What is Rifagut 400?
Rifagut 400 is the brand name for laminated tablet, which is prescribed for the treatment of loose motions and bacterial infections of intestine. This tablet can be administered orally. This medicine is manufactured and marketed by Sun Pharma Laboratories limited. It is available in the packaging of 10 tablets per strip.
- What is the generic name(s)?
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
- Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
- Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
- Is Rifagut 400 available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What is the generic name (s)?
The generic salt and the active ingredient present is Rifagut 400 is Rifaximin. It is an antibiotic. It is present in the strength of 400 mg per tablet.
How does it work ?
Rifaximin is an anti-diarrheal antibiotic drug. It works by stopping the bacterial growth in intestines. It kills the adult bacteria which may produces toxins and prevent them from making Liver disorders.
What are it’s uses ?
Rifagut 400 tablets can be administered in prevention, control and treatment of following diseases and conditions:
- Traveler’s Diarrhea
- Liver failure and induced brain dysfunctionality (Hepatic Encephalopathy)
- Bacterial infection in intestines
How effective is this medicine ?
Rifagut 400 tablet is very effective in the management of all the disorders as mentioned above. One should use it after discussing the condition and other symptoms with a qualified doctor.
What are the Side Effects ?
Some of the commonly reported side-effects of this medication are listed below :
- Skin rash
- Acute toxicity
- Green stools
- Damage to optic nerves in isolated cases
- Stomach upset
- Fluid deposition in lungs
- Difficulty in passing urine
- Sleep disorders
- Head ache
- Hot flashes
- Swelling in ankles
- Yeast infections
- Blood in stool
- Confusion and convulsions
- Mood swings, depression
If you experience any of these side effects, Inform your doctor immediately . This list is not a comprehensive list of all the possible side effects of this drug.
Consult your doctor immediately if you develop any other medical conditions while using this medicine.
What is the Dosage ?
The dosage of this medicine varies with the patient’s age, medical history and the problem for which it is being administered. For example, the typical dosage for adults is up to 1 tablet , thrice a day.
Please consult with doctor to know about the correct dosage for the speedy recovery of the patient.
What are the precautions I need to take ?
One should take following precaution before start taking this medicine:
- Should not take these medicine unless prescribed by a qualified doctor.
- If reduction in dosage is possible, reduction should be gradual.
- Do not take if you are allergic to Rifaximin or any any other component of this medicine.
- This medicine is not suitable for infants.
- Should not use this medicine for prolonged time.
- Keep the medicine in room temperature and avoid contact with direct sunlight.
- Do not take this medicine if you have liver disease.
- Not advised if you have hypertension and osteoporosis.
- Always take the medicine in proper prescribed dosage by a qualified doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are on any other prescribed or non-prescribed medication
- If you are breast feeding or planning to start breast feeding
- If you are Pregnant or planning to get pregnant
This medicine may impair ability to drive or operate machinery, so avoid doing tasks which require your focused attention.
Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
No, it is not safe to take this medicine if you are pregnant or planning to get pregnant.
This drug is classified by FDA as pregnancy category ‘C’ Risk not ruled out: Animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks.
It should not be taken without consulting with your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning to be pregnant. Please share the actual status of your pregnancy with your doctor for the correct prescription of this medicine.
Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
No, it is not safe to take Rifagut 400 if you are breast feeding or planning to start breast feeding. Consult with your doctor thoroughly if being prescribed for this medicine, as while breastfeeding this can get mixed with the blood and get transferred to the baby. This can result into bad or harmful effects.
Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
No, Rifagut 400 tablets are contraindicated to be given to children below 12 years of age.
This medicine is not intended to used for infants. This medicine can not only be harmful but also dangerous for them. Please consult your doctor to understand more about the use of this medicine.
Is Rifagut 400 available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
No, Rifagut 400 is not available as an over the counter or an OTC product. It is a prescription medicine, which is to be prescribed by a qualified doctor only. Please consult with the doctor regarding correct dosage, timing and duration of use of this medicine. Please do not self-medicate yourself with this medicine.
Frequently asked questions
Missed a dose of Rifagut 400, what should I do ?
In case you missed a dose of this tablet, you can take it as soon as you remember about it. But if it is close to the time of next dose, skip the missed dose and continue the routine with next dose.
Do not take double dose/ overdose of this medicine. Taking extra dose will not improve your symptoms and condition, rather it may cause serious side effects and medicinal poisoning.