What is Trapic MF?
Trapic MF is a branded medicine available in the form of oral tablets which is often prescribed for women ( below 45 years of age) in managing indications of excessive bleeding during menstruation. It is manufactured by Sun Pharma Laboratories Ltd and is available in packaging of 10 tablets per strip.
- What are the Generic Name(s)
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Is it safe to take If I am pregnant ?
- Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
- Can this medicine be given to Children and Infants ?
- Is Trapic MF available as over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What are the Generic Name(s)?
The generic names of Trapic MF with their composition is described below:
Tranexamic Acid 500 mg + Mefenamic Acid 250 mg
How does it work ?
Trapic MF mainly works towards the prevention of breaking down of blood clots. The working of each generic is being described below:
Tranexamic Acid (500 mg): It belongs to antifibrinolytic family of medicines. It prevents bleeding during heavy periods, surgery or clotting disorders. It does not allow the breaking down of the blood clots formed in your body.
Mefenamic Acid (250 mg): This is a NSAID , a group of medicines which are non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. It stops the production of prostaglandins, a substance which causes fever, pain and inflammation, in the body.
What are it’s uses ?
Trapic MF tablet is mainly used in treatment of women with menorrhagia (cyclical heavy menstrual bleeding).
There are some other uses of its different generics’ variations, for example , Tranexamic Acid as an injection it is helpful in the following problems:
- in hemorrhagic complications associated with therapy it is used used to break down blood clots in the body, when the blood in the entire body begins to clot (disseminated intra-vascular coagulation)
- Preventing excessive bleeding in dental extractions and during cervical surgery in hemophilia patients ( people having hereditary blood clotting disturbances)
- Preventing excessive bleeding during prostrate removal surgery
Mefenamic Acid as both oral tablets and suspension is used to:
- reduce pains dureing menstruation
- reducing fever in some infections
- treat pyrexia in children
- pain including muscular, traumatic and dental pain
- post-operative pain
- headaches of most etiology
- as an anti-inflammatory analgesic for the symptomatic relief of juvenile rheumatoid arthritis (including Still’s Disease)
How effective is this medicine ?
Trapic MF is a very effective medicine for all the conditions mentioned above, if it is taken in the correct dosage frequency for the prescribed period of time by the doctor.
What are the Side Effects ?
The side effects of Trapic MF can be understood as against each generic content of the medicine as mentioned below:
Tranexamic Acid Side Effects:
- Excessive tiredness
- Abdominal pain
- Difficulty in breathing
- Pale skin
- Bruising or unusual bleeding
- Muscle pain
- Sinus pain
- Joint pain
- Bone pain
- Back pain
- Stomach pain
Mefenamic Acid Side Effects:
3. Peptic ulcer
6. Abdominal distress
9. Gastrointestinal bleeding
What is the Dosage ?
Generally it is prescribed for taking two tablets per day.Please consult with your doctor regarding the dosage and the duration of the course of this medicine, as it varies from one case to another.
What are the precautions I need to take ?
Following precautions should be taken while being on this medicine’s course:
- Ensure that its not taken close to the start of menstrual cycle.
- Inform the doctor if there is no change after three menstrual cycles.
- If you are allergic to any of the component of this medicine.
- Avoid if you are having low blood pressure.
- Don’t use if vision disturbance is observed
- Discontinue the use of this medicine if you experience any bad effects lke skin rashes, unusual facial swellings ( like on mouth, face, tongue, throat, lips etc.)
- In cases of renal impairment
- Not suitable in pregnancy
- Not suitable in lactation
Also , if your age is more than 45 years, you should not be prescribed with Trapic MF.
Is it safe to take If I am pregnant ?
No, it is not safe to take this medicine during pregnancy. Please share your pregnancy status with your doctor if being prescribed by this medicine.
Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
No, it is not safe to take this medicine during breastfeeding. Please share your breastfeeding plans with your doctor if being prescribed by this medicine.
Can this medicine be given to Children and Infants ?
No, this medicine is not meant to be given to children and infants, under any circumstances. It can have harmful effects and can be dangerous too. Please consult with your doctor for better understanding about this drug.
Is Trapic MF available as over the counter (OTC) product?
No, Trapic MF is not available as an over the counter or OTC product. It is a prescription drug. When being prescribed ,please consult with the doctor regarding correct dosage, timing and duration of use of this medicine.
Frequently asked questions
How long should I take this medicine?
For duration of taking this medicine it is better to get it prescribed from your doctor , as it varies from case to case.But if there is no betterment even after three menstrual cycles, inform your doctor.
Can alcohol be consumed when prescribed with this medicine?
No, alcohol should be avoided by all means when prescribed with this medicine.
What if i happen to miss a dose?
You can take it if the time is not close for the next dose. Don’t take double dose in any case. Its always better to consult your doctor in such cases in order to avoid any bad or harmful effects.
How to store this medicine?
This medicine has to be stored in a cool and dry place at room temperature ( below 25 degree Celsius), away from the reach of children. It is advised to use an air-tight container for the storage of this medicine. Also, discard the medicine post its expiry date.
What are its contraindications?
This tablet should not been taken in cases of :
- bleeding in subarachnoid region of brain
- blood clots causing obstruction blood flow, better known as intravascular clotting
- serious kidney failures
- problems in color vision