SHEA BUTTER FOR HAIR
Shea butter is an off-white creamy substance containing natural fat which is obtained from the nuts of the Shea tree. This butter is extracted by beating the nuts and the dried fruits in the tree which are then boiled until it raises to the top. It will be in a raw or unrefined form after the extraction process. It is often known to be women’s gold’ as it is used for protecting the hair skin since ages. It has a softer consistency and a nutty scent along with it. The Shea trees are mostly found in the Eastern and the Western regions of Africa. They are mostly used for manufacturing cosmetic and skin care products. It is rich in compounds like vitamins, nutrients, plant sterols and fatty acids like oleic, linoleic, stearic, palmitic and many more. It has many advantages when it comes to skin care and solving many of the common skin and hair problems.
Most of people use this butter for enhancing their skin rather than hair. It acts as the best remedy in reducing the redness, inflammations and the itches caused due to the various external and internal factors. But, it has many of the advantages when it’s used as per certain effective home remedies. It also holds an important role in the growth of hair. This African butter can be the best solution for many of your hair problems. With lots of advantages associated with it, it can prevent hair damage and hair loss to a greater extent.
Benefits of using shea butter for hair
It can be the perfect natural ingredient for avoiding many of the hair related problems. It has a wide range of uses ranging from supporting hair growth to making the hair follicles strong to reduce hair loss. Some of its most important benefits are listed below:
1.Conditioning the hair
This butter is composed of saturated fatty acids present in it. These fatty acids make it an excellent conditioner for the hair. This African butter can eliminate the dryness retained in your hair even after a head bath. It makes your hair very soft and smooth. It removes the risks in maintaining the long hair and makes it very easier to grow long hair. It helps in retaining the smoothness and avoiding the twisting of hairs. By conditioning the hair, you can prevent dandruff and the other hair problems caused due to that.
2. Moisture sealing agent
It acts as one of the best moisture sealing agents when compared with the other natural substances. It seals down the moisture in your hair, thus, preventing the dryness causing conditions. It acts very well when it is applied on damp or wet hair. It locks the moisture content within the hair when applied in damp conditions. So, it maintains the moisture content in the hair. It also prevents the hair damage that is being caused due to the dry conditions of hair.
3. Solves Scalp issues
Being naturally filled with high nutritional compounds, this butter acts as a solution to many of the scalp problems. The vitamin E present in Shea butter is a natural healing agent. It is being widely used for skin care treatments. Thus, when applied on the scalp, it can cure the scalp damages and reduce the inflammations in the scalp. When applied in hair, it forms a thin protective layer which later on helps in reducing the scalp damage and the redness in those regions. It also nourishes the scalp with the fatty acids present in it. It also cures the scalp acne that is caused due to dandruff and other factors.
4. Prevents hair damage
It could prevent most of the hair damages that are caused due to dryness, scalp damage, frizziness etc. This butter is loaded with a lot of natural compounds that could provide a lot of nutrition to the hair. It makes the hair very strong by maintaining the moisture, smoothness in the appropriate levels. Hair damages are occurring due to various factors like shampoo, climate, dryness, oil etc. When used in hair, it could prevent us from most of the hair damages that are caused due to various factors. It makes the hair very soft and smooth.
5. Cures scalp itches
This amazing butter is known to cure skin related problems like scratches, burns, itches, rashes etc. So, during scalp itches when it is applied on the scalp, it reduces the scalp itches that is being caused due to some allergic reaction or agents. It soothes your skin and makes your scalp free from the itches. The soft texture present in it makes your scalp cool down thereby reducing the itches and rashes.
6. Eliminates split ends
Split ends in hair can be one of the greatest damage to your hair which affects the hair growth to a greater extent. The split ends make your hair very weak and increase the hair fall. This natural butter can be a remedial measure for this issue. It is filled with lots of vitamins and nutrients which will help in nourishing your hair and making it stronger. When applied on the split ends and on the other damaged portion of your hair, it seals up the splits and thus prevents the hair damage and hair fall.
