Onion Oil – Benefits, Home Remedies and Precautions.
Onions have some magical qualities which help to fight and cure various diseases. They also have certain properties which help you to get beautiful and nourishing skin as well as a shining and healthy hair. Onions are considered one of the world’s most popular and versatile vegetables. Onions are consumed and cultivated across the world. Apart from that, they are also used for various purposes such as for hair growth, for skin issues, and also for health-related issues. Onions have some significant medicinal qualities, due to which onions are widely used.
- Onions are rich in sulfur, Vitamins A, C, E and B-complex.
- They are known for boosting the immune system, and they also fight against infections.
- Onions are also largely used as an ingredient to control blood sugar and aid in digestive problems.
- They also help in brightening the complexion, protect against harmful free radicals and UV rays because of the presence of a plant pigment present in them known as quercetin.
- Its anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, and antiseptic properties help fight acne, reduce a cough & phlegm, and heal wounds.
One of the most essential products produced by onions is “Onion Oil“. It is regarded as the essential oil for skin and hair, it has some significant health benefits too. Another significant aspect of this oil is that it can be prepared at home, and hence, it is very cheap. It can be prepared with just coconut oil and onion. To prepare one has to cut onions into small pieces and boil it in coconut oil for 5 to 6 hours. It is one of the ancient beauty secrets, that has been extensively recommended for hair, skin and health related issues.
Benefits of Onion Oil for Hair:
It is a widely used remedy for hair care, and it is significantly used for hair loss. This oil has been used from ancients as an effective hair ingredient for healthy hair.
- It helps to nourish the scalp and to nurture the hair follicles.
- Onions contain sulfur, which helps to fight against hair breakage.
- The sulfur content in it minimizes the hair thinning.
- This oil has numerous hair benefits such as it helps in promoting and increasing hair growth.
- It also fights against dandruff and protects against lice.
- It also reduces grey hair.
How to use Onion Oil for Hair:
For Itchy Scalp & Dandruff
Onion’s oil can be used with aloe vera gel, it is an effective remedy to get rid of scalp infections. Aloe vera contains something called proteolytic enzymes which repairs dead skin cells on the scalp. It also acts as a great conditioner and leaves your hair all smooth and shiny. It promotes hair growth, prevents itching on the scalp, reduces dandruff and conditions your hair.
- Onion’s oil – 2 tbsp
- Aloe Vera Gel -1 tbsp
- Take two tablespoons of onion’s oil in a bowl and mix it with one tablespoon of aloe vera gel.
- Then apply this mixture to your scalp and massage it with the tip of your fingers for ten minutes and leave it for a couple of hours, and then rinse it off with a mild shampoo.
- Apply this mixture twice in a week, and you will see clear results within a few weeks
Hair Growth Formula
Onion’s oil and honey are extensively used for promoting hair regrowth
- Onion’s Oil – 2 tablespoons.
- Honey – 2 tablespoons.
- Take two tablespoons of onion’s oil in a bowl and mix it with two tablespoons of honey.
- Apply the mixture on your scalp with the help of cotton balls.
- Apply it on the roots of your hair, and leave it for one hour, and then rinse it off with shampoo.
- Follow this remedy for three days a week to get the best results.
Prevent Split Ends
Olive oil smoothens the hair and onion’s oil helps in reducing the breakage and promotes hair growth. This remedy helps to fight against the issue of hair breakage and it also helps to get a natural shine.
- Olive oil – 2 tablespoons.
- Onion’s oil- 1 tablespoon.
- Take two tablespoons of olive oil and mix it with one tablespoon of onion’s oil.
- Apply it on your hair and leave it for overnight, and the next morning rinse it off with a mild shampoo.
- For best results use this remedy twice a week.
Anti Hair Fall Treatment
It reduces hair fall and fights against dandruff. Use it thrice in a week to get the magical results.
- Onion’s Oil
- Take sufficient amount of onion’s oil in accordance with your hair length.
- Warm the oil for five minutes and then apply it on your hair.
- Massage it properly and leave it for thirty minutes and wash as usual with shampoo.
Benefits of Onion Oil For Skin:
Onion’s oil also has some significant benefits for skin as well. Onion’s oil is used as an essential oil to fight pimples, acne and other skin related issues. It is very useful for the skin as it provides a glow to the skin and smoothens the skin.
Home remedies with onion’s oil to get clear and glowing skin:
For Pigmentation & Dark Spots:
Onion’s oil and yoghurt face pack help in removing the pigments and dark spots.
- Onion’s Oil – two tablespoons
- Yoghurt – two tablespoons
- To prepare this remedy you will only need two tablespoons of yoghurt and one tablespoon of onion’s oil.
- Mix these two ingredients properly in a bowl and then apply it on your face.
- Before applying it on your face you have to clean your face properly.
- Keep the pack for 15 minutes and then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Continue this remedy for thrice in a week for one month, you will see amazing results.
Onion’s oil has medicinal qualities such as antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties which make it effective against acne.
- Onion’s Oil – One tablespoon
- Olive Oil – One tablespoon
- Take one spoon of onion’s oil and mix it with one spoon of olive oil properly in a bowl.
