What is Unwanted 72 ?
Unwanted 72 is a branded emergency contraceptive available as oral tablets. These tablets are used for the prevention of an unwanted pregnancy as a result of unprotected intercourse or failure of contraceptive measures. This medicine is manufactured and marketed by Mankind Pharma Ltd. This tablets are available in the packaging on 1 tablet per strip.
- What is the generic name(s)?
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- Is this medicine addictive?
- What if I had an overdose of Unwanted 72? ?
- Can I drive after taking this medicine ?
- Can this medicine be taken on an empty stomach ?
- Can I take this medicine with alcohol ?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
- Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
- Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
- Is Unwanted 72 available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What is the generic name (s)?
Generic name for Unwanted 72 is Levonorgestrel. It contains Levonorgestrel in a strength of 0.75 mg per tablet. Levonorgestrel is a hormonal contraceptive used to prevent pregnancy within 72 hours of unprotected sex.
How does it work ?
Levonorgestrel stops the processes of the Luteinizing hormone (LH) and Follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) which are responsible for development of the egg. These hormones also prepare the womb for the implantation of the egg in the wall of uterus.
During the time frame of 72 hours from sexual intercourse, Unwanted 72 is capable of stopping all the following processes and prevent an unwanted pregnancy.
- It stops the ovaries from releasing an egg.
- It prevents sperm from fertilizing the egg that ovaries may have already released.
- It can block a fertilized egg from implanting itself to uterine lining.
Pregnancy will only be achieved if the fertilized egg joins and attaches itself to inner wall of the womb. This medicine can check this event and prevent pregnancy.
What are it’s uses ?
This tablet is an emergency contraceptive pill and one of the best way to avoid unwanted pregnancy. The medicine can also be administered in case the usual methods contraception, such as condom, have failed.
How effective is this medicine ?
If you take this tablet within 24 hours of having unprotected sex it has 95% chances to terminate pregnancy. The effect of the medicine can vary as per the delay in consumption of the tablet. If taken within:
- 24 hours – up to 95% effective
- 24 to 48 hours – up to 85% effective
- 48 to 72 hours – up to 58% effective
What are the Side Effects ?
This medicine rarely has any adverse effects on the body. Side-effects are usually mild to moderate and not life threatening at all. Some of the commonly reported side-effects are noted below:
- Delayed menstruation
- Breast tenderness
- Spotting or vaginal bleeding before the date of menses
- Flu-like symptoms
- Body aches
- Joint pains
- Nasal congestion
- Muscle cramps
- Upset stomach, bloating, diarrhea, cramps, and rarely vomiting.
Important – This medicine should only be used as an Emergency contraception and should not be used regularly. Frequent or prolonged use can cause serious health issues like:
- Ectopic pregnancy
- Irregular and painful menstruation
- Skin allergies
- Infection in ear, nose and throat
- Hormonal imbalance
- Damaged ovaries
- Prominent hair loss
Is Unwanted 72 addictive?
Habit forming tendencies for this medicine has not been reported. Most medicines don’t come with a potential for addiction. The government also categorizes medicines that can be addictive as controlled substances. Finally, do not self-medicate and increase your body’s dependence on medicines without taking the advice of a doctor.
What if I had an overdose of Unwanted 72?
Can I drive after taking Unwanted 72?
It is not safe to drive after taking this medicine if you experience dizziness or a headache as side effects. One should not drive a vehicle if using the medicine makes drowsy, dizzy or reduces your blood pressure. Please check for these conditions on your body while using this medicine.
Can Unwanted 72 be taken on an empty stomach?
This medicine has to be taken after food. Please follow your doctor’s advice on how you to use this medicine.
Can I take Unwanted 72 with alcohol?
Intake of this medicine with alcohol is not reported. However, alcohol intake with this medicine may increase the risk of birth control failure. It is better to consult your doctor before consumption of this medicine. Pharmacists also suggest not to take alcohol while using this medicine.
What is the Dosage ?
The dosage of this drug is only 1 tablet within 72 hours of having unprotected intercourse.
What are the precautions I need to take ?
Unwanted 72 tablet should be administered with precautions in the following situations:
- If more than 72 hours have passed since the unprotected sexual intercourse
- If the patient is already pregnant
- If you had an stroke, heart attack and issue blood clots in the past
- If suffering from undiagnosed vaginal bleeding
- If you have vessel damages due to diabetes
- If you are a patient of High blood pressure
- If you are allergic to Levonorgestrel or Unwanted 72
- If you are suffering from or had Breast Cancer
- If you are taking other medicines for diseases like TB, HIV or Epilepsy
Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
This drug is classified by FDA as pregnancy category ‘X’ Contraindicated in pregnancy: Studies in animals or humans have demonstrated fetal abnormalities and/or there is positive evidence of human fetal risk based on adverse reaction data from investigational or marketing experience, and the risks involved in use of the drug in pregnant women clearly outweigh potential benefits.
Consult a doctor before administering this medicine to a pregnant woman.
Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
It can be unsafe to take if you are breast feeding or are planning for breast feeding. Consult with a doctor if you are breastfeeding or planning to start breastfeeding before using this medicine.
Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
No, this medicine should not be given to children and infants. This medicine is only for adult women to use as an emergency contraceptive. Keep this tablet away from the reach of children. If a child accidentally takes this tablet, rush him immediately to your doctor.
Is Unwanted 72 available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
Yes, this is available as an over the counter (OTC) product. But in certain case of avoiding the unwanted pregnancy, it can be used as per doctor’s prescription. Please consult a doctor or a healthcare expert before taking this tablet.
Frequently asked questions
Can I take 2 tablets of Unwanted 72 to avoid unplanned pregnancy?
No, you should not take 2 tablets of this medicine. Only 1 is sufficient within 72 hours of intercourse. Taking more than one tablet can lead to overdose and increase risk of serious side-effects.
How often can Unwanted 72 be taken?
Unwanted 72 should not be taken regularly. It has to be taken only once in a menstruation cycle. Excessive intake of this drug can cause some serious side-effects like it can alter body hormones and make menstrual cycles irregular.