7. Rejuvenating damaged hair follicles
This natural butter is an excellent emollient for the hair as it contains all the necessary nutrients in it. Hair follicles are the most important ones which contribute mainly to hair growth. It has to be strong for proper hair growth. But, hair follicles get damaged due to various factors. When those follicles get damages, it literally affects and prevents the hair from proper growth. It can be an effective natural remedy in resolving this follicle damage. When it is applied to the damaged follicle, the nutrients present in this butter makes the follicles to rejuvenate thus promoting the hair growth. It also prevents the hair follicles from experiencing further damages. It also prevents healthy hair follicles from getting damaged.
8. Preventing greying of hair
As we already know, Shea butter is filled with many of the nutritional compounds. but, one of the most important compounds is the Vitamin E which remains as an advantage in most of the cases while curing many of the hair problems. Vitamin e is generally referred to be an excellent and strong antioxidant. Premature greying of hair has become one of the major issues with the recent generation. The greying of hair is caused when the oxygen from the healthy cells gets transferred to the free radicals. These antioxidants present in this natural butter prevent this transfer of oxygen molecules into free radicals. Thus, the greying of hair at a younger age can be prevented by using this amazing butter.
9. Bacterial and fungal infections
Other than the nutrients, it is also composed of polyphenols also known as catechins, which have many properties that prevent the hair from damages. Polyphenols are such agents which have great antibacterial and antifungal properties. These properties will help your scalp to stay away from the fungal, bacterial and other germs infections. Thus it helps in maintaining a healthy scalp which can be a major advantage for the proper hair growth.
10. Increases hair growth
Shea butter for hair makes them very strong and smooth. It makes your hair to get nourished with the vitamins and the nutrients present in this natural ingredient. When all the problems like hair damage, scalp itches, split ends get cured by using this butter, then it automatically promotes the hair growth in every way. The hair automatically starts growing well without any of the major problems. The density and the length of the hair get increased automatically when the butter obtained from shea tree is being used on a regular basis. It boosts the hair with all of the essential compounds that are required for proper hair growth.
11. Prevents sun damage
This natural butter is enriched with high SPF content. This property helps your hair to have high sunscreen protection from the UV rays of the sun. This helps you to prevent your hair from the sun damages which could affect the hair growth and cause scalp itches, redness, inflammations and other hair problems.
12. Maintains the hair condition
In some conditions like after getting a chemical treatment for your hair during a hair straightening process, your hair might get damaged because of the chemicals applied on your hair. This might mostly lead to hair damage and scalp problems. The hair follicles could get damaged which will stop the growth of your hair. The butter obtained form shea tree can be a solution to avoid this risk. When it is applied on hair after straightening or hair ironing, it makes the hair soft and strong. Thus, it prevents hair damage and scalp infections.
How to use shea butter for hair – with oils
THis amazing butter can be used for promoting hair growth by mixing it with different types of oils. When applied with some oils, it has more advantages than when applied in the raw form. There are some of the oils which would best suit with this African butter for applying it on hair. This mixture of oil and this butter will work well on the hair and promote hair growth and prevents many of the hair damages. It maintains the normal condition of the hair and prevents the hair from getting disturbed by these external factors.
Here are some of the oils that can be mixed with the shea butter for hair care
1. Olive oil
Olive oil is known to be an excellent emollient that helps in preventing hair damages and also nourishes the damaged hair. It is also known to be composed of the fatty acids and Vitamin E, just like the butter obtained from the shea tree. When this natural butter is mixed with Olive oil, it acts as a very strong agent in preventing the hair damages and enriching the hair with the necessary nutrients. You can mix both in equal amounts and apply it on hair to promote hair growth. Olive oil also repairs the damaged hair and help you in keeping your hair hydrated. It helps you get rid of the flaky scalp. Olive oil when mixed with this amazing butter can help in faster hair growth.
2. Almond Oil
Almond oil is normally used for treating the split ends and the hair damage. Almond oil and shea butter for hair can be a great combination for reducing the split ends and thereby reducing the hair damages and losses. The soft texture of the African butter and light consistency of almond oil makes the best combination for applying in on hair. it also heals the damaged scalp skin in the head. When almond oil is applied on the hair, it makes your hair to be very silky and shiny due to its texture. The Omega 3 fatty acids present in the almond oil helps you in maintaining the overall health of your hair. It feeds your hair with proper nutrients when applied regularly.
