Oil Cleansing Method – Different Types and Benefits
If you ever saw an oil cleansing method based product present in your nearest supermarket and wondered how you would use oil to clear out the oil in your skin then this article should come in handy. You might have heard about the quote ‘Like attracts Like’ in chemistry which basically says that there are certain compounds who alike attract each other in order to make a bond. The same concept applies in the oil cleansing method in which we use a number of natural and pure oils to pull out the oil present in your skin. This makes your skin clean, clear and completely oil-free.
There are a lot of products that you can buy in the market or online to use as an oil cleanser but what could work better as an oil cleanser than the oil itself! Here are some remedies involving oil for cleansing.
Oil Cleansing Method – Different Types
Oil and Aloe Vera
- Aloe Vera Gel
- Olive Oil
- Rosemary Oil
- Cut open a fresh aloe vera leaf and extract a couple of tablespoons of aloe vera gel from it in a small cup.
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil and a couple of teaspoons of rosemary oil to the aloe vera gel and put it over a hot water bath for a few minutes until the aloe vera gel melts and gets mixed with the oil completely.
- Leave the mixture aside to cool down for a bit and then apply it on your face using your fingers and massage the skin for a short while. Try to use the oil when it is slightly warm and not completely cold as the heat will also open up the closed pores of the skin.
- Leave the oil applied on your face like it is for about 10-15 minutes before washing it off with lukewarm water and a mild moisturizer.
- Use this mixture two to three times a week to make your skin acne and pimple free.
Aloe Vera gel has a lot of skin beneficial properties which acts in tandem in taking care of the skin and making it better. The anti-inflammatory properties of the aloe vera will clear up the pores of the skin which cause acne and pimples and will also prevent them from coming back soon. Use this paste regularly for getting the best results.
Oil and Honey
- Avocado Oil
- Castor Oil
- Lemon Juice
- Make a mixture of equal amounts of castor oil and avocado oil in a small cup.
- Add a tablespoon of raw organic honey and a teaspoon of lemon juice in the oil mixture and stir the ingredients together to make a smooth thick gel-like solution.
- Wash your face first with lukewarm water and then spread this solution on your face and neck region. Apply carefully around the eyes and nose region and then massage it gently for a couple of minutes with gentle hands to exfoliate the skin and distribute the oil throughout.
- Wait for approximately 10 minutes in order to allow the oil to work on your skin. You can cover the skin with a warm damp towel if you can do that.
- Rinse off the paste using lukewarm water splashes and then apply a mild herbal moisturizer to seal the moisture inside the skin.
- Repeat this process 2-3 times a week to make your skin glow and clear of any trapped oil.
Avocado oil has various different vital nutrients which are really beneficial for the proper health of the skin and keeping it hydrated and moist throughout the day. In most cases when the skin is getting dry, it starts excreting excess oil to balance the texture of the skin. This oil gets seeped and trapped inside the pores of the skin and make the skin really oily. Use this oil cleansing method on a regular basis to treat this situation and get a nice glowing skin.
Oil and Turmeric Paste
- Avocado Oil
- Jojoba Oil
- Olive Oil
- Turmeric Powder
- Make a mixture of all the oils taking a tablespoon each of avocado oil and jojoba oil, and finally a couple of tablespoons of olive oil.
- Keep this mixture over a hot water bath for a few minutes until it gets a little warm.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of turmeric powder to the hot oil mixture and mix the ingredients together to make a thick dense paste. You can add some more turmeric to make the paste thicker.
- Apply this paste on your face and spread it evenly using your fingers as a brush. Massage the skin gently for 5 minutes.
- Leave the paste to settle down and dry out completely forming a solid layer on your skin.
- Wash off the dried paste with lukewarm water and a clean porous washcloth. Take a clean towel and pat the skin dry using it.
- Use this oil cleansing method to cleanse the skin three times a week.
The mixture of turmeric allows the paste to seep in the pores a little better and help the oil mixture to reach the places it couldn’t on its own. This is helpful for deep cleansing the skin and for people who suffer from constant oily skin all the time. Using this remedy for a couple of weeks will give you a normal skin free of any oil and trapped dead skin cells.
Oil and Oatmeal Paste
- Olive Oil
- Sunflower Oil
- Coconut Oil
- Take a handful of oatmeal and put them in a blender and grind continuously to make a smooth fine powder.
- Add a tablespoon each of olive oil, coconut oil and sunflower oil to the powder and mix them together to make a thick and coarse paste. Grind some more oatmeal and add it to the mixture if required.
- Apply this paste on your face and then spread it evenly by massaging it with gentle hands. Start from a circular motion and go outwards towards the ears and neck.