- Apply the mixture on your face and massage it thoroughly for ten minutes and then rinse it off with water
For Younger Looking Glowing Skin
Onion’s oil and gram flour face pack help in reducing ageing signs from the face it also helps in giving a glowing skin. This pack also gives you lighter complexion.
- Onion’s Oil – Two Tablespoons
- Gram Flour – Two tablespoons
- Raw Milk – One tablespoon
- Take two tablespoons of gram flour in a bowl, then add two tablespoons of onion’s oil and one tablespoon of raw milk.
- Mix the ingredients properly, so that the paste is thick.
- Apply the paste on your face with the help of your hand. Keep the paste for fifteen minutes and then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Apply this remedy twice a week this will give the best results.
- Onion’s Oil
- Cotton Ball
- To get rid of moles you just need to dip a cotton ball in onion’s oil and dab it on the affected areas of your face.
- Just make sure you apply it to the specific places only.
- Use it for one month, and you will notice visible results.
- Onion’s oil also helps to get cured of bites and stings, apart from all the things mentioned above.
- It also helps to get crack free skin and use of onion’s oil on eyebrows helps to get thick eyebrows.
- Onion’s oil also accelerates the growth of eyelashes, if applied on daily basis.
Health Benefits of Onion Oil:
Apart from all hair and skin remedies, it has health benefits too. The onion’s oil can help to fight against various health issues and diseases.
- Onions have a healthy content of Vitamins A, C, E and B-complex, which helps in fighting various health related diseases.
- Onion’s oil helps to control the blood pressure levels and also controls the blood sugar level.
- Cures Indigestion Diseases: Daily consumption of onion’s oil helps to fight against indigestion. Onion’s oil is a great remedy for the digestive problem. Onion oil helps to improve the digestive system, which helps in the proper digestion of food.
- Cures Fever: Onion’s oil has properties to cure mild fever. Consumption of onion oil helps to get rid of mild fever in an easiest and natural way.
- Cures Body Ache: Onion’s oil is also helpful for curing body aches and muscle pains. Massaging with onion’s oil will to get rid of body aches and regular application of onion will help to reduce the muscle pain permanently.
- Cures breathing problem: Onion oil is an effective medicine for breathing problems. Onion oil helps in clearing the respiratory tract infections, which indirectly helps to cure the disease of asthma.
- Controls Blood Pressure Levels: Onion’s oil also helps in curing the blood sugar related problem. It helps to keep the sugar level in check. It is very helpful for diabetic patients as onion’s oil keeps the diabetic level in control.
- Cures Cancer: Red onions are considered one of the most effective natural remedies for destroying breast and colon cancer cells. Onions have a very useful and effective compound called quercetin that plays an important role in preventing cancer.
Onion’s oil also has some side effects as well. Excessive consumption of anything causes side effects, likewise, excessive consumption of onion oil also has some serious consequences. Side effects of onion’s oil might include eczema or skin irritation. Excessive use of onion’s oil can cause stomach pain as well. Following mentioned rules needed to be followed in order to utilize the proper medicinal qualities of onion oil, rather than getting serious health harms:
- Firstly, onion’s oil may help in the clotting of blood but increasing the use of onion oil or using onion’s oil medicine will increase the risk of bleeding.
- Secondly, onion’s oil does help in controlling the blood sugar, as onion check the blood sugar level but consuming onion’s oil as medicine can cause harm to diabetic patients. As it lowers the blood sugar level, sometimes the overuse of onion oil decreases the blood sugar at a high rate which is very harmful to the diabetic patient. So onion’s oil should be taken in standard and proper quantity.
- Thirdly, onion’s oil though helps to restore healthy skin but the excessive use of onion’s oil can cause irritation to the skin. So it should be used properly and in appropriate quantities.
- People who have an allergy with it should avoid using onions as it causes more allergic situations and can cause eczema. Those who are allergic should not use onion’s oil on the scalp as well it will cause itchy scalp.
Onion’s oil should be taken with some precautions as well.
- Firstly, Onion oil should not be taken by pregnant or breastfeeding women. It can cause some serious harms.
- Secondly, if onion’s oil is taken orally, then it should be taken with warm or Luke warm water, otherwise, it will cause indigestion. If it is taken with warm water it will help to reduce the digestive problems.
- If onion oil is used externally, it should be taken in an appropriate quantity, excessive might cause some health-related issues.
Overall, onion’s oil is a very helpful and effective natural ingredient. It provides solutions to many issues regarding health, skin and hair. It is a natural ingredient which is full of useful components, which helps to cure various diseases. There are plenty of good sides of onion’s oil, so one should add it in their day to day life as it has some magical qualities and it also provides miraculous effects. One should’ve onion’s oil in beauty essentials to get glowing and beautiful skin as well as a luscious pair of locks.
You might find this article interesting How to use onion juice for extreme hair growth
Latest posts by Madhumita Bhattacharjee (see all)
- Onion Oil – Benefits, Home Remedies and Precautions. - December 26, 2018