3. Avocado Oil
Avocado oil has a very thick texture which will be suitable for the people who are suffering from hair dryness. It suits best for the women with the long hair who often face the struggles of their hair getting entangled with each other. It makes your hair very soft and conditioned such that the twisting of your hair gets avoided most of the times. Avocado oil when used with shea butter for hair removes the dryness in the hair and the scalp regions. It helps by acting as a conditioner to the hair which prevents the hair damages. Avocado oil can be used importantly for head massages. Avocado oil with this African butter can be the best option for massaging as it increases the blood flow and makes the blocked hair follicles to get unclogged. Thus the hair follicles become free from blocks and promote hair growth.
4. Sunflower Oil
As most of us know, Sunflower oil is enriched with the Vitamin E. Sunflower oil with shea butter for hair can be the best mixture to prevent the greying of hair. As mentioned before, Vitamin E consists of natural antioxidants which can prevent the premature greying of hair caused in many of the younger individuals. Sunflower oil is one of the best oils to be mixed with the butter of Shea tree as both have a very soft texture. Due to its high content of Vitamin E and the other fatty acids, Sunflower oil can be used with the butter of shea tree in preparing the various hair creams, lotions and oils. One of the most important properties of sunflower oil is that it is enriched with omega 9 acid. Omega 9 acid is an active compound which could stimulate the hair growth to a greater extent and also reduces the hair damage. It also stops the breakage of hair and also maintains the lustre of your hair.
5. Grapeseed Oil
Grapeseed oil can be the best solution for women who have very thin hair. The advantage of Grapeseed oil is that you will not feel its oiliness when it is applied to your hair due to its very light consistency. Grapeseed oil with the butter of shea can help you in preventing the scalp itches and the other scalp damages. The grapeseed oil is enriched with proanthocyanidins, a certain class of phenols which are found in most of the plants. These plant phenols help in maintaining your scalp free from the itches, rashes, inflammations and the other damages. It makes your hair very smooth and free from dryness. It prevents your hair from being greasy. When grapeseed oil is applied on hair, it loosens the dead skin in your scalp and thus, maintains the moisture at a proper level. The extensive proteins present in the Grapeseed oil and the butter obtained from shea tree make it be the best choice for hair care.
6. Jojoba Oil
Jojoba oil is suitable for all kinds of hair. It has excellent inflammatory properties which could reduce the redness, inflammations and the itches caused in the scalp. The mystiric acid present in the jojoba oil prevents the scalp from getting damaged. Jojoba oil when used with the shea butter for hair can be a natural moisturizer that could maintain the moisture content in the hair. It also makes your hair to look very bright and shiny. The jojoba oil helps the cells present in your hair to reproduce very quickly by themselves which makes your hair to grow at a faster rate. It can also be one of the best remedies to reduce dandruff issues and many of the scalp problems. Jojoba oil mixed with the butter of shea tree can remove the sebum present in the hair thereby promoting the hair growth. This can be an effective remedy to the women who face increased hair loss.
7. Coconut Oil
Since the olden times, coconut oil has been used regularly as a common means for healing the wounds, skin care and for promoting hair growth. The coconut oil is enriched with some of the triglycerides such as capric, caprylic, stearic, lauric acids, just like the butter of shea tree. These acids are known to produce a thin layer on the scalp when applied on the hair. Due to this thin layer, the moisture content in the hair remains intact. Thus, coconut oil with shea butter for hair can be one of the best solutions in solving the moisture deficiency problems in hair. When coconut oil is mixed with the butter of shea tree, it forms a creamy layer which makes it easy while applying it on hair. Other than this, coconut oil also reduces the dryness in the hair, thus, preventing the frizziness in hair. You can use this on a regular basis for promoting hair growth.