- Relax for about half an hour or so until the paste dries off on your face completely and makes solid flaky layers on the skin.
- Wash off the paste by rubbing it off with moist fingers and a damp washcloth. Try to use a washcloth soaked in warm water for best results.
- Repeat this process 2 to 3 times a week to not only get rid of the oil but also remove the trapped dead skin cells and other impurities.
The coarse and flaky texture of oatmeal makes it a really good cleansing and exfoliating agent which is adept in clearing up the coagulated dead skin cells, dirt, makeup and other impurities from the pores of your skin. This oil cleansing method also makes your skin glow radiantly and naturally after regular usage of just a couple of weeks.
Oil and Washcloth
The most commonly used oil cleansing method requires very little ingredients and is very easy to carry out. It is best for people who are not that adept in skin care and are just starting out to see its benefits or are busy in their life that much that they don’t get enough time to do a dedicated professional like a cleansing. Here is the method and the ingredients needed for that.
- Coconut Oil
- Castor Oil
- Olive Oil
- Take a couple of tablespoons of castor oil, a tablespoon each of olive oil and coconut oil and mix them together to make a clear homogeneous blend.
- The best way is to keep the cup over a hot water bath and then mix the ingredients to get the best amalgam possible.
- Apply this oil on your face using clean dry fingers and spread it across using gentle circular motions of your fingers. Massage the face for a little while so as to open up the pores of the skin completely.
- Leave the oil as it is for about 10-15 minutes so that it soaks up the oil present in your skin.
- Wash off the oil using a porous cotton washcloth. Keep the washcloth under hot tap water until it is soaked completely and then squeeze out the excess water. Leave it aside for a minute to dry out a little.
- Keep the damp washcloth on your face and relax for a couple of minutes. Turn over the cloth and repeat the step with the other side for another couple of minutes.
- Remove the washcloth to reveal the soaked up excess oil from the skin. Use the corners to clean out any leftover oil from your face.
- Rinse the face with lukewarm water to clean the face completely and then pat it dry with a clean towel.
- Repeat this step 3 to 4 times a week to get a clean oil free skin.
One of the simplest oil cleansing method and process of using an oil concoction on your face. The oil mixture helps in opening up the pores and absorbing the excess oil that was trapped in it. The oil from your face and the applied oil make a single blob which gets easily removed by water. Heat is an important factor when it comes to clean up the skin and pores completely from the roots. The oil concoction is in itself really beneficial for forcing out the trapped oil and other particles from the pores but it isn’t able to penetrate deep in the pores. Heat from the warm cloth helps in opening and enlarging up the pores of the skin making it easier for the oil mixture to get inside.
- Our skin is really sensitive to oils and one should be really sure about which oil to use as it can lead to severe complications.
- It is advised that you consult a doctor about what kind of skin you have and what oil should be suitable for your skin type.
- After it has been settled which oil you should use and which oil would have the most benefits you should first try out a test batch of the oil for a week to see whether any changes occur to your skin or not.
- Also when you are using a remedy which requires heating up the oil then dip your little finger in the oil first to check how hot the oil is. Using too hot an oil will burn your skin and can cause permanent damage to the pores.
- It is to be noted that leaving oil applied on your skin for too long can lead to the blockage of skin pores after they have been enlarged by the steam. This leads to coagulation of oil in the pores making the skin oily and also causing pimples in some cases.
Although there are no known side-effects of using natural oils on your skin, there have been some cases recorded which show that the oil cleansing methods explained above might be the reason for certain side-effects. Some of these side effects are:
- Headaches: This might be because of oil being warmer than it should be before applying. Putting too much pressure on the skin while massaging it can also lead to headaches.
- Pimple: Yes, even though the oil remedies clear up the pimples in most cases, in some cases it might just happen that using the oil mixture can cause acne and pimple breakout at the initial stages of the application.
- Red Skin: This happens when you use an oil with which your body is allergic but you didn’t know. Consult a doctor first and then give the oil mixture a trial run to be sure.
- Dry Skin: Using the oil cleansing methods too much can leave your skin dry as well. Applying the oil remedy too frequently can inhibit the process of the body generating natural oil, due to which the skin can become dry.
You might find this article interesting Anti-Aging Essential Oil Blend
Latest posts by Sri Krishan Singh (see all)
- How To Use Guava Leaves To Get Rid Of Dark Spots And Acne - May 9, 2019
- How to Make Eyelashes Grow – 5 effective natural DIYs - May 2, 2019
- 5 Magical Beauty HACKS Using TOOTHPASTE – Pimples, Dark Spots, Pink Lips - April 27, 2019