What You Need to Know about Managing Irregular Periods with Natural Home Remedies
Irregular periods, medically known as oligomenorrhea is a common issue in women. Many factors such as eating disorders, weight loss or gain, anaemia, thyroid disorders, liver disease, hormonal imbalance, tuberculosis, miscarriage and other health conditions cause it. The irregular periods can be very painful for some women. These home remedies can help you with managing irregular periods and regulating menstrual flow :
Green unripe papaya is considered useful in regulating menstrual flow as it helps induce contractions of muscle fibres in the uterus.
- 200 grams of unripe papaya
- 1 glass of water
- Grind the unripe papaya till you get a paste-like consistency.
- Mix it in the water and blend again till you get a juice or smoothie like consistency.
- Drink it once every day.
Caution: Do not drink this juice during your periods as it can cause unnecessary heavy bleeding and more cramps.
Turmeric is considered to be a purifying medication herb which creates body heat as well. It is helpful in regulating menstruation and balancing hormones. The antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties relieve menstrual pain. Here’s how to use it to regulate your periods,
- 1/4th teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 glass of milk
- 1 tablespoon honey/ jaggery
- Heat the milk and add turmeric to it and mix well.
- Add the honey/jaggery to this mixture and take it off the heat source once it’s hot enough for drinking.
- Drink this once daily for several weeks.
This concoction is useful for purifying your body of all toxins which can be causing a delay in periods. It is to be consumed for several weeks or until you start seeing improvement in your menstrual cycle.
Ginger is highly recommended for regulating menstrual cycles and getting rid of irregular periods. It produces heat within the body which in turn helps increase contractions of uterus muscle, thus causing periods. It also helps fight off any infections which are causing a delay in periods because of its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. Ginger for regulating periods is to be prepared by following these steps,
- 1 tablespoon of fresh ginger
- 1 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- Boil the 1 tablespoon of ginger in water for 5-7 minutes.
- Add a little sugar to this mixture and mix well.
- Drink this mixture 3 times a day after your meals.
Caution: This mixture is not to be consumed during your periods as it can cause excessive internal body heat which in turn will cause cramps, gas and sometimes diarrhoea.
Cinnamon provides a warming effect within your body and significantly contributes to regulating your menstrual cycle as well. Here’s how to use cinnamon to manage irregular periods,
- 1 teaspoon powdered cinnamon powder
- 1 glass of warm milk
- Take a glass of milk and warm it over the stove for 5 minutes.
- Add the cinnamon powder to this milk and warm it for another minute.
- If needed, add 1 teaspoon of sugar to this mixture.
- Drink this mixture every day till you see a difference in your menstrual cycle.
It is considered to be very effective in eradicating menstrual cramps as well, thus can be consumed during your periods.
Cumin is loaded with many health benefits and soaked cumin can be used to treat irregular periods. Here’s how to use cumin to manage irregular periods,
- 2 tablespoons of cumin seeds
- 1 cup of water
- Soak the cumin seeds in water.
- Leave it overnight and drink both the water and cumin seeds in the morning.
- You need to drink this water daily to regularize your period.
It can also be consumed during your periods to boost immunity and relieve any period related constipation and gas.
These home remedies can help you regularize your periods without using any hormone pills and other treatments easily. They are simple and quick ways to organically treat the irregular periods. If you have any suggestions about managing irregular period with natural home remedies, let us know in the comments below!