What is Vasograin ?
Vasograin is a brand name of a multi-ingredient oral tablet. The tablets are used in treatment of Headache and migraine. It is manufactured and marketed by Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd. It is available in the packaging of 14 tablets per strip.
- What is the generic name(s)?
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
- Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
- Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
- Is Vasograin available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What is the generic name (s)?
Vasograin tablet is a combination of many drugs. The active ingredients and their composition per tablet is listed below:
- Caffeine — 100 mg
- Prochlorperazine — 2.5 mg
- Paracetamol — 250 mg
- Ergotamine — 1 mg
How does it work ?
The medicines contains Caffeine which is methylxanthine. It acts against a adenosine in the body, and decreases the pain. Caffeine also triggerss Central nervous system, Muscle system, and heart and improves the metabolism.
Prochlorperazine is an anti-emetic drug. It works to counter nausea and vomiting. It is also used to treat disorders like vertigo.
Paracetamol is pain reviler and also an antipyretic.
Ergotamine contracts the blood vessels in brain and increases the blood pressure. The action of ergotamine results in relaxation in migraine and associated headaches.
What are it’s uses ?
This tablets are mainly used for the treatment and control of Migraine. But as Vasograin tablets have many active ingredients, it can be used in following conditions as well:
- Caffeine, in combination with painkillers; can be used to ease pain and headaches
- Toothache, Menstrual pain, throat pain, oral sprain and strain.
- Muscular pain, swelling and stiffness of joints, ear pain.
- Fevers, influenza and feverish colds.
- Mental disorders like schizophrenia.
- Also used in treatment of anxiety, vomiting and nausea.
- Vertigo’s caused by Meniere’s disease.
Please consult a qualified doctor before administering this medicine.
How effective is this medicine ?
The medicine is very effective in treatment of migraine. It works rapidly to ease the headaches.
What are the Side Effects ?
Below are the reported side effects that can occur from use of Vasograin medication :
- Muscle cramps
- Tiredness and drowsiness
- Vomiting, nausea, diarrhea
- Momentary bradycardia or tachycardia
- Tingling in fingers and toes
- Blood dyscrasias
- Bronchoplasm and centribular necrosis
- Liver damage, Hypoglycemic coma
- Rapid heart rate (Tachycardia)
- Nervousness, tremors and and restlessness
If you experience any of these side effects, Inform your doctor immediately . This list is not a comprehensive list of all the possible side effects of this drug.
Consult your doctor immediately if you develop any other medical conditions while using this medicine.
What is the Dosage ?
Consult with a doctor for the correct dosage of Vasograin for the patient. It varies with patient’s age , indication and other prevailing medical factors.
Generally, one or two tablets are prescribed to be taken in a day.
What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Take this medicine only if prescribed by the doctor
- Take full course of treatment
- Do not take this medicinal product after the expiry date stated on the carton package
- Tell your doctor if you are taking any medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are suffering from any disease
- Keep this medicine out of the reach of children.
Don’t take this medicine if :
- You are allergic to any of the ingredients of this medicine or any of their excipients
- You have a history of heart disease, depression, low blood pressure.
- You had any liver problems, bone marrow depression, involuntary muscle movements.
- You are suffering from Parkinson disease, seizures, alcoholism, prostate issues, and Reye’s syndrome.
- You are taking any other medication.
Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
No, this drug is not safe to take if your pregnant or planning to get pregnant. This drug is classified in pregnancy category ‘N’ it means “FDA has not yet classified the drug into a specified pregnancy category.”
Consult a qualified doctor or a healthcare expert before administering this medicine to a pregnant woman.
Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
No, this medicine is not safe to take if you are breast feeding or planning to start breast feeding. Caffeine and ergotamine can harm the fetus or an infant.
Always consult a healthcare expert before using Vasograin if you are nursing a baby.
Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
This medicine may be given to children after proper consultation of Doctor. The medicine is not suitable for infants as it is contraindicated for children less than the age of 2 years.
Always consult a doctor before administering this medication to children.
Is Vasograin available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
No, it is not available as an over the counter or an OTC product. It is a prescription drug. Buy only when prescribed by a qualified doctor.
Frequently asked questions
What to do if I overdose on Vasograin ?
Never consume more than the prescribed/ recommended amount of any medicine. If you have taken more than the prescribed dose of Vasograin, consider this as an emergency. Consult your doctor immediately. If the overdose symptoms are persistent after 3 days of stopping the medicine seek medical attention immediately.
Is ergotamine safe to take to during pregnancy ?
No, ergotamine is not safe to take during pregnancy. US FDA had classified it in pregnancy category ‘X’, which means studies have demonstrated fetal abnormalities and/or there is positive evidence of human fetal risk based on adverse reaction data from investigation or marketing experience, and the risks involved in use of the drug in pregnant women clearly outweigh potential benefits.