What is Redotil?
Redotil is the brand name for a laminated tablet, prescribed for the treatment of acute diarrhea. This tablet is manufactured and marketed by Dr Reddy’s Laboratories Limited. The tablet is available in the packaging of 10 tablets per strip.
- What is the generic name(s)?
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
- Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
- Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
- Is Redotil available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What is the generic name (s)?
The active ingredient and generic component present in this tablet is Racecadotril. It is present in the strength of 100 mg per tablet.
How does it work ?
Racecadotril is also known as acetophran. It is an antidiarrheal medicine. Racecadotril belongs to a class of medicines called as Enkephalinase inhibitors. It works by inhibiting the action of enkephalinase enzymes. This enzymes promotes the secretion of electrolytes and water in to the intestines. Unlike other opioid medicines prescribed for diarrhea, Racecadotril doesn’t reduce the motility of intestines, but controls the secretion of enzymes, body fluids and electrolytes.
What are it’s uses ?
Redotil tablets are administered in the prevention, control and treatment of Acute Diarrhea when the cause of diarrhea is unknown.
How effective is this medicine ?
Redotil tablet is very effective in the management of diarrhea. One should use it after discussing the condition and other symptoms with a qualified doctor.
What are the Side Effects ?
Some of the commonly reported side-effects of Redotil medication are listed below :
- Swelling of the eyelid
- Skin rash
- Acute toxicity
- Green stools
- Stomach upset
- Skin redness
What is the Dosage ?
The dosage of this medicine varies with the patient’s age, medical history and the problem for which it is being administered. For example, the typical dosage for adults is up to 1 tablet, thrice a day for 5 to 7 days.
Please consult with doctor to know about the correct dosage for the speedy recovery of the patient.
What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Take this medicine only if prescribed by the doctor
- Take full course of treatment
- Do not take this medicine if you are allergic to any of the ingredients of this medicine or any of their excipient
- Do not take this medicinal product after the expiry date stated on the carton package
- Tell your doctor if you are taking any medicine
Caution should be implied if the patient is :
- On any other prescribed or non-prescribed medication.
- Having any liver impairments.
- Having any intestinal disorders.
- Is breast feeding or planning to start breast feeding
- Is Pregnant or planning to get pregnant
- If you have blood or pus excreting through stool
- Do not take this medicine if you are suffering from prolonged diarrhea
- Do not take this medicine if your diarrhea is caused by any antibiotic
- Do not take this tablets if you are vomiting
Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
This medicine is classified by FDA as pregnancy category ‘B’ No risk in other studies: Animal reproduction studies have failed to demonstrate a risk to the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women OR Animal studies have shown an adverse effect, but adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women have failed to demonstrate a risk to the fetus in any trimester.
It should not be taken without consulting with your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning to be pregnant. Please share the actual status of your pregnancy with your doctor for the correct prescription of this medicine
Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
No, it is not safe to take Redotil if you are breast feeding or planning to start breast feeding. Consult with your doctor thoroughly if being prescribed for this medicine, as while breastfeeding this can get mixed with the blood and get transferred to the baby. This can result into bad or harmful effects.
Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
Yes, this medicine safe to be given to children and infants. Consult a pediatrician before administering this medicine on infants and children, regarding the dosage and frequency of medication.
Is Redotil available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
No, Redotil is not available as an over the counter (OTC) product. It is prescription medicine. It has to be prescribed by a qualified specialist only.
Frequently asked questions
Missed a dose of Redotil, what should I do ?
In case you missed a dose of Redotil, you can take it as soon as you remember about it. But if it is close to the time of next dose, skip the missed dose and continue the routine with next dose.
Do not take double dose/ overdose of this medicine. Taking extra dose will not improve your symptoms and condition, rather it may cause serious side effects and medicinal poisoning.
How long should I take this medicine ?
The Redotil medication should be maximum 7 days long. It is not advised to use this medicine regularly for long time. If the medication is not proven to be effective within one week, one should go for other alternative medications available for the treatment.
How to store this medicine?
This medicine should be stored in a dry place protected from heat and direct light. For more information on how to store please refer to the instructions mentioned on the packaging of this tablet.