8. Castor Oil
Castor is generally known to promote hair growth and also used for the growth of a long, strong and thick hair. Castor oil has a thick texture which makes a thick cream when mixed with the butter of shea tree. Castor oil together with shea butter for hair can be a great advantage through various means. It supports hair growth by nourishing the hair with proper nutrients supply. It also prevents hair loss by making the hair follicles strong. When mixed with the butter of shea tree, castor oil can prevent the dryness in the scalp which otherwise would further lead to dandruff and other such problems. Castor oil can be more effective when it is mixed with this amazing African butter and is applied on hair. Other than the other common compounds, castor oil consists of omega 6 essential fatty acid. The omega 6 fatty acid can be used for promoting the blood circulation in your scalp which could help you in increasing hair growth.
9. Safflower Oil
The thin and light consistency of the Safflower oil makes it suitable for applying it directly on the hair. Due to its light consistency, many of the people prefer mixing it with the butter obtained from Shea tree for applying on hair. The light consistency makes your hair very soft and smooth. The Safflower oil is also known for curing the dead and damaged skin. So, when applied on hair, it prevents the scalp from many sorts of damages and also it cures the scratches and itches in the scalp. Safflower oil is rich in fatty acids, just like the butter derived from shea tree. So, when applied on the scalp it removes the dryness in the scalp and makes your hair conditioned. Safflower oil with the butter obtained from She tree can be the best combination to apply on hair during the winter season since most of our hair becomes very dry during that period. The thin and light consistency makes your hair lightweight even when it is applied on hair.
10. Apricot Kernel Oil
Apricot Kernel oil is another oil which has a light consistency. This property makes it suitable for applying it on hair. It also mixes well with the shea butter and forms a light creamy texture which makes it easy and more comfortable while applying it on hair. Apricot Kernel oil is also enriched with lots of compounds like fatty acids, vitamins and nutrients. All these compounds in the Apricot Kernel oil, when mixed with the butter obtained from Shea tree, becomes an added advantage. It makes your hair very strong by strengthening the scalp and the hair follicles. It also reduces the hair follicle damage and also repairs the damaged hair follicles. This oil provides the hair with proper nutrients and other necessary compounds’ supply which makes your hair to become very strong and thick without getting damaged due to most of the external harmful factors.
Hair growth recipes using Shea Butter
Yogurt hair mask
- 1/2 cup raw shea butter
- 2 to 4 tbsp of yogurt
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 to 4 drops of vetiver essential oil
Yogurt can be one of the best ingredients which can promote hair growth at a greater level. The advantageous feature of yogurt is that it is enriched with lots of nutrients in it. It consists of a wide variety of compounds that support the hair growth and can nourish your hair. It consists of a block of high protein content, multivitamins and a wide variety of minerals in it. All of these can result in faster and healthier hair growth. When yogurt is applied on hair, it nourishes the hair follicles very well and makes the roots of your hair to be very strong. It feeds all the growth elements directly to the hair follicles which could prevent all kinds of hair damage and help in having steady hair growth.
Vetiver essential oil
Vetiver essential oil has been commonly used for hair growth since ages. It is also commonly known as a cleansing agent as it protects your scalp from the impurities. It also has many antiseptic properties which can help your hair to be free from all the allergens and germs that cause the infections. It can promote your hair growth by preventing hair from getting infected. It also cures some of the scalp ailments like eczema, psoriasis, dandruff etc. It soothes your hair and makes it free from itches and burnings.
Apart from all the properties as mentioned before, olive oil has some other added advantages also. It stops the DHT hormone production which causes baldness by shrinking the hair follicle shaft. Thus it prevents the hair follicles from getting shrunk and reduces the hair loss.
Directions to use
- Mix all the specified ingredients in a correct proportion such that all the components get blended well.
- Apply the mixture throughout your hair and scalp.
- Apply it well such that it gets spread in an even format. You can cover your hair with a cap or a plastic cover after applying it on hair.
- Leave it to get dried for 45 minutes to 1 hour so that the mixture gets penetrated into the scalp.
- After this, you can wash it off with the warm water.
- You can use sulfate free shampoo to wash your hair.
- After washing, wrap your hair with a clean towel and allow it for a few minutes until it gets dried.
- You can notice the softness and smoothness in your hair after applying this yogurt shea butter hair mask. Regular use of this mask can promote your hair growth and reduce hair loss.
