Star Fruit Benefits For Health, Skin & Hair
Star fruit is a great looking tropical fruit which is common in the tropical regions like south and southeast Asian countries and even the Caribbean and Latin America. It is native to countries like India, Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia, and Sri Lanka. This fruit is oblong in shape and generally has a waxy green or yellowish color. It gets it from the shape it has when it is cut to reveal its cross section. Its scientific name is Averrhoa carambola and it is also commonly known as carambola. The texture of this fruit is juicy and crunchy. You can easily eat it whole too, with skin and all. This great fruit tastes sweet but can also be sour. It has a tart smell too which enhances its sourness.
It is perfect for consuming raw and it has many health benefits too. So, cut into this great and unique looking fruit and enjoy its delicious taste.
Benefits of Star Fruit
The nutritional profile of star fruit is very rich as it contains multiple essential nutrients, vitamins, and minerals for the body. Moreover, it is very light in calories. It is a rich source of nutrients like vitamins A, B, C and E along with minerals like Magnesium, Sodium, Iron, Zinc, Potassium, dietary fiber and more. Furthermore, it holds tons of anti-oxidants to help protect your health. This awesome fruit contains compounds like quercetin, gallic acid, and epicatechin.
Star fruit is not the most common fruit around but its availability is rising steadily as more and more people are becoming aware of its benefits. It has tons of benefits for the health along with hair and skin too. We have compiled this extensive list of benefits of star fruits to raise its awareness and improve the health of many. Now, let us get on with the various benefits this terrific juicy fruit provides.
Firstly, before we go any further let us learn about all the different benefits this brilliant fruit provides to improve your overall health. You will be certainly be astonished when you learn about all the advantages this beautiful little fruit can give you.
Helps with Weight Loss
Maintains Heart Health
Potent Anti-inflammatory Agent
Can help prevent Cancer
Improves Eyes and Eyesight
Has Strong Anti-Microbial Properties
Improves Metabolism of the Body
Is Pain Relieving
Helps provide a Sound Sleep
Good source of Proteins for the Body
Can help remedy coughs
Stimulates Lactation in Breastfeeding Women
Great for the Bones
Curbs Cholesterol Levels
Helps to Detox the Body
Star fruit contains tons and tons of dietary fiber in it. Dietary fiber is fantastic for stimulating the digestive system to improve its functionality. It does that by inciting peristaltic motion in the body and improved secretion of gastric juices which aid in digestion in the stomach. Foods rich in dietary fiber can also help to remedy various digestive issues including irregular bowel movements. Moreover, dietary fiber can ease the flow of stool in the digestive tracts which can help cure digestive issues like constipation, bloating, cramps, and diarrhea.
Consequently, it also improves the absorption of nutrients by your body. Dietary fiber is present both in the pulp and skin of this awesome fruit. Furthermore, the fiber in this terrific fruit also enhances the growth of bacteria in your intestines which are good for your health and fight off diseases and infections. Just one cup of starfruit can hold up to 4 grams of dietary fiber.
Helps with Weight Loss:
We know that Star fruit is extremely rich in fiber content. Moreover, it also contains lots of water, has a significant carbohydrate composition, and is very scant in calories. But still, it contains tons of nutrients in it too. All these properties make this an ideal food source to consume if you want to lose weight. The tons of dietary fiber and water in it fills you up very well. Hence, it prevents you from binging other foods which can add to your weight and harm your weight loss quest. All the various nutrients and minerals in it also help to make your body feel full and nourished. This curbs your appetite as well to help you lose weight.
So, eat away freely at this incredible and delectable fruit without a care in the world. A 100 grams of star fruit contains just about 30 calories which are minuscule for the number of benefits it packs in. Eat this tasty fruit as an evening snack to curb your hunger while also furnishing your body with essential nutrients. Just one fruit will supply you with 3% of the daily requirement for carbohydrates and about 10% of the daily requirement for dietary fiber.
