What is Zenflox OZ ?
Zenflox OZ is the brand name of tablets which help in controlling certain types of Bacterial infections. It is manufactured by Mankind Pharma Limited. It is available in the packaging of 6 tablets per strip. It is to be administered orally.
- What is the generic name(s)?
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
- Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
- Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
- Is Zenflox OZ available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What is the generic name (s)?
The generic medicines in each Zenflox OZ tablet and their composition per tablet is listed below:
- Ofloxacin – 200 mg
- Ornidazole – 500 mg
How does it work ?
Ofloxacin is a second generation of fluoroquinolone antibacterial. Fluoroquinolone antibacterials work by breaking the double-stranded DNA, and by preventing the production DNA gyrase enzyme. DNA gyrase enzyme is necessary for pathogens and bacteria to replicate and grow. Ofloxacin stops the synthesis of DNA gyrase and hence prevent the bacteria from growing and spreading the infection.
Ornidazole is an antiamoebic agent. It causes death of cells and inhibition of protein production by interacting with the DNA which is present inside the micro-organisms.
What are it’s uses ?
This medicine can be prescribed for prevention, control and treatment of following diseases and conditions:
- Various types of vaginal infections primarily.
- Urinary tract infection
- Sexually transmitted infections
- Infections in Urinary tract
- Infection in eyes
- Infection of bladder and kidneys
- Infection of respiratory tract
- Infection in joints and bones
- infection in reproductive tract
- Infection in Digestive tract
- Prostate infection
- It is also useful in curing infections which are caused by both single-celled parasites or amoeba called protozoa and a type of bacteria that don’t use oxygen (anaerobic bacteria).
- Ornidazole as a generic, belonging to the anti-protozoan class, also treats amoebal infections like amoebic dysentery, trichomoniasis, bacterial vaginosis, amebiasis,giardiasis.
How effective is this medicine ?
Zenflox OZ is a very effective medicine for all the conditions mentioned above, if it is taken in the correct dosage frequency for the prescribed period of time by the doctor.
What are the Side Effects ?
Commonly observed side effects of Zenflox OZ are being listed below:
- Dizziness, Drowsiness
- Blurred vision, light-headedness
- Liver damage( in cases of over dosage)
- Abdominal pain
- Allergic reactions like itching and irritation
- Allergic skin rash and skin reddening
- Shortness of breath
- Loose motions and Diarrhea
- Taste disorders
- Inflammation of blood vessels, High blood pressure
- Pain in muscles, bones and joint
- Chest pain
- Decreased appetite
Patients who are sensitive to “azole” type of antibiotics may experience some central nervous system defects like loss of coordination, tremors, rigid stiff muscles, tiredness and numbness of the fingers and toes.
Consult your doctor if you develop any other medical conditions while using this medicine.
What is the Dosage ?
Typically the dosage of Zenflox OZ ranges between one tablet to three tablets per day from one day to up to five days.
Consult with a doctor regarding the dosage and the duration of the course of this medicine, as it varies from one case to another. Dosage depends on physical health, medical history, age and on the disease the medicine is administered for.
What are the precautions I need to take ?
Following precautions should be exercised when under this medicine’s course:
- This medicine can raise the sugar levels in blood, it is advised for diabetic patients to regularly check the blood sugar levels.
- Avoid Alcohol consumption during and after three days of this medication.
- Be sure that you are not allergic to Ornidazole and Ofloxacin the main active generic ingredient of this medicine. Share with your doctor if you experience any abnormal change after taking this medicine.
- If the patient is old or is a child.
- This medicine may cause disturbance in concentrating well, hence, if you need to do certain tasks which seek your focused attention, such as driving or operating a machine then avoid taking this medicine.
- This medicine either has to be taken while having your food or soon after having your meal.
- Consult your doctor before taking this medicine if you have epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, kidney or liver disease.
- Before taking this medicine please do consult your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
- Before taking this medicine please do consult your doctor if you are breast-feeding or planning for breast-feeding.
- Renal And Hepatic Impairment.
- This medicine is not to be taken on an empty stomach, for it may cause an upset stomach.
- This medicine has to be swallowed with water as a whole.
Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
This drug is classified by FDA as pregnancy category ‘C’ Risk not ruled out: Animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks.
It should not be taken without consulting with your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning to be pregnant. Please share the actual status of your pregnancy with your doctor for the correct prescription of this medicine.
Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
No, it is not safe to take this medicine if you are breastfeeding or are planning for breast feeding. Consult with your doctor thoroughly if being prescribed for this medicine, as while breastfeeding this can get mixed with the blood and get transferred to the baby. This can result into bad or harmful effects.
Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
In some cases Zenflox OZ can be given to children under strict supervision of the doctor. Please consult with your doctor to understand more about the medicine in case it is being prescribed for a child.
But, this tablet can not be given to infants as it has to be swallowed full with water.
Is Zenflox OZ available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
No, Zenflox OZ is not available as an over the counter or OTC product. It is a prescription drug, to be prescribed only by a qualified doctor.
Frequently asked questions
Can I take medicine with milk, tea or coffee ?
No, you should not take Zenflox OZ with milk, tea, coffee or any other dairy products. Also do drink drinks with added calcium in them while you are on this medication.
For optimum results, take this medicine with some water.