What is Rantac 150
Rantac 150 is a branded drug manufactured and marketed by J.B.Chemicals & Pharmaceuticals Ltd in India, which is generally prescribed to decrease stomach acid production in the human body in the treatment of heartburn and acid indigestion.
- What are the Generic Name(s)
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- Is this medicine addictive?
- What if I miss the dose of this medicine ?
- Can I drive after taking this medicine ?
- Can this medicine be taken on an empty stomach ?
- Can I take this medicine with alcohol ?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Is it safe to take If I am pregnant ?
- Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
- Can this medicine be given to Children and Infants ?
- Is Rantac 150 available as over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What are the Generic Name(s)
The generic name of the drug , Rantac 150 is Ranitidine Hydrochloride (Ranitidine Hcl).
This medicine is available in the tablet form in the strip of
How does it work ?
Ranitidine belongs to a class of drugs called H2 receptor antagonists or H2 blockers. This drug is a competitive, reversible inhibitor of the action of histamine at the histamine H2 receptors found in gastric parietal cells, which results in decreased gastric acid secretion and gastric volume in the stomach.
What are it’s uses ?
Ranitidine is on the World Health Organization’s List of Essential Medicines, the most important medications needed in a basic health system. It is prescribed for the indications including peptic ulcer disease, Gastroesophageal reflux disease, Zollinger–Ellison syndrome and also to treat and prevent ulcers in the stomach and intestine, Recurrent postoperative ulcer , Upper GI bleeding.
How effective is this medicine ?
Ranitidine is very effective in decreasing stomach acid production when taken with the dosage and frequency as suggested by the Doctor.
What are the Side Effects ?
Some of the reported , less serious side effects of Ranitidine include:
- Stomach pain
Some of the reported adverse effects, which require immediate discontinuation of the medicine include
- Arrhythmias such as tachycardia, bradycardia, atrioventricular block, and premature ventricular beats
- Vitamin B12 deficiency
- Cholestatic hepatitis
- Liver failure
- Infectious diarrhoea
- Traveller’s diarrhoea
- Reversible mental confusion
- Pneumonia in hospitalized patients
- Thrombocytopenia (rare)
- erythema multiforme (rare)
- Hairloss (rare)
- Vasculitis (rare)
Is Rantac 150 addictive?
Habit forming tendencies for this medicine has not been reported. Most medicines don’t come with a potential for addiction. The government also categorizes medicines that can be addictive as controlled substances. Finally, do not self-medicate and increase your body’s dependence on medicines without taking the advice of a doctor.
What if I miss the dose of Rantac 150?
Can I drive after taking Rantac 150?
It is not safe to drive after taking this medicine if you experience dizziness or a headache as side effects. One should not drive a vehicle if using the medicine makes drowsy, dizzy or reduces your blood pressure. Please check for these conditions on your body while using this medicine.
Can Rantac 150 be taken on an empty stomach?
This medicine has to be taken with or without food. Please follow your doctor’s advice on how you to use this medicine.
Can I take Rantac 150 with alcohol?
Intake of this medicine with alcohol is not recommended. Alcohol intake with this medicine may intensify drowsiness. It is better to consult your doctor before consumption of this medicine. Pharmacists also suggest not to take alcohol while using this medicine.
What is the Dosage ?
Rantac 150 needs to be taken orally, directions for dosage for different indications is given below.
- For the treatment of heartburn: 1 to 2 tablets daily, taken about half an hour to one hour before the consumption of food or beverage that causes heartburn.
- For the treatment of ulcers : 1 tablet two times daily, including once at night or 2 tablets once at night or as prescribed by the doctor. Administering the tablet in the night results in the increase in gastric/duodenal pH promotes healing overnight when the stomach and duodenum are empty.
- For the treatment of GERD : 1 tablet two times daily or as prescribed by the doctor
- For the treatment of Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome : 1 tablet twice a day or as prescribed by the doctor
Children ( 1 month +) :
150mg dose is very high for administering to children, consult doctor for prescription of appropriate medicine dosage
What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Take this medicine only if prescribed by the doctor
- Do not consume alcohol while taking this medicine, It can increase the risk of stomach damage.
- Refrain from consuming alcohol for atleast 3 days after the last dosage of this medicine
- Take full course of treatment
- Do not take this medicine if you are allergic to any of the ingredients of this medicine or any of their excipients
- Do not take this medicinal product after the expiry date stated on the carton package
- Tell your doctor if you are taking any medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are suffering from any disease
- Keep this medicine out of the reach of children.
Seek emergency medical help or consult a doctor immediately if the side effects persist or if you observe any adverse side effects .
Is it safe to take If I am pregnant ?
Rantac 150 falls under Pregnancy category B, Animal reproduction studies have failed to demonstrate a risk to the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women. Consult a Doctor before administering this medicine to pregnant women.
Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
Taking this medicine is possibly safe for lactating mothers as the dose of ranitidine in breastmilk is less than the dose used in newborn infants. Consult a Doctor before administering this medicine to lactating mothers.
Can this medicine be given to Children and Infants ?
Rantac 150 has a Ranitidine strength of 150 mg, which is more than what is prescribed for children and infants, consult your doctor to prescribed a different medicine or different strength.
Is Rantac 150 available as over the counter (OTC) product?
No, This medicine is not available as an over the counter product, you will be needing prescription from a Doctor to buy this medicine.
Frequently asked questions
Is Rantac 150 a safe medicine ?
Ranitidine is relatively a safe medicine when used in dosage and frequency as prescribed by Doctor.
What to do if I overdose this medicine ?
Seek emergency medical help or consult a doctor immediately in case of overdose, some of the overdose symptoms include lack of coordination, feeling light-headed, or fainting.
I am currently on Dasatanib, can I take this medicine?
Ranitidine has major interactions with Dasatanib, ask your doctor for a different medicine.
I am suffering from Liver disease can I take Rantac 150 ?
Ranitidine is partially metabolized by the liver, tell your doctor that you have a liver disease.
Is Rantac 150 an antacid ?
No, this drug is not an antacid and does not neutralize acids in the stomach.