Maintains Heart Health:
Along with all the health benefits, this amazing fruit will also help one of the most important organs of all in your body; the heart. Star fruit is practically loaded to the brim with potassium which is great for the heart’s health. Moreover, it also contains trace amounts of sodium in it too. These minerals are great for relaxing the blood vessels which transport and circulate the blood all over your body. Consequently, they help ease the blood pressure and regulates it to a more standard value. These minerals act as electrolytes within the body which aids in maintaining the blood pressure.
Maintaining moderate or normal blood pressure is a sure sign of a healthy heart. Hence, this fantastic fruit will help ensure that your heartbeat is healthy and your blood flow is too. Consequently, potassium in this fruit can also help prevent heart issues and diseases. Just a single cup of starfruit can hold up to a ridiculous 175 milligrams of potassium along with about 2.6 milligrams of sodium too which are boons for heart health and wellness. Furthermore, this small yellow-green fruit is a nice source of vitamin B9 (also known as folic acid) for your body. It curbs the risk of heart disease and stroke.
Potent Anti-inflammatory Agent:
Star fruit contains large amounts of antioxidants and flavonoids and saponins in it. These nutrients imbue it with potent anti-inflammatory properties. Hence, it is fantastically soothing for the body and skin and can even be used in the treatment of various skin issues and diseases like dermatitis and psoriasis. Furthermore, it also contains tons of vitamin C in it which aids in its anti-inflammatory properties. It helps eradicate toxins from the body and enhances the production and synthesis of collagen in your skin.
Providing antioxidants to your body is quite important for your health as they are instrumental in enhancing your immune system. These antioxidants protect your body and aid in fighting off issues like infections, damage from free radicals, toxins, and even cancerous cells. The vitamin C in this awesome fruit is one such anti-oxidant. In fact, it contains so much vitamin C that just one cup of it will supply you with up to 3/4th of your daily requirement of it. Vitamin C is a strong natural water-soluble antioxidant which improves your immunity to ward off various disease-causing and infectious agents. It will even help ward off free radicals from the body which could lead to cancerous growths.
Hence, eating a star fruit will not just provide you with a juicy and tasty bite but also help you maintain a strong and healthy immune system.
Can help prevent Cancer:
This property sure caught your attention as it would for anyone. Yes, it is right that this small and exotic looking fruit can help you avoid the infamous deadly disease, Cancer. That is because the star fruit contains tons and tons of antioxidants in it. These antioxidants not just shield the body from harm from free radicals but also help avoid cancer by curbing the mutational growth of cancerous cells in your body. Science is still catching up with this property and more and more studies are being done to scrutinize this effect on the body. A scientific study which was published in the Advances in Pharmacological Sciences journal has proposed that Star fruit can be refined into an effective natural supplement for fighting against and preventing cancer.
A different scientific study also showed that the peel of the fruit contains more antioxidants than the pulp. So, eating the whole fruit is not just possible but also practical and beneficial. Also, eating a ripe one than a raw one will also provide yours with much higher amounts of antioxidants. Moreover, as we learned before, star fruit contains large amounts of dietary fiber too. The fiber helps to cleanse the colon which curbs the toxicity levels in the body. This, consequently, reduces the risk of colon cancer significantly.
Improves Eyes and Eyesight:
Vitamin A is an essential nutrient for having a good 20/20 eyesight. Star fruit is a rich source of vitamin A for the body which will help improve your eyesight among other functions. Moreover, vitamin A can also help prevent and remedy eye issues and disorders like macular degeneration and cataracts. It has anti-microbial properties too so it is also known to treat sore eyes.
Has Strong Anti-Microbial Properties:
A scientific study has proved conclusively that star fruit contains potent anti-microbial properties. It eradicates harmful microbes from the body. Hence, it helps prevent and treat infections caused by salmonella typhus, e-Coli, Bacillus cereus, and other harmful pathogens. Consequently, it helps treat issues caused due to pesky microbes like eczema. This characteristic also protects you from colon infections to help combat the risk of colon cancer.
Improves Metabolism of the Body:
This terrific and deliciously juicy fruit also helps improve your metabolism. The vitamins A, B, and C in it help improve the metabolism of the body to keep it efficient and effective. The fruit also contains thiamine, riboflavin, and niacin in very small amounts which also aid in the metabolism of the body. It also contains potent amounts of pyridoxine and folate which further improve the body’s metabolism. All these compounds enhance your metabolism by making sure that important enzymatic and hormonal processes take place throughout the body wherever needed. All the above-mentioned essential nutrients have roles to play in many different functions. Which may include functions like nerve cell communication and energy metabolism to circulation and emotional control.