Coconut oil hair mask
- 1/2 cup of raw shea butter
- 2 tbsp of coconut oil
- 1 tbsp of Jamaican castor oil
- 4 to 5 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
As mentioned before, coconut oil is rich is many of the vitamins and nutrients that are required for hair growth. It also helps in promoting hair growth.
Jamaican castor oil:
Jamaican castor oil is rich in ricinoleic acid which could help in improving your hair growth and increase the blood circulation to the scalp. It helps in curing the bald conditions, alopecia and hair dryness issues. It prevents your hair from getting very thin and weak.
Eucalyptus essential oil:
Eucalyptus essential oil is mostly known to be an excellent hair stimulant. It stimulates the hair follicles and thus it promotes hair growth. The antibacterial properties present in the eucalyptus essential oil helps you in maintaining a healthy scalp. Eucalyptus essential oil has a refreshing smell which stimulates the hair follicles and increases the new hair growth.
Directions to use:
- Gently heat the shea butter and coconut oil by putting it into a bowl. You can also heat both the ingredients using a double boiler.
- After the butter melts completely leave it to cool down for some time.
- Then add the Jamaican castor oil and the eucalyptus oil into the mixture and mix well.
- Apply the mixture on the strands of your hair and scalp with your hand. Make sure that it gets spread evenly throughout the hair.
- Leave it to dry for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Then rinse your hair with warm water and a small amount of sulfate free shampoo.
- After washing allow your hair to get completely dry.
- Eucalyptus essential oil is mostly used by mixing with another oil while applying it on hair.
- You can also apply it before going to bed and leave it for the entire overnight.
- You can wash it off by morning. This can be more effective in promoting hair growth as it was left for many hours to get penetrated well throughout the scalp regions.
Coconut oil & Argan Oil mask
- 1 tbsp of raw shea butter
- 1 tbsp of coconut oil
- 10 drops of rosemary essential oil
- 1 tbsp of argan oil
Clogged hair follicles are often a great problem which causes dandruff, damaged hair follicles and hair loss. Rosemary oil helps in making the hair follicles free from the clogged conditions. It also prevents the premature greying of hair which stands as a major hair problem in today’s younger generation’s people. It also prevents increased hair loss by strengthening hair follicles.
Argan oil is highly beneficial when it is applied to hair. It is often referred to be the age-old beauty secret because of the numerous advantages present in it. It protects the scalp such that it fights against dandruff, germs and other agents that could cause infections. It also increases the elasticity of your hair and restores the hair to normal conditions even after damage. It makes your hair to look very shiny and thick. It minimizes the split ends and the damages in your hair when applied on a regular basis.
Directions to use:
- Take a bowl and put the shea butter and all of the oils (except the rosemary essential oil) together.
- Then heat the bowl with a pot of boiling water until the butter gets melted.
- After heating it, allow the mixture to cool down for 30- 40 minutes.
- You can use a blender to mix it properly until the double cream texture comes.
- Now, mix the rosemary essential oil along with that mixture.
- Stir it properly such that the oil gets blended well.
- Put the mixture into a sterilized jar and allow it to cool down for some time.
- This hair mask can be kept and used for a duration of about 6 weeks.
- Apply the mixture on to your hair and massage it well such that it gets evenly spread throughout your hair.
- Divide the hair into sections if you have long hair so that it becomes easy to apply.
- Leave it for 30- 40 minutes to get dry.
- Then wash it with sulfate free shampoo directly without adding water so that the oil in your hair gets reduced.
- You can use the shampoo until the traces of oil gets removed from your hair.
- You can use this on a regular basis to get rid of the dryness in hair.
- 4 tbsp of Shea butter
- 1 tbsp of coconut oil
- few drops of lavender essential oil
- 3 tbsp of rosewater
Lavender essential oil:
Lavender essential oil helps in conditioning the hair deeply. The fragrance present in the lavender makes your hair to smell pleasant. It makes your hair to grow faster and thicker. Like the other essential oils, lavender oil also has many hair growths promoting properties. Usually, people prefer mixing it with the other (carrier) oils for applying on hair.
