What is Sumo Tablet?
Sumo Tablet is the brand name for an analgesic medicine, prescribed for the treatment of headache, pain and fever symptoms. This tablet is is manufactures and marketed by Alkem laboratories limited. It is available in the packaging of 15 tablets per strip.
- What is the generic name(s)?
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
- Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
- Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
- Is Sumo Tablet available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What is the generic name (s)?
The active ingredients and generic salts present in this tablets and there composition in each tablet is listed below:
- Nimusulide ———- 100 mg
- Paracetamol ——— 500 mg
How does it work ?
Nimesulide reduces the production of a chemical called prostaglandins. This chemical causes swelling and pain in body. The drug blocks the production and action of prostaglandins and relives the body pain and swelling.
Paracetamol has both anti-pyretic and painkilling properties. It works by stimulating the brain’s temperature-regulating region and increasing the pain threshold. Paracetamol increases the blood flow across the skin. It results in sweating, heat loss and helps in lowering the fever.
What are it’s uses ?
This medicine is majorly used in the prevention, control and treatment of the following diseases and conditions:
- Ear pain
- Tooth pain and pain in jaws
- Joint pain
- Heavy menstrual pain and abdominal cramps (Dysmenorrhea)
- Cold and flu
- Short term pain in any part of body
- Acute pain
- Leg pain due to inflammation in wall of a vein during pregnancy (Thrombophlebitis)
- Rheumatoid arthritis
How effective is this medicine ?
This tablet is very effective in the management of all the pain, fever and inflammatory disorders as mentioned above. One should use it after discussing the condition and other symptoms with a qualified doctor.
What are the Side Effects ?
The following list is a comprehensive list of all the possible side effects of this drug. Some of the side effects may occur very rarely. If you experience any of these side effects, inform your doctor immediately.
- Allergic reactions, papilations
- Diarrhoea, Vomiting and nausea
- Abnormality in blood cells and blood count
- Acute renal tubular necrosis
- Breathlessness, shortened breath, and Anxiety
- Muscular weakness, Dizziness
- Platelet deficiency in blood
- Rashes, Blister or bullae on skin
- Irritation and itching
- Abdominal pain, Constipation, gas and other GI disorders
- Headache, heartburn and acidity
- High blood pressure and hypersensitivity
- Liver toxicity, Liver damage and increased level of liver enzymes
- Swelling of ears and eyes, rashes and itching on face
Consult your doctor if you develop any other medical conditions while using this medicine.
What is the Dosage ?
The dosage of This tablet should be as prescribed by the doctor. This also varies with patient’s age and the medical condition being managed. Please consult with the doctor regarding the course and duration of administration of this medicine.
Generally, an adults may be prescribed with 2 tablets per day. The medicine is not advised for minors and elderly patients.
What are the precautions I need to take ?
While using this tablets following precaution should be exercised:
- Do not take this tablets if you are allergic to Paracetamol or Nimesulide, or any of the other incipients of the drug.
- Do not this tablets if you had been or currently suffering from gastric bleeding and ulcers.
- Women should avoid the long-term or regular use of this medicine as Nimesulide can cause infertility in women.
- Do not take this medicine if you have or had serious liver and kidney impairments in the past.
- Never consume more than the prescribed amount the medicine.
- Do not take this medicine if you are on other medications.
- Never take two different painkiller medicines at once.
Discuss your medical history and condition with a doctor before using this tablets
Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
Yes, it is safe to take Sumo tablet if you are pregnant or planning to get pregnant.
This drug is classified by FDA as pregnancy category ‘B’ No risk in other studies: Animal reproduction studies have failed to demonstrate a risk to the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women OR Animal studies have shown an adverse effect, but adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women have failed to demonstrate a risk to the fetus in any trimester.
Consult your gynecologist before administering this drug. Please, do not self-medicate.
Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
No, Sumo tablet is not safe to take if you are breast feeding or planning to start breast feeding. There are strong evidences that this drug is secreted through breast milk. It can harm the infant an affect the production and quality of breast milk.
Please consult your doctor before using this medicine if you are nursing a baby.
Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
No, Sumo tablets can not be given to children below 12 years of age.
Nimesulide is banned from use in the United States of America. In India it can only be prescribed to patients which are older than 12 years of age.
Always consult a doctor before administering this medicine.
Is Sumo tablet available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
No, Sumo tablet is not available as an over the counter (OTC) product. It is a prescription drug. It has to be prescribed by a qualified specialist only.
Frequently asked questions
Missed a dose of Sumo Tablet, what should I do ?
In case you missed a dose of Sumo tablet, you can take it as soon as you remember about it. But if it is close to the time of next dose, skip the missed dose and continue the routine with next dose.
Do not take double dose/ overdose of this medicine. Taking extra dose will not improve your symptoms and condition, rather it may cause serious side effects and