Is Pain Relieving:
Pains in the body are extremely annoying and can be crippling if increased to high levels. Health is considered the biggest wealth. If your body is working properly, it should be free of pain. Aches and pains steal away your attention and you find it hard to perform even simple tasks and functions. Star fruit, along with improving your overall health, can also help ease any pains and aches. It contains large amounts of magnesium in it. Scientists and nutritionists have suggested that consuming magnesium-rich foods can help cure headaches and backaches. Moreover, it can also help remedy muscle cramps and pain in joints. However, it should not be treated as bonafide medicine and you should consult your doctor if the pain is not subsiding.
Helps provide a Sound Sleep:
We just learned that star fruit is a rich source of magnesium. Scientific studies have directly linked this mineral to improving the quality of your sleep. Along with improving the quality, it helps increase the duration and peacefulness or restfulness of sleep. So, eat this awesome fruit regularly and you won’t ever wake up tired. It metabolism improving and regulating characteristics also aid it in improving this particular property. Hence, it can be used to treat sleep issues and disorders like insomnia.
Good source of Proteins for the Body:
Who knew that a tiny fruit like star fruit would be a good source of proteins a la eggs, meat, and fish. Your body needs proteins for a multitude of functions including cell formation. Hence, it is essential for the body as it maintains the overall state of the body and makes sure that it does not fall to disrepair and bad health. Ample amount of proteins in your body will also maintain your neurological and mental health along with regulating the hormones in your body. Moreover, consistent intake of this awesome fruit will keep your energy levels high and will prevent you from feeling down as well.
Can help remedy coughs:
The nutrients and compounds in star fruit are great and soothing for the body and health. Furthermore, they can help in curing your cough and soothing any irritation caused by it. Nutritionists have said that this brilliant fruit can also be beneficial for treating flu as well. Although, you should consume the fruit in only moderate quantities if you are suffering from either of these issues. Avoid over-indulging in the fruit and also avoid it if you are suffering from high fever. This small yellow fruit is also believed to possess slight expectorant and diuretic properties. Expectorant property means that it can help in the clearance of mucus from the airways. This is paramount for treating coughs. That is how this small delicious fruit can help treat minor health issues like these.
We already know that star fruit has potent anti-inflammatory properties. It also acts as a cooling agent for the body and can stimulate the production of saliva. Salivation can also help reduce phlegm and mucus in your airways. That is how it is effective in treating respiratory issues and infections like sore throats.
Stimulates Lactation in Breastfeeding Women:
This awesome fruit with this many benefits for the health can also aid mothers to enhance lactation if they need. This magical fruit is believed to increase the flow of milk in lactating mothers. Hence, if you are a new mother and are having any issues with the flow of milk or not producing enough of it, you can try consuming this terrific fruit to help you out.
One thing to note with the fruit is that if it is consumed in large doses it can act as an emmenagogue for your body. That means that it can stimulate or increase the blood flow during menstruation. So, be aware of this property too while consuming it. Be careful not to ingest it in large doses if you do not wish to harness this particular property.
Great for the Bones:
Along with all these above-mentioned advantages this small but amazing fruit provides for your health, it is also great for your bones. It helps to enhance your bones’ health and state and consequently also reduces the risk issues or diseases on them. We are fully aware that this terrific fruit is a rich source of a variety of different minerals and nutrients. Many of these minerals are fantastic for the bones and they enhance the bone mineral density. This makes your bones stronger and healthier and also helps protect them from issues like osteoporosis. Star fruit contains minerals like calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, and zinc. All of these minerals are good for your health but especially great for your bones as they enhance your bones’ health.