Rosewater can help you in maintaining the moisture content present in your hair. It can make your hair to look very soft, smooth and shiny. It removes the dryness and the frizziness present in your hair. Rosewater also has many anti-inflammatory properties which help in maintaining the hair from dandruff, redness and itches. It also stimulates the hair growth by moistening the scalp regions and preventing them from dryness. You can possibly notice the changes in your hair once after applying the rosewater.
Directions to use:
- Boil the shea butter and the coconut oil using a bowl as mentioned in the previous remedies.
- After heating it allow it to cool down for a few minutes.
- Once after it gets cool, mix the lavender oil and the rosewater into the mixture.
- Now stir it with a blender very well such that a creamy mixture is formed at the end.
- You can store this in a sterilized jar and use it.
- Once after the mixture is done, you can use it as a hair mask.
- Wash your hair with warm water before you apply the mixture.
- Take a small amount of this mixture and apply it on your scalp.
- You can apply it and massage in circular motions so that the mixture gets evenly spread in your hair.
- At the same time, apply the mixture throughout your hair strands and at the ends of your hair.
- Apply it mostly on the areas where you could see the split ends in your hair.
- Leave the mixture on your hair to dry for a few minutes.
- You can apply more amount of mixture on to your hair if you could still feel the dryness in it.
- After a few minutes, you can rinse your hair with warm water and dry it using a towel.
- You can use this on a regular basis to make your hair conditioned.
- 1/2 cup of raw shea butter
- 1 or 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp of jojoba oil
- 4 to 5 drops of rosemary essential oil
Jojoba oil helps in promoting the growth of new hair cells which helps in increasing the hair growth and making the hair thicker.
Egg is such an ingredient which is enriched with omega 3 fatty acids which are very essential for proper hair growth. The protein and the vitamin contents in the egg are very high so that it helps in making the hair very stronger and thicker by supplying the necessary nutrients. They are composed of healthy fatty acids which can nourish the hair follicles very well that supports the hair growth. The yolk or yellow part present in the egg gives a shiny look to hair when applied. Biotin and folate are some of the other constituent nutrients present in the egg which support the hair growth. The egg yolk improves the look, feel and growth of your hair to a greater level. It also makes your hair long and soft. It makes the hair follicles to be very strong and hence, encourages hair growth.
Directions for use:
- Gently melt the shea butter by putting it in a bowl or using a boiler.
- Allow it to cool down for a few minutes.
- Then crack the eggs and put it in the bowl. The number of eggs to be used depends on the length and the thickness of your hair. If you have long hair, you can use more eggs depending upon that.
- Pour the jojoba oil and the rosemary essential oil into the bowl along with the egg.
- Stir the mixture well such that it gets mixed up properly.
- Then apply the mixture throughout your scalp and hair.
- Leave the mixture in your hair for 30 to 40 minutes so that the essence gets penetrated well into your hair and scalp.
- After it gets dried, wash it off with the warm water.
- Do not use hot water while washing since the egg is added up in the mixture and it can get cooked up.
for curly hair
In today’s modern world, curls have become the new fashion statement and people have started maintaining their curls by using many hair masks. Shea butter would fit perfectly for curly hairs to maintain both proper hair growth and the curls. As we already know, this butter is an African natural ingredient which is enriched with a list of compounds that helps in promoting hair growth to a greater extent. Most of the common problems that women with curly hairs faces are dryness, frizziness, unmoistened conditions. It can be a perfect solution for all of these problems. It acts as a perfect moisturizer for hair and also keeps your hair conditioned without any dryness. The emolliating properties present in this natural butter, which is derived from the Shea tree, help your hair from being greasy and heavy.
The following are a few hair recipes using the butter derived from shea tree for curly hair that can be used to promote hair growth:
Aloe vera gel recipe
- 1/2 cup of raw shea butter
- 2 tbsp of honey
- 2 tbsp of aloe vera gel
- 6 to 12 drops of rosemary essential oil
Aloe vera gel:
Aloe vera gel can be the best conditioner for hair when compared with the other natural elements. The Aloe vera gel is composed of a special type of enzyme known as the proteolytic enzyme. This enzyme helps in repairing the damaged cells and the hair follicles on the scalp. Thus, it prevents the scalp from getting damaged by dandruff and dryness. It also prevents the itching of the scalp occurring due to dandruff. It is also believed that aloe vera gel is one of the best natural remedies for hair loss and in curing the baldness. Aloe vera gel can promote your hair growth and also the regrowth of healthy hair in the case of damaged hair.
