What is Zytee gel?
Zytee gel is a branded formulation which is an antiseptic and pain-relieving gel. It is used in the treatment of mouth ulcers, eye irrigation, bladder irrigation and several other problems. This gel is manufactured and marketed by Raptakos Brett & Co Ltd. It is available in market in the packaging of 10 ml per tube.
- What is the generic name(s)?
- How does it work ?
- What are it’s uses ?
- How effective is this medicine ?
- What are the Side Effects ?
- What is the Dosage ?
- What are the precautions I need to take ?
- Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
- Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
- Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
- Is Zytee Gel available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
- Frequently asked questions
What is the generic name (s)?
The active ingredients and generic medicine present in each ml of Zytee gel and there percentage compositions are listed below:
- Benzalkonium Chloride — 0.02%
- Choline salicylate — 9.00%
How does it work ?
Benzalkonium Chloride work by affecting the permeability by controlling the cytoplasmic membrane.
Choline salicylate is a non steroidal anti inflammatory medicine. It reduces the production of a chemical called prostaglandins. This chemical causes swelling and pain in body. The drug blocks the production and action of prostaglandins and relives the body pain and swelling.
What are it’s uses ?
This gel can be administered in the prevention, control and treatment of following diseases and conditions:
- Mouth ulcers
- Bladder irrigation
- Irritation of eye, ear, nose and throat
- Preoperative disinfection of unbroken skin
- Periodontal diseases
- Mouth ulcers pain
- Urethral irrigation
- Dentures pain
- Shoulder swelling and stiffness
- Sores pain
How effective is this medicine ?
Zytee gel is a very effective medicine for all the conditions mentioned above. For best results it should be taken under medical supervision in terms of dosage and duration of intake after due consultation with a doctor.
What are the Side Effects ?
The following list is a comprehensive list of all the possible side effects of this gel. Some of the side effects may occur very rarely. If you experience any of these side effects, inform your doctor immediately.
- Allergic reactions, papilations
- Diarrhea, Vomiting and nausea
- Breathlessness, shortened breath, and Anxiety
- Muscular weakness, Dizziness
- Rashes, Blister or bullae on skin
- Irritation and itching
- Abdominal pain, Constipation, gas and other GI disorders
- Headache, heartburn and acidity
- High blood pressure and hypersensitivity
- Swelling of ears and eyes, rashes and itching on face
Consult your doctor if you develop any other medical conditions while using this medicine.
What is the Dosage ?
The quantity of Zytee gel to be applied for the particular condition and also the frequency of application per day has to be as per Doctor’s prescription. Also, one must not exceed the duration (in terms of number of days) of the use of this gel.
What are the precautions I need to take ?
While using Zytee gel, following precaution should be exercised:
- This is gel for external use only
- Avoid inhaling and swallowing
- Avoid contact with eyes
- Be sure that the patient is not allergic to any of the component of this gel
- Avoid covering the affected are with bandage etc. to prevent internal absorption in the skin
- Monitor actively if being used for long-term
- Should not apply this gel on cut or damaged skin
- Avoid if the patient has acute and/or systemic fungal infection
- Use with caution if the patient is under the age of 2 years.
- Use with caution if the patient is an elderly person
- Use with caution with women, which are pregnant or planning to get pregnant.
- Use with caution with women which are breast feeding or planning to start breast feeding a baby.
Is it safe to take if I am pregnant ?
No, it is not safe to use this medicine if you are pregnant or planning to get pregnant.
This medicine is classified by FDA as pregnancy category ‘C’ Risk not ruled out: Animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks.
This gel should not be used without consulting with your doctor if you are pregnant or are planning to be pregnant. Please share the actual status of your pregnancy with your doctor for the correct prescription of this medicine.
Is it safe to take if I am breast feeding ?
No, it is not safe to use Zytee gel if you are breast feeding or planning to start breast feeding. Consult with your doctor thoroughly if being prescribed for this medicine, as while breastfeeding this can get mixed with the blood and get transferred to the baby. This can result into bad or harmful effects.
Can this medicine be given to children and infants ?
Zytee gel can be prescribed and given only to children above 2 years of age.
This medicine is not intended to used for infants. This medicine can not only be harmful but also dangerous for them. Please consult your doctor to understand more about the use of this medicine.
Is Zytee gel available as an over the counter (OTC) product?
No, Zytee gel is not available as an over the counter or an OTC product. It is a prescription medicine, which is to be prescribed by a qualified doctor only. Please consult with the doctor regarding correct dosage, timing and duration of use of this medicine. Please do not self-medicate yourself with this medicine.
Frequently asked questions
Can I apply it as many times I want in a day?
No, that will be harmful for the skin. Generally it is advised to be used twice or thrice in a day. Please follow your doctor’s instructions on this.