Curbs Cholesterol Levels:
We know that star fruit is brilliant for your heart health and its protection. Moreover, it can also help reduce the levels of cholesterol in your body to promote a healthier you. It naturally contains tons of fibers and very minimal amounts of fat. Hence, the magical fruit helps to check the levels of bad cholesterol (LDL) in your bloodstream. Furthermore, it also helps promote the levels of good cholesterol (HDL) in your body to improve your health. All this, consequently, diminishes the risk of heart issues and diseases like stroke, heart attack, and even atherosclerosis
Helps to Detox the Body:
Star fruit can be very helpful to someone looking to flush toxins out from their body. That is because this tiny little fruit is a known diuretic. That means that it promotes the production of urine in the body. Hence, the body can expel the toxins like excess fats and salts in it through urination. This awesome fruit aids your body in cleansing both of your detoxing organs of kidney and liver. Hence, this fruit is very effective in expelling harmful toxins from the body. However, you should use this fruit with caution and consult your doctor first and foremost if you are suffering from previous kidney or liver issues.
Scientific studies and research have shown conclusively that this fruit is brilliant for diabetics. It can help them to regulate and maintain their disease and keep the body healthy and well. Star fruit contains many properties which add to its strong effects against diabetes. Let us look at all the ways that this brilliant fruit helps you to maintain and control your diabetes so that it does not control your life.
- We are fully aware by now that star fruit is a fiber-rich fruit. It is packed to the brim with fibers. Fibers have potent advantageous effects on your diabetes condition. The fiber can avoid the release of glucose from foods after ingestion. Hence, it can keep the insulin levels maintained in the body. Just munch on a star fruit as a snack when you have a craving to avoid eating anything sugary but also simultaneously getting help with diabetes.
- This fruit is extremely low in calories and fats as we already know. Hence, it is ideal for consumption by a diabetes patient. It contains just about 33 calories which are a relatively minuscule amount.
- The tons and tons of dietary fiber in the fruit are fantastic for soaking up the bad cholesterol (LDL) from the body. Consequently, it reduces the levels of bad cholesterol in the body to help you handle your diabetes. Furthermore, it helps to shield the colon and its mucous membrane. It does that by binding with and stopping harmful chemicals from affecting the colon.
- We know that this fruit is packed to the brim with anti-oxidants. They protect and shield the body from various sources of harm. Vitamins in it like vitamin C and A protect the body and its cells from oxidative and free radical damage. Hence, it promotes a healthier body and improves your immunity to help fight against diabetes. It aids in protecting your cells from oxidative damage and reduces the risk associated with diabetes like heart issues.
- The nutrients in this great fruit enhance and increases the blood circulation in your muscle tissues. Potassium is the main element which helps bring this about. Hence, it eases the body to stand against issues related to diabetes like muscle cramps and such.
- We know that this fruit is fiber-rich. One scientific study proved conclusively the benefits that property provides to diabetes patients. The star fruit hold in it insoluble fiber-rich fractions. These are amazing at soaking up glucose and delaying its diffusion. This helps control and regulate its levels in the bloodstream and the body. It also helps to prevent the release of glucose from starch. Consequently, it will aid in regulating your blood sugar levels and keeping them low after meals by preventing the release of glucose from it.
- Consumption of this fruit by itself also won’t spike your blood sugar level. That is because it is absorbed at a slow and steady pace into the bloodstream. This helps diabetics a lot by avoiding any sugar cravings, crashes, or mood swings even.
Fresh fruits and vegetables are usually rich with essential nutrients for the body. Hence, they help improve health. Many fresh fruits also help out your skin by improving its conditions. Star fruit is also great for the skin and it provides many healing and curative properties to it. Consequently, it helps keep it healthy and clear. You can reap these benefits of star fruit for skin either by ingesting it or even from topical application.
- This exotic looking fruit contains compounds and nutrients within it which are soothing for your skin. We are already aware of its potent anti-inflammatory properties. That is how it is useful in treating a variety of skin issues and diseases like eczema. It can even help with the pigmentation of the skin.
- The antioxidants in it and the strong anti-inflammatory properties enable it to be an effective remedy for treating and preventing acne. It can even help heal and fade out acne scars. Consequently, it has properties to make your skin clearer and leave it healthy and flawless. Furthermore, the fruit contains decent amounts of zinc in it. Zinc is known to be work against acne to reduce the risk of pimples occurring or breakouts. Moreover, it works fine on people of all ages. It is so good against acne due to its powerful anti-microbial characteristics.