Honey has many properties that could help you in maintaining your hair conditioned. The emollient properties present in the honey could seal the moisture content within the hair thus preventing the dryness in your hair. This reduces the breakage and damages caused in your hair. It has a wide range of antioxidant properties which maintains your scalp healthy, free from any kind of infections. It cleans the hair follicles and makes it free from the impurities. The incredible healing properties in the honey act as an added advantage in promoting hair growth.
Directions for use:
- Put all the ingredients in a bowl or a boiler except the essential oil.
- Heat the mixture until the butter gets completely melted.
- Allow it to cool down for a few minutes and then add the essential oil into the mixture.
- Gently stir all the ingredients well until it becomes a creamy mixture.
- Wash your hair once before starting to apply the mixture on to your hair.
- Now apply the mixture on your hair strands and scalp.
- Make sure that the mixture is applied throughout your hair and scalp evenly.
- Allow it to get dry for a few minutes.
- Then rinse it off with warm water and shampoo.
- Dry your hair using a towel for removing the leftover oil after washing.
- You can feel the softness and the smoothness in your hair after the hair wash.
- You can use this mask once in a week to avoid the frizziness and dryness in your hair.
- You can avoid using honey if you want the mixture to be lightweight.
- Pregnant and lactating women can avoid the essential oils when used with this hair mask.
Tips for using shea butter:
You can use any of the below-mentioned essential oils to mix with the mask prepared using the butter of Shea tree for applying it in hair. Apart from the above specified essential oils, there are some other essential oils that can be mixed with the butter obtained from shea tree to be used as a hair mask. Some of these essential oils are Frankincense essential oil, vanilla essential oil, sandalwood essential oil.
1. Frankincense essential oil:
Frankincense essential oil helps in promoting the scalp to be healthy and moisturized. It helps in rejuvenating the damaged scalp and prevents the hair from sun damages. It is also used in treating hair loss. It also speeds up the hair growth process and gives a nice odor to your hair. It is said that Frankincense essential oil is considered to be one of the most sacred and holy oils from ancient times.
2. Vanilla essential oil:
The vanilla essential oil is helpful in making your hair very soft, smooth, shiny and silky. When the vanilla essential oil is mixed with the carrier oil and applied on hair, it promotes hair growth. The vanilla flavor present in the vanilla essence oil makes your hair to smell pleasant after applying its application. The fragrance in your hair will stand for a few weeks.
3. Sandalwood essential oil:
Sandalwood essential oil is another oil which is known for promoting hair growth. It promotes the growth of new hair in the regions where the scalp is damaged. It also helps you in preventing the bald conditions. This also has an odor which would give a scented feel for your hair.
- It is always better to use warm water while rinsing your hair after using the shea butter mask.
- You can apply these hair masks before going to bed and cover it up using a hair cover or a plastic cover before sleeping. You can wash it off after waking up in the morning. This can help you promote your hair growth by providing a better result as there is enough time for the nutrients to penetrate inside your hair and scalp.
- You can also use aloe vera juice instead of gel while using the shea butter on the curly hair mask. The end results would not differ while using either of the gel or juice. If you use aloe vera juice, then it is better to use only one tbsp of aloe vera juice because when mixed with the butter of shea tree, it should be creamy and not too runny.
You might find this article interesting Effective olive oil hair spa method at home to get silky soft hair
This article has been medically reviewed by Dr.Nagakeerthana S, MD (Dermatology) on 14/02/2019
Latest posts by Tharaa Nagendran (see all)
- My Skin Hasn’t Stopped Glowing Since I Started Using This Oil - August 12, 2019
- Apparently, This Gel Lightens Dark Spots and Pits in Just 10 Days - August 10, 2019
- Unwanted Facial hair Removal with easy Papaya Mask - August 10, 2019