Is this medicine addictive?
- What if I miss the dose of this medicine ?
- Can I drive after taking this medicine ?
- Can this medicine be taken on an empty stomach ?
- Can I take this medicine with alcohol ?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
- Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
- Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
- Is Pontalon available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What is the generic name (s)?
The active ingredient and generic salt present in Pontalon capsule is Mefenamic Acid. It is present in the strength of 250 mg in each capsule.
How does it work ?
Mefenamic acid belongs to a class of medicines called non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs (NSAID). It reduces the production of a chemical called prostaglandins. This chemical causes swelling and pain in body. The drug blocks the production and action of prostaglandins and relives the body pain and swelling.
What are it’s uses ?
This medicine is majorly used in the prevention, control and treatment of the following diseases and conditions:
- Ear pain
- Tooth pain and pain in jaws
- Pyrexia in children
- Post operative pains
- Joint pain
- Heavy menstrual pain and abdominal cramps (Dysmenorrhea)
- Short term pain in any part of body
- Acute pain
- Leg pain due to inflammation in wall of a vein during pregnancy (Thrombophlebitis)
- as an anti-inflammatory analgesic for the symptomatic relief of juvenile rheumatoid arthritis (including Still’s Disease)
How effective is this medicine ?
Pontalon capsule is a very effective medicine for all the conditions mentioned above, if it is taken in the correct dosage frequency for the prescribed period of time by the doctor.
What are the Side Effects ?
The following list is a comprehensive list of all the possible side effects of this drug. Some of the side effects may occur very rarely. If you experience any of these side effects, inform your doctor immediately.
- Allergic reactions, papilations
- Diarrhea, Vomiting and nausea
- Blood in vomit and stool
- Breathlessness, shortened breath, and Anxiety
- Muscular weakness, Dizziness
- Platelet deficiency in blood
- Rashes, Blister on skin
- Irritation and itching
- Abdominal pain, Constipation, gas and other GI disorders
- Abnormal dark colored stool
- Gastrointestinal hemorrhage, bleeding and Perforations
- High blood pressure and hypersensitivity
- Liver toxicity, Liver damage and increased level of liver enzymes
- Swelling of ears and eyes, rashes and itching on face
Consult your doctor if you develop any other medical conditions while using this medicine.
Is Pontalon addictive?
Habit forming tendencies for this medicine has not been reported. Most medicines don’t come with a potential for addiction. Government also categorizes medicines that can be addictive as controlled substances. Finally, do not self-medicate and increase your body’s dependence to medicines without taking the advice of a doctor.
What if I miss the dose of Pontalon?
Can I drive after taking Pontalon?
It is not safe to drive after taking this medicine if you experience dizziness or headache as side effects. One should not drive a vehicle if using the medicine makes drowsy, dizzy or reduces your blood-pressure. Please check for these conditions on your body while using this medicine.
Can Pontalon be taken on an empty stomach ?
Yes, you can take it on empty stomach.But, it might cause some nausea. Please follow your doctor’s advice on how you to use this medicine.
Can I take Pontalon with alcohol ?
Intake of this medicine with alcohol is not recommended. Alcohol intake with this medicine may intensify drowsiness.It is better to consult your doctor before consumption of this medicine. Pharmacists also suggest not to take alcohol while using this medicine.
What is the Dosage ?
Generally it is prescribed for taking two capsules per day.Please consult with your doctor regarding the dosage and the duration of the course of this medicine, as it varies from one case to another.
What are the precautions I need to take ?
Following precautions should be taken while being on this medicine’s course:
- Ensure that its not taken close to the start of menstrual cycle.
- Inform the doctor if there is no change after three menstrual cycles.
- If you are allergic to any of the component of this medicine.
- Avoid if you are having low blood pressure.
- Don’t use if vision disturbance is observed
- Discontinue the use of this medicine if you experience any bad effects lke skin rashes, unusual facial swellings ( like on mouth, face, tongue, throat, lips etc.)
- In cases of renal impairment
- Not suitable in pregnancy
- Not suitable in lactation
Also , if your age is more than 45 years, you should not be prescribed with Mefenamic acid.
Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
No, it is not safe to use this medicine if you are pregnant or planning to get pregnant.
This medicine is classified by FDA as pregnancy category ‘C’ Risk not ruled out: Animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks.
This medicine should not be used without consulting with your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning to be pregnant. Please share the actual status of your pregnancy with your doctor for the correct prescription of this medicine.
Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
No, it is not safe to take Pontalon if you are breast feeding or planning to start breast feeding. Consult with your doctor thoroughly if being prescribed for this medicine, as while breastfeeding this can get mixed with the blood and get transferred to the baby. This can result into bad or harmful effects.
Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
In case of inflammatory and pain disorders, a regulated dose his medicine can be prescribed to children over 3 years of age. Please consult a pediatrician regarding proper dosage, frequency and duration of the medication for children.
Pontalon capsule is not safe safe to be given infants and neonates. If you suspect that an Infant or neonate has accidentally consumed this medicine, consider it an emergency and rush to your nearest healthcare center.
Is Pontalon available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
No, Pontalon is not available as an over the counter (OTC) product. It is a prescription medicine. It has to be prescribed by a qualified specialist. Please consult with the doctor regarding correct dosage, timing and duration of use of this medicine. Please do not self-medicate yourself with this medicine.
Frequently asked questions
Missed a dose of Pontalon capsule, what should I do ?
In case you missed a dose of Pontalon, you can take it as soon as you remember about it. But if it is close to the time of next dose, skip the missed dose and continue the routine with next dose.
Do not take double dose/ overdose of this medicine. Taking extra dose will not improve your symptoms and condition, rather it may cause serious side effects and