- It is a great anti-aging remedy as it contains ample amounts of vitamin C in it. Vitamin C permeates deep into the skin and pores and helps protect and reinvigorate the tissues and cells. Consequently, it prevents the formation of wrinkles and fine lines and helps fade any previous ones. Hence, it aids in making your skin silky smooth and soft. The antioxidants in it also aid it in this property. It contains oxidants in it like quercetin, gallic acid, and other polyphenolic flavonoids. These combat against damage causing oxidative stress and also eradicate any harmful free radicals. Hence, it protects the skin from damage which usually leads to the formation of wrinkles and fine lines.
- The nutrients and compounds within it help purify the blood to improve your inner health and well being. Purified and well-adjusted blood balance has great effects on your skin health too and it will make your skin look clearer and will impart a radiant glowing effect to it.
Since star fruit is quite helpful to the health of the skin you can easily create your own face masks by using this awesome fruit as one of the ingredients. Its beneficial properties will help your skin a lot and make it better looking and healthier. Now, let us get on with the masks.
Carambola Face Mask
You do not need much at all to prepare this face maks. Just a star fruit will do. That and a knife is all you are going to need. Follow the upcoming steps to use the fruit slices as a face mask.
- Firstly, take a star fruit and rinse it with clean water to clean it.
- After that, cut the fruit into thin slices.
- Then, sit in a comfortable position and tilt your head back.
- After that, place the thin fruit slices all over your skin.
- Lastly, let them rest on your skin for about 5 to 10 minutes or more if you wish. Then, remove them and wash your face with clean water. You are done!
As you can see, this is a very simple way to use this fruit to enhance your skin health. This mask will help cleanse your face and balance the oils on it to give you clear and cleansed skin. You can also use a mash or paste of the fruit to apply on the face or skin for treatment. Its juice is also beneficial as a topical application and you can utilize it as you wish too.
Face Mask for Acne Prone Skin
|Star fruits||2 medium sized|
|Lime juice||2 tablespoon|
How to prepare it?:
- Firstly, take 2 medium-sized star fruits and then wash them with water to clean them of any impurities and dirt.
- After that, cut and chop up the fruits and put the pieces in a blender.
- Then, turn on the blender to turn the pulp into a thick puree like consistency.
- After that, add in a couple of tbsp of lime juice to the blender and then blend some more.
- Then, take the mixture in a bowl and add in a quarter cup of pure warm honey to it. Mix all the ingredients together well by stirring them together.
- After that, apply the mask onto your face by using gentle massaging motions onto your skin.
- Lastly, leave the mask on your face for about 10 to 15 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water. Pat your face dry with a clean towel afterward and you are done!
We already know about the benefits of star fruit for the skin. The vitamin A in it will help shrink your pores and cleanse your skin to prevent acne and breakouts. Vitamin C will also protect your skin and keep it looking younger.
The lime juice in this mask helps in cleansing dead skin cells and other impurities from the skin. It also helps shrink your pores to improve your skin’s look and health. It also helps ensure that your pores are unclogged and breathing.
Honey is an amazing moisturizer for the skin. It nourishes and plumps up the skin while also aiding it evening out your complexion and making it lighter.
With Turmeric Spot Treatment Face Mask
|Starfruit||1 of it|
|Lime juice||2 tablespoons|
|Turmeric powder||1 teaspoon|
How to prepare it?:
- Firstly, take a medium-sized star fruit and then wash it to clean any impurities and dirt from it.
- After that, cut it up into small pieces and then blend them to make a thick puree.
- Then, take the puree in a bowl and add in 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lime juice into it.
- After that, add in 1 tsp of turmeric powder to the bowl and then combine all the ingredients together by stirring. You should obtain a thick paste-like consistency.
- Then, apply the hence-obtained mask onto your face and skin evenly by using gentle circular massaging motions.
- Lastly, leave the mask on your face for about 20 to 30 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water. Pat your face dry with a clean towel and finish with a moisturizer and you are done!
