What is Zincovit
Zincovit is a branded product manufactured and marketed by apex laboratories which is a formulation of some of the high concentration essential vitamins and minerals including zinc. This tablet is generally prescribed for the treatment of all immune deficiency disorders among other conditions.
- What are the Generic Name(s)
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- Is this medicine addictive?
- What if I miss the dose of this medicine ?
- Can I drive after taking this medicine ?
- Can this medicine be taken on an empty stomach ?
- Can I take this medicine with alcohol ?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Is it safe to take If I am pregnant ?
- Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
- Can this medicine be given to Children and Infants ?
- Is Zincovit available as over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What are the Generic Name(s)
Each sugar coated Zincovit tablet contains the ingredients listed below :
|Vitamin A ( as Acetate )||5000||IU|
|Vitamin D3 (Colecalciferol)||400||IU|
|Vitamin E (as dl α-Tocopheryl Acetate)||15||IU|
|Zinc Sulphate Monohydrate||63||mg|
How does it work ?
Zincovit is a supplement containing different vitamins and minerals.
What are it’s uses ?
Nutritional support :
Zincovit is a good nutritional support for patients suffering with acute and chronic diseases and also for cardiac, diabetic, tubercular and rheumatic patients
Zincovit is recommended as a dietary supplement for the following indications
- Loss of appetite
- Convalescence Fatigue
- General debility During growth
- Vitamin & Zinc deficiency
Immune deficiency disorders :
Zincovit is used for the treatment of all immune deficiency disorders including
- Chediak-Higashi syndrome
- combined immunodeficiency disease
- complement deficiencies
- Job syndrome
- Selective deficiency of IgA
- Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome
- Leukocyte adhesion defects
- Bruton’s disease
- Congenital agammaglobulinemia
- DiGeorge syndrome
How effective is this medicine ?
This is a very effective medicine when used for nutritional and dietary support and also in the treatment of all immune deficiency disorders.
What are the Side Effects ?
As Zincovit is a multi-vitamin tablet, it is a relatively safe drug to use and most of the side effects are associated with the over-dose, some of the possible side effects due to over dosing include :
- Kidney stones (rarely, due to Ascorbic Acid )
- Diarrhea ( due to Ascorbic Acid or Cyanocobalamin )
- Constipation ( due to Calcium Panthothenate )
- Upset stomach ( due to Calcium Panthothenate or Pyridoxine Hydrochloride or Vitamin D3)
- Headache (due to Cyanocobalamin or Pyridoxine Hydrochloride)
- Nausea (due to Cyanocobalamin or Pyridoxine Hydrochloride or Vitamin D3 )
- Vomiting (due to Cyanocobalamin or Pyridoxine Hydrochloride or Vitamin D3)
- Loss of appetite (due to Cyanocobalamin or Vitamin D3)
- Skin rash (due to Cyanocobalamin)
- Hot flushes (due to Cyanocobalamin)
- Itching (due to Folic acid)
- Bad cough (due to Folic acid)
- Wheezing (due to Folic acid)
- Chest tightness (due to Folic acid)
- Fever (due to Folic acid)
- Blue or gray skin color (due to Folic acid)
- Seizures (due to Folic acid)
- Swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat (due to Folic acid)
- Stomach ache (due to Pyridoxine Hydrochloride or Selenium Dioxide)
- Damage to nerves ( due to Pyridoxine Hydrochloride)
- Allergic side effects ( rarely, due to Vitamin A)
- Dry mouth ( due to Vitamin D3)
- Increased thirst ( due to Vitamin D3)
- Muscle pain ( due to Vitamin D3)
- Metallic taste ( due to Vitamin D3)
- Difficult urination ( due to Vitamin D3)
Seek emergency medical help or consult a doctor immediately if you observe any serious or persistent side effects.
Is Zincovit addictive?
Habit forming tendencies for this medicine has not been reported. Most medicines don’t come with a potential for addiction. The government also categorizes medicines that can be addictive as controlled substances. Finally, do not self-medicate and increase your body’s dependence on medicines without taking the advice of a doctor.
What if I miss the dose of Zincovit?
Can I drive after taking Zincovit?
It is not safe to drive after taking this medicine if you experience dizziness or a headache as side effects. One should not drive a vehicle if using the medicine makes drowsy, dizzy or reduces your blood pressure. Please check for these conditions on your body while using this medicine.
Can Zincovit be taken on an empty stomach?
This medicine has to be taken after food. Please follow your doctor’s advice on how you to use this medicine.
Can I take Zincovit with alcohol?
Intake of this medicine with alcohol is not recommended. Alcohol intake with this medicine may intensify drowsiness. It is better to consult your doctor before consumption of this medicine. Pharmacists also suggest not to take alcohol while using this medicine.
What is the Dosage ?
For adults the dosage is 1 tablet per day for as long as the treatment is conducted or as prescribed by the doctor.
What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Take this medicine only if prescribed by the doctor
- Do not consume alcohol while taking this medicine
- Refrain from consuming alcohol for atleast 3 days after the last dosage of this medicine
- Take full course of treatment
- Do not take this medicine if you are allergic to any of the ingredients of this medicine or any of their excipients
- Do not take this medicinal product after the expiry date stated on the carton package
- Tell your doctor if you are taking any medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are suffering from any disease
- Keep this medicine out of the reach of children.
Is it safe to take If I am pregnant ?
No, it is not safe to take this medicine during pregnancy.
Some of the ingredients of Zincovit i.e., Calcium Panthothenate, Cyanocobalamin, Selenium Dioxide, Vitamin D3 are classified as pregnancy category C, Animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks.
Where as Potassium iodide is classified as pregnancy category D, which means there is positive evidence of human fetal risk based on adverse reaction data from investigational or marketing experience or studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks.
Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
It may not be safe to Zincovit while breast feeding.
Many experts advise against the use of Potassium Iodide ( which is an ingredient of this drug ) to lactating mothers because of risk of neonatal goiter and hypothyroidism.
Consult a paediatrician before taking this medicine.
Can this medicine be given to Children and Infants ?
This medicine should not be given to infants.
This medicine should not be given to children, unless advised by the doctor.
Is Zincovit available as over the counter (OTC) product?
Yes, This medicine is available as an over the counter product.
Frequently asked questions
Can I take this medicine along with Telmisartan that I take for High blood pressure ?
No, One of the main ingredients of this medicine, Potassium iodide has some major interactions with telmisartan, combining these two medications might significantly increase potassium levels in the blood. High levels of potassium can develop into a condition known as hyperkalemia.
You might find this article interesting
Relent Syrup, is it safe? Uses, dosage, side effects