Turmeric is well known for the ways it enhances your beauty and health. It is potently anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory in nature. Hence, it is great for the health of the skin as it prevents acne and breakouts and aids a lot in healing and fading out their scars and blemishes. It even helps in lightening and brightening the skin and helps evens out the complexion and pigmentation of the skin. It even shields the skin from sun damage and helps prevent the onset of fine lines and wrinkles caused due to UV damage from the sun.
The benefits this queer-looking fruit holds are many as is clearly apparent by now. So, how can it be that it does not have any benefits for hair health and beauty? It definitely does. The ridiculous amounts of nutrients in it enable it to also provide some beneficial properties to your hair. Let us take a brief look at all ways star fruit can benefit your gorgeous hair.
- This is a citrus fruit so it naturally contains lots of vitamin C in it. Vitamin C is well known to improve the hair’s health and condition. Hence, it is great for treating your hair and head to improve its health and make your hair stronger and shinier.
- The abundance of antioxidants in the fruit also help protect the hair along with other parts of the body. It shields the hair follicles from various sources of damage to avoid any harm to them. This will consequently help avoid hair problems and issues like weak hair or split-ends. Moreover, it will also help make your hair softer and add a natural shine or glow to it.
- This terrific fruit contains tons and tons of vitamins including B-complex vitamins. These are fantastic ingredients for the health and condition of hair. They promote the rate of growth of hair and helps reinforce them to make them stronger to curb hair fall and loss.
Just like with the benefits of star fruit for skin, it can be used to create your own hair mask to nourish and rejuvenate your hair. Following is one such example of a DIY hair mask which utilizes this brilliant fruit.
Star fruit and Coconut Water Hair Mask
This is a great hair mask for improving the state of your hair. This hair mask will help stimulate the growth of your hair. Consequently, it will help make your hair stronger and longer. Moreover, it will also help impart shine and beauty to your hair and will combat against white hair strands. Overall, it will make your hair healthier and better looking.
|Star fruits||3-5 of them|
|Coconut water||200 ml|
How to prepare and use?:
- Firstly, take a few star fruits and then wash them to clean them from any dirt or impurities.
- After that, cut and slice up the fruits into small pieces and then put the pieces in a blender.
- Then, add in about 200 ml of fresh coconut water to the blender and then turn it one to blend the ingredients together thoroughly until you get a puree or a solution.
- After that, filter the mixture through a sieve to remove any solid residue.
- Then, add in 1 tbsp of pure organic honey to the solution and mix it in well by stirring.
- After that, wash and shampoo your hair first as you would normally do to cleanse your hair.
- Then, after shampooing and rinsing, wash your head with the prepared hair mask. Make sure to soak all of your hair and scalp with the solution.
- After that, massage your wet hair and scalp with your fingertips for about 5 minutes so that the mask can permeate deep into your head.
- Then, take a clean towel and wrap your head in it and leave it be for about half an hour for even more absorption of nutrients.
- Lastly, wash your hair and scalp and then dry gently with a towel. You are done now! Use this hair mask 2 to 3 times every week to infuse much-needed nutrients to your hair and make them stronger and better looking. It will make your hair thicker and stronger and more vibrant looking.
Other Miscellaneous Health Benefits and Applications
Who would have thought that this quirky looking fruit can hide so many benefits in it? It is practically a genuine medicine at this point, so abundant is the number of its benefits and uses. Other than all the tons of above-mentioned properties and benefits, it possesses a few more properties which will give you a leg up in a variety of your health issues. It is considered to have a very high medicinal value in Ayurveda. Furthermore, its properties have been studied and researched in detail. The conclusions from those studies confirmed the nutritional value of the fruit and whole tree and detailed all the benefits it supposedly provides. These are published reports which are available to peruse by curious individuals. Now then, let us look at various sundry benefits and usage scenarios it provides.
- The leaves of the star fruit plant are useful in the treatment of chickenpox and ringworm. The leaves are crushed and applied topically to fulfill this purpose.
- Tea or juice prepared using this fruit is known to curb high blood pressure and increase blood sugar levels.
- The extract from its leaves supposedly helps to relieve issues like angina and gastritis.
- It’s plant’s roots are also not left out. The root of this plant is used to treat headaches and provide relief from pain in the muscles.
- The seeds of the fruit can also be utilized to harness a couple of benefits for the health. It seeds are used in powdered form to soothe and calm asthma symptoms and attacks.
- The consumption of ripe star fruit or its juice is believed to bolster the appetite and keep your stomach and digestive health in a good place.
How to Eat It?
Now, comes the question of selecting a star fruit and eating it. The fruit is green in color when it is raw. As it ripens it color starts going to yellow from green. A yellowish-green or yellowish-brown are most probably the best one to eat. The fruit ripens naturally even when sitting in your kitchen. It becomes yellow and can develop brown spots when completely ripened. As the fruit ripens, the thickness of its skin also increases. So, a fruit with a thick waxy covering is a ripe and probably sweet one.
Many exotic fruits are quite hassling when it comes to consuming them but not star fruit. It is very easy and straightforward to eat it. You do not really need to peel it or anything as its skin is quite beneficial too and is perfectly safe and inobtrusive to eat. Follow these below-mentioned steps to properly prepare the fruit for consumption. You will see that it does not take much at all is very simple.
- Firstly, make sure to properly wash and clean the fruit to remove and any impurities or debris from its surface.
- After that, take a sharp knife and thinly slice off the dark tips along the ridges in the fruit. These can also be green in color and are not ripe.
- Then, you have to cut off the ends of the fruit. Cut off thin slice where the stem is and then the other end.
- Lastly, slice the fruit crosswise to produce thin star-shaped slices. Remove the seeds Now, just eat and enjoy this delicious and great looking exotic fruit.
You can consume the fruit in a variety of ways. Of course, eating it raw is a perfectly fine and even preferable option of ingestion. You can add it to salads or include it in desserts. You can prepare juices, shakes, smoothies, or even infused water. It is also great as a garnish for cocktails and also for various dishes due to its pleasing shape and colors. People also love using it to make jams and marmalades. Its juice is even used to flavor other dishes like shrimp and other seafood dishes.
Risks and Precautions
Although this fruit is ridiculously rich in nutrients for your body, it can also have some side-effects or harmful effects on your body and health. Hence, it is important that you study these and consult your doctor and stop its consumption if you spot any of these.
- Although allergies to this fruit are rare, they are possible. Hence, you should try a tiny portion if you are trying it for the first time. Avoid it if you spot any signs of allergy to it.
- Star fruit contains strong concentrations of oxalic acid so it can be harmful to health. Oxalic acid can lead to the formation of kidney stones. So, if you are having any issues in your kidneys, you should stay far away from this fruit.
- You should avoid eating this fruit or consult your doctor first if you are on any medications.
Frequently Asked Questions
Now, in this final section, we will take a look at a few of the most common and most queried questions that people have regarding this fruit. It is not the most well know fruit and many over the world might even not be aware that fruit exists out there which looks like a star shape. That is the reason we have decided to quell any doubts or curiosities you might have regarding this amazingly exotic and delectable fruit.
Q- Can you consume Star fruit whole, with its skin?
A- Yes, the skin of this fruit is completely safe and edible. Every part of this terrific fruit provides some benefits. In some cases, the skin is even more beneficial than the pulp in it.
Q- How does it taste?
A- Star fruits have a naturally tart or sour taste leanings. It starts off quite sour when young and turns sweeter as it ripens. Eating ripe fruit is the way to go through with this one. Its flavor can be described as a cross between grapes, apples, and citrus.
Q- Why is it called so?
A- Star fruit may not look like that it has a shape of a five-pointed star or starfish when it is not cut as it has oblong outer shape. However, when you slice it sideways to produce a cross-section, the shape becomes apparent as a star. That is where it gets its name from.
Q- Where can I find this fruit?
A- It is not the most common of fruits but it is getting up there in awareness. It is native to and quite common in the south and southeast Asian countries like India, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, and the Philippines. It is also quite common and popular in Latin American countries like Brazil and Carribean.
You might find this article interesting BEAUTIFUL WOMAN – List, Beauty Tips, Health Tips & More
This article has been medically reviewed by Dr.Geeta Sundar